questions about swimming and shea butter

bellezanegra826

Hello ladies, I know it seems like I only post questions and not solutions but anyway, I have yet another question. I have to take a swimming class next year b/c UNC in their infinate wisdom thinks that passing a swimming test is just as important as passing calculus. So, I have to learn to swim in order to graduate. I wanted to try braids b/c I saw in somone's profile how their hair grew so long while in braids. Would it be advisable for me to get braids next semester or would that be adding insult to injury? Has anyone here taken a semester of swimming and lived to tell about it? I don't want my hair to suffer from chlorine exposure but I also would like to gradute from college. Also for those of you who use shea butter is there a difference between shea butter that you put on your skin and shea butter that you put on your hair? I found some really nice brazilian nut oil shea butter at target and I wanted to know if it was safe to put on my hair. TIA!

Healthb4Length

Having braids (I'm assuming with added hair) while swimming may not be the best route to go. I'm imaginining that it could be heavy and cumbersome fitting the braids under a swimcap and drying time maybe a huge pain! If you don't get braids then you must ALWAYS but a conditioner in your hair (even if you put on a swim cap) prior to entering chlorinated H20. You can also use a swimmer's shampoo and conditioners (you can find these at your local healthfood stores and vitamin shoppes), Aubrey Organics sells really good ones! As for the Shea butter, the ones that they sell at the store you described are mainly refined shea butters, they are okay but in my opinion do not compare to the real unrefined shea butter that gives great moisture and and hold. Plus the unrefined is more cost effective and will last you a lot longer because a little truely goes a long way!:)

lawgirl02

I took at 1-2 month swimming class w/ human hair micros and I was fine. I braided my hair in 3 plaits and put a very watered down conditioner on my braids before I put my swim cap on. After class I would rinse my hair with a diluted shampoo (CON). I also did a ACV rinse once a week. My hair was healthy when I finally took the braid out.

The only drawback was the braids lasted about 6 weeks.

Hey, I'm taking a swim class this semester (aww that darn swim test). I personally was scared to get braids, so here is my regimen for this semester.

I swim 2x per week tuesday and thursdays. Before i go into the pool I wet my hair and put conditioner on it then cover with swim cap. After class I wash my hair with Aubrey Organics swimmer's shampoo (highly recommended) and follow with a moisturizing con for 10 minutes. I do the same thing on Thursday, only I follw with a light protein under the dryer for 30 minutes. It's a pain having to do all this but my hair as been holding up fine so far ( I did experience some dryness in the beginning). Also, I do a hot oil treatment at least 2x per month.

I had cornrows for 2 weeks this semester for those I would just wet them and add conditioner before going in the pool, and shampoo afterwards.

good luck

CatSuga

bellezanegra826 said:
so micros are not out of the question or are they?

I would go with cornrows(very, very small cornrows) instead of micros.

Though I do believe a good swim cap with vaseline around with edges would do.

rai

bellezanegra826 said:
so micros are not out of the question or are they?

]
Micros are not out of the question. I have taken a swim class and I had micros. I got someone who did them really well (used good hair, took her time, etc) my braids stayed in shape. I washed my hair after each swim, but I think adding an oil or conditioner before swimming to the hair is a good idea too. Oh, I will warn you though, I have gotten braids before and after swimming one time they look all fuzzy. It's all about how they get done. They lady that did my hair knew that I was going to swim alot and she really hooked me up.