Question for the naturals

Jalehia

I finally decided to go natural, because I don't want any chemicals put on my head any longer, because my hair just can't take it. My hair stylists told me that I will never have to cut off my permed ends and all I have to do is just press my new growth. I thought that eventually you would have to cut off your permed ends, because if I want to wear an all natural style I can't because I'll still have the straight permed ends. She still insists that I don't have to cut my ends off though. Am I right or is she right? Thanks

CICI24

HI Jalehia!
Yeah you are going to need to cut those relaxed ends off eventually. You can do it now or transition for a while until you get the lentgh you want and then chop. How long is your natural hair? I wouldn't recommend pressing your hair too much while you are growing it out especially for the first year. Do you plan on wearing your hair mostly straight or natural?

Jalehia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
CICI24 said:
HI Jalehia!
Yeah you are going to need to cut those relaxed ends off eventually. You can do it now or transition for a while until you get the lentgh you want and then chop. How long is your natural hair? I wouldn't recommend pressing your hair too much while you are growing it out especially for the first year. Do you plan on wearing your hair mostly straight or natural?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I got a perm this time, because I had to talk it over with my mother one last time. She told me to wait until I get about one inch of new growth and then she was going to start pressing it. I plan on wearing my hair straight most of the times and on some occasions wearing it natural. I think the reason she doesn't want to cut off my ends is because my hair is down my back and she loves long hair. I was planning on cutting off my permed ends when my natural hair reached chin length. How long do you think that will take?

Momstar

I agree, you do need to cut the permed ends off if you want to wear an all natural style,or you could let them break off but I wouldn't suggest that. Most people wear braids until their natural hair has some length and then they cut off the permed ends. I just cut it all off at one time so I wouldn't be tempted to go back and get a perm. I only press my hair every once in a while to see how much it's grown.Your hairdresser may not want to see you go, because when you go natural you probably won't see her that much.

sweetcocoa

I transitioned and yes I wore my hair natural a few times before I cut off the relaxed ends. I had to use a texturizer though(curl enhancer)and alot of it. It didn't curl alot but enough to blend a little. Also strawsets will help as with twists to get a natural look.
<font color="red">But once I cut off the relaxed ends my curls were much thicker and prettier looking. </font>

Integrity

i heard some ladies here say the jilbere flat iron could also straighten and soften your new growth for you as your transition.

canuck

i dunno. on the nappturality site, there have been horror stories about people transitioning via the press and curl, and the heat damaged their hair something fierce.

I would advise you to keep your hair moist at all times. But yes, you will have to cut off the relaxed ends anyways.

ngaa

it depends what kinda care u'll be givin yo hair, coz if u are gonna be wearin yo hair straight a lot then the relaxed bit may break off coz of the heat BUT if u'll take special care of yo hair and make sure not to apply a lot of heat to the relaxed bits then i gess there aint no point cuttin yo hair

ngaa