Question from a newbie: Air dry after washing

Keen

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I have been reading a lot of the forum today. I've read all about vitamins, conditioning and moisturizing. One question that I didn't find a specific answer for is drying your hair after you wash.

I've read that you shouldn't blow dry your hair or hot curl it or stay away from heat altoghether except during deep conditionning. I would like to air dry my hair but I have relaxed hair so it wouldn't be straight once it is dry therfore I would have to hotcomb it to get it straight. I want to grow my hair and stay away from heat styling. How can get a nice set or straight hair without using heat? Do you use a specific product when air drying that keeps your hair staight? Should I wrap it or roller set it and sit under a hat dryer (that is still heat even though I've heard it's not as bad as blowdrying)?

Please advice on how to style after washing without heat and still have my hair look nice.

Thanks everyone
Keen

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Welcome Keen!:) I air dry my hair every time that I wash it. Like you, I also have relaxed hair. I find that using a good pomade (black seed) while the hair is still wet helps to keep my hair straight. You could also try a satin wrap to keep your edges straight at night.

Keen

I think 4A/4B. So would wrapping it after it dries keep the ends from looking frizzy?

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
What works for me is pinning my ends under, and adding a little extra oil to them. Don't forget to use the satin cap along with the wrap to protect the rest of your hair.

I usually don't use the wrap until it is time for my relaxer again. I prefer to use the satin cap. When I was using the wrap frequently, it caused my edges to thin out. So now, I just use it around the time when my edges really need straightening *touch up time*.

LiqueXX

You could also try the ponytail method, it also allows relaxed hair to dry straight. Rollersetting is also good. The point is to avoid direct heat, blowdryer and hot comb, so that you don't dry out your hair. You can do searches on both methods listed above and on air drying in general.

soslychic

I agree with the rollersetting. I can get my hair straight without any DIRECT source of heat (I do use my hooded dryer). Plus I get more bounce and I like the curls it gives me or if you don't want curls, just wrap it out straight (that's something that I've never been good at though).