Air dry with Nettle tea or Scurl?

yodie

I've always hated air drying vs. blowdrying. I'm starting to hate blowdrying as well. My hair can't doesn't do well with all the heat.
My hair didn't air dry well even when I used nice leave ins (other than Kimmaytube's. Her's worked best).

I wear straight styles and would LOVE to eliminate the blowdryer.
Today I air dryed my hair with a nettle rinse and it's so soft. I can comb through it and probably maxiglide it with steam. I haven't tried Scurl, but I like Scurl for moisture as well.

So, can anyone share whether they've air dried with a nettle tea rinse or Scurl?

Sidenote to Nonie. You have always stressed using a heat protectant to me and in posts. Well, after much unecessary heat damage, I finally got the message. No one and I do mean no one will ever put another hot anything on my hair without first using some kind of heat protectant.

Thanks.

Nonie

(((Yodie))), I'm so proud of you! :grin: One can have good results with no damage without using a protectant, but why take a chance, eh?

BTW, I don't think S Curl would work well on straight hair. It draws moisture into itself from the air so I think you'd have immediate reversion if you used it on straight hair. On non-straight hair it's the shizzle. Also when S Curl is added to wet hair, it dries hard...so again not really the ideal thing for airdrying if you want immediately soft hair. But once your hair is dry and your reapply S Curl, you will get soft hair for days. But your hair will not be straight; it will look like this:

yodie

And that's exactly the way my hair looks right now. Lol!

Thanks, Nonie.
I've taken way too many chances. I'm loving this nettle tea rinse at the moment. My hair is really soft and moisturized.

yodie

Not at all.

I stepped one tea bag in boiling water. I let it sit out for awhile until it cooled down. I usually pour it over my head after I rinse out my DC, but I forgot this time around. Instead, I poured the tea in a spriz bottle and spritzed my hair with it.

Simple. Try it and let me know how your hair feels.

Nonie

yodie, it sounds like a type of rinse, kinda like the ACV rinse I do at the end of my wash.

Does it keep your hair moisturized, or are you now a bare hair gangsta like "someone I know"? I suppose you comb your hair while wet and then just let it be? Do you have to wet it again before putting it in braids for bed or how do you put your hair to bed?

yodie

Yep, it's a rinse or a spritz. I love that Nettle tea is just tea. I really like Scurl, but it has all the other stuff in it. I'm not knocking all that other stuff, 'cause I'll use whatever, as long as it works on my hair.

I might be wrong, but I think rinsing with nettle tea will allow me to skip the blowdrying process, as long as I'm the one doing my hair. Most stylists aren't patient enough. Im going to experiment and see if I can really eliminate the blowdryer. I'd wash, DC, rinse with nettle, detangle, and then twist my hair. I always use those metal clips at the root of my twist to stretch the root flat, or to make it lay a little flatter. I'll either air dry or get under my tourmaline hooded dryer. (I dont think a hooded dryer is the bad kind of heat). I'd also replace the single twists with flat twists, to stretch a little more.

I know this sounds like alot, but I've had MANY, MANY setbacks and I'm on the road to having a natural, let her do what she wants, twist out worn in an updo.

Nonie, I'll be catching up to that "someone you know" in about two years or so. I'm protective styling and eliminating alot of heat with tracks. It's really helping.

NaturalPath

In the past I have air dried with both. My hair hates glycerin so therefore my hair hated air drying with S-curl.

Nettle tea rinses always made my hair soft and well conditioned. I prefered airdrying with nettle tea

If memory served me correctly, this is a texture shot of my hair just airdrying with nettle tea taken 2 years ago

Last edited:

Nonie

In the past I have air dried with both. My hair hates glycerin so therefore my hair hated air drying with S-curl.

Nettle tea rinses always made my hair soft and well conditioned. I prefered airdrying with nettle tea

If memory served me correctly, this is a texture shot of my hair just airdrying with nettle tea taken 2 years ago

Mane_Attraxion, your hair looks beautiful!

I'm finding this all so fascinating coz as many of you know, I hate product on my twists so I go bare but I love the idea of having a "spritz" besides the ACV one I use--just as a plan B.

So did you just use it and nothing else and your hair stayed as soft as it looks all day? Do you have to spritz again to braid or put your hair to bed or does it just have a "conditioned" feel that means you can just part it and braid without static noise like you're about to start a fire due to being dry?

Your hair looks very moisturized. Is that how it feels too? How often do you have to spritz?

Thanks @yodie for this thread.

NaturalPath

@Mane_Attraxion, your hair looks beautiful!

I'm finding this all so fascinating coz as many of you know, I hate product on my twists so I go bare but I love the idea of having a "spritz" besides the ACV one I use--just as a plan B.

So did you just use it and nothing else and your hair stayed as soft as it looks all day? Do you have to spritz again to braid or put your hair to bed or does it just have a "conditioned" feel that means you can just part it and braid without static noise like you're about to start a fire due to being dry?

Your hair looks very moisturized. Is that how it feels too? How often do you have to spritz?

Thanks @yodie for this thread.

Hey Nonie thank you :) when I used to nettle rinse 2 years ago it did give my hair that "conditioned" feeling and made it very soft to the touch.

I stopped nettle rinsing just out of pure laziness (brewing then having to wait for the tea to cool) and since I was and still am a multiple co-washer throughout the week I just said "forget it".

I believe at the time I did not have to put anything else on my hair except for the ends and it does stay soft throughout the whole day. By the next day however, I would usually have to apply a light oil just to keep down the fly-a-ways and reseal the ends to keep them lubricated.

I would totally suggest at least trying it one day whenever you get the chance because you will love how great it makes your hair feel. I am thinking about revisiting it again since I do want to try limiting my co-washes for the winter time.

Nonie when you say spritz do you mean putting acv in a bottle and spritzing your hair after washing as a leave-in or to rinse your hair with it and then condition your hair? If so, I just pour a cup of the tea over my head; ive never tried actually spritzing it.

I will say that compared to acv; acv always made my hair crunchy no matter how much I diluted it, with nettle tea ive never had that crunchy feeling.

Nonie

Thank you Mane_Attraxion for your explicit answer. I am excited to try this someday! It sounds like something I'd love.

As for spritzing, I do have a mixture of ACV, essential oils of lavender and of rosemary in distilled water in a spray bottle that I use when I'm too lazy or short of time to fill a basin with water add those ingredients and dunk my head. I simply towel dry my hair after rinsing out conditioner then spritz my twists with that solution in the bottle.

The actual recipe for the ACV rinse spritz is:

Essential Oil Vinegar Rinse

2 tablespoons (8 teaspoons/40 ml) apple cider vinegar
20 drops lavender oil
20 drops rosemary oil
10 drops geranium oil (or lemon oil if hair is oily)
Rain or distilled water
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin

Mix essential oils and vinegar together in a 300ml spray bottle. Fill up with purified or rain water. Shake well before use.

To use: Rinse the hair after shampooing then spray thoroughly with the vinegar rinse.
Don't rinse out.

But I haven't added glycerin in forever just coz I am so used to dunking with it so I keep the spritz the same.

I use that spritz too if not washing my hair but if I want to style my twists differently. My twists are more "obedient" when wet so I dampen them to change my style or to get them to hand and drip dry if planning to wear them down.

If I were to make nettle tea, I think I'd want to use it more as a spritz...probably end my usual wash with ACV and then in between washes, spritz with nettle tea. :scratchch