QTRLY Bible Study:

Christ, Our Sacrifice

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week’s Study: Isa. 53:2-12, Heb.2:9, Heb. 9:26-28, Heb. 9:12, Exod. 12:5, Heb.4:15.

Memory Text: “He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed” (1 Peter 2:24, NASB).

Catholic Priest Maximilian Kolbe was imprisoned in Auschwitz for providing shelter to refugees from Greater Poland, including 2,000 Jews. When a prisoner in his barracks vanished (perhaps he escaped), the SS picked 10 prisoners to be starved to death in reprisal. One of the selected men cried out, “Oh, my poor wife, my poor children. I shall never see them again.” At that point Kolbe offered himself in the man’s place; that is, he asked that he be the one to starve, not the distraught family man. The surprised SS officer agreed, and Kolbe joined the ranks of the doomed while the other man survived (at least for the time being).

However moving, Kolbe’s sacrifice is only a shadow of the One who willingly took our place, an act symbolized in the sanctuary service. The New Testament identifies Jesus with the two major aspects of the Old Testament sacrificial system: He is our sacrifice (Hebrews 9-10), and He is our High Priest (Hebrews 5-10).

This week we will study different aspects of Christ’s ultimate sacrifice and see what His once-and-for-all death has provided for us.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, November 16.

Jesus in Isaiah 53

Read Isaiah 53:2-12. What do these verses teach about what Christ did for us?

Isaiah 52:13-53:12 is a powerful description of Christ’s death for the sins of the world. Several aspects in this passage provide clear evidence that Jesus’ death is atonement in the form of penal substitution, which means that He took the penalty that others deserved and, in fact, died as a Substitute for them. Here are some of the implications of this passage for Jesus’ ministry for us:

1. Jesus suffered for others. He took their grief and sorrows (vs. 4), transgressions, iniquities (vss.5, 6, 8, 11), and sin (vs. 12).

2. He brings great benefits to those for whom He suffers: peace and healing (vs. 5) and justification (vs. 11).

3. It was God’s will for Jesus to suffer and be crushed (vs. 10). God put our iniquity on Him (vs. 6) because it was God’s plan that He died in our stead.

4. Jesus is righteous (vs. 11), without violence or deceit (vs. 9).

5. He was a guilt offering, an atoning sacrifice for sin (vs. 10).

Read Luke 22:37, Acts 8:32-35, and 1 Peter 2:21-25. How did these New Testament authors interpret Isaiah 53?

The New Testament allusions to Isaiah 53 establish beyond doubt that Jesus Christ fulfills this prophecy. Even He identified Himself with the person depicted there (Luke 22:37). Christ took our sins upon Himself so that we could be forgiven and transformed.

Dwell on all that Isaiah 53 says that Christ did for us. How can you make this personal, for yourself, knowing that no matter what you have done, the assurances here can apply to you if you give yourself to the Lord in faith and surrender?

Monday November 11

Sufficient Substitution

Read Hebrews 2:9. What does it mean that Jesus “taste[d] death for everyone?” See also Heb. 2:17, 9:26-28, 10:12.

Jesus died for sinners. He was without sin (Heb. 4:15) so that when He gave His life as a sacrifice He would not die for His own sin. On the contrary, He was “to bear the sins of many” (Heb. 9:28, NKJV), to “make propitiation for the sins of the people” (Heb. 2:17, NKJV), and to put away sin forever (Heb. 9:26).

According to Hebrews 2:9, the purpose of making Jesus “lower than the angels” is so that He could suffer death. The point is to explain why Jesus’ death is an indispensable requirement for His exaltation. In simple terms, in order for humanity to be saved, Jesus had to die. There was no other way.

In this passage, the goal of the Incarnation is the death of the Son. Only through the suffering of death could Jesus become the author of salvation (Heb. 2:10).

Why was it fitting for God to let Jesus suffer? The context in Hebrews 2:14-18 suggests that Jesus’ death was necessary in order to rescue God’s children from the slavery of death, from the devil, from the fear of death, and to qualify Jesus to become a “merciful and faithful High Priest” (NKJV).

In short, the cross had to precede the crown.

“Upon Christ as our substitute and surety was laid the iniquity of us all. He was counted a transgressor, that He might redeem us from the condemnation of the law. The guilt of every descendant of Adam was pressing upon His heart. The wrath of God against sin, the terrible manifestation of His displeasure because of iniquity, filled the soul of His Son with consternation.”—Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 753.

Christ, the Creator of the universe, died as a human being for your sins. Dwell on what this means. Think of the incredible good news that it is. Think of the hope it offers you, personally. How can you make this amazing truth the chief motivation of all that you do?

Tuesday November 12

Christ’s Blood

The concept of redemptive blood pervades the entire Bible. Starting from the earliest sacrifices after Adam and Eve sinned, blood was always present when animal sacrifices occurred. Blood rituals characterized the Israelite sacrificial system in order to illustrate the crucial truth that, without blood, we would not have any chance to be forgiven our sins and to enter into the presence of God. Blood was the only way to receive God’s mercy and to have community with Him.

Read the following passages in Hebrews about Christ’s blood and the blood of the Old Testament sacrifices. What do they teach us about the blood?

Heb. 9:12

Heb. 9:14

Heb. 9:18

Heb. 9:22

Heb. 10:19

Heb. 12:24

Heb. 13:12

Heb. 13:20

Christ’s blood does not refer to His life but is a symbol of His substitutionary death, and as such it describes the functional aspect of that death. Christ’s shed blood is amazingly multifunctional. Christ’s blood obtains eternal Redemption, provides cleansing from sin, provides forgiveness, sanctification, and is the reason for the resurrection.

In Hebrews there is a powerful contrast: Christ’s blood is better than any other blood. In fact, no other blood can really provide forgiveness; Christ’s death is the only reason why sins are forgiven, before and after the Cross (Heb. 9:15). The shedding of Christ’s blood, and its effects, are clear evidence that Christ’s death was substitionary, which means that He took the penalty that we deserve.

How should an understanding of Christ’s death help to free us from any notion that our own works can save us?

Spotless Sacrifice

Which criteria does a sacrificial animal need to meet? Read Exod. 12:5, Lev. 3:1, 4:3.

The selection of a sacrificial animal required great care. A person could not just take any animal for an offering; the animal needed to fulfill several criteria, depending on the kind of offering.

However, there is one criterion that all offerings had to meet. They had to be “unblemished.” The Hebrew word (tamim) could also be rendered as “complete,” “unscathed,” “without fault,” or “perfect.” It expresses the idea that something meets the highest standard possible. Only the best was good enough.

Pertaining to people, the word is used to characterize their relationship with God as being “blameless” (Gen. 6:9, 17:1, NASB).

How do these texts describe Jesus? Heb.4:15; 7:26; 9:14; and 1 Pet. 1:18-19. Why was it crucial that Jesus be sinless?

Jesus, the “Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29, NKJV), fulfills perfectly the Old Testament criterion of a spotless sacrifice. His pure life established Jesus as a perfect sacrifice. This is the guarantee of our salvation, for only a sinless one could bear our sin for us, and it is His perfect righteousness that covers us, now and in the judgment. That righteousness is our hope of salvation.

Like its Hebrew equivalent, the Greek word for “without blemish” (amomos) is used not only to describe Jesus and His flawless sacrifice but also the character of His followers.

“By comparing their lives with Christ’s character, they will be able to discern where they have failed to meet the requirements of God’s holy law; and will seek to make themselves perfect in their sphere even as God is perfect in his sphere.”—Ellen G. White, The Paulson Letters, p. 374.

Through Christ’s death and His ministry, we are presented blameless before God (Jude 24). This is possible only because the Blameless One stands in our place.

Why can the concept of being “holy and blameless” cause uneasiness? How can the knowledge that Christ is our substitute help you to accept that you are “holy,” as well? How should our new status before God impact the way in which we live?

Thursday

additional studies on this great Study of Jesus sacrifice

1) Isaiah’s'prophecy'about'the'suffering'Messiah
a) Isaiah'53:2/12
b) What'aspects'of'this'prophecy'do'you'see'fulfilled'in'
the'life'and'death'of'Jesus?
c) Luke'22:37
d) Acts'8:32/35
e) What'insights'from'Isaiah’s'prophecy'help'you'to'see'
more'clearly'what'Jesus'accomplished'for'us?

2) Christ'died'for'our'sins
a) 1'Corinthians'15:3
b) Exodus'12:1/13
c) John'1:29;'John'13:1,'John'18:28;'John'19:14,31
d) 1'Corinthians'5:7/8
e) Hebrews'2:9,'14/18
f) Hebrews'9:26/28
g) Hebrews'10:12
h) Revelation'5:6,9,12
i) 1'Pet'2:24
j) Why'did'Jesus'die'for'our'sins?
i) Was'it'to'appease'an'angry'God'who'demanded'
that'someone’s'blood'be'shed?'John'3:16,'Col'
1:19/20,'Col'2:9
ii) Romans'3:23/26 – voluntarily'accepted'liability
k) How'are'you'affected'by'the'truth'that'Jesus'died'for'
your sins?

3) The'blood'of'Christ'was'shed'for'us
a) Hebrews'9:12,14,18,22
b) Hebrews'10:19
c) Hebrews'12:24
d) Hebrews'13:12,20
e) Matt'26:28
f) Revelation'12:11'What'do'we'mean'when'we'sing'
“There'is'power,'power,'wonder'working'power'in'
the'precious'blood'of'the'Lamb?

4) The'spotless'Sacrifice
a) Exodus'12:5
b) Leviticus'3:1
c) Hebrews'4:15
d) Hebrews'7:26
e) Hebrews'9:14
f) 1'Peter'1:18/19
g) Why'was'it'crucial'that'Jesus'be'sinless?'John'1:29
h) Read'Jude'24.''How'can'we'be'presented'blameless?

5) Do'not'neglect'such'a'great'salvation
a) Hebrews'6:4/6'(see'Hebrews'2:1)
b) Hebrews'10:26/31
c) Hebrews'3:6,14;'Hebrews'10:23;'Hebrews'12:2

I like this because during the communion rite, in the order of the mass, right before the host is consecrated, we recite "Lamb of G-d, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us 2x, Lamb of G-d, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace."

It's so broad and deep, how on earth could we ever fathom fully just what He accomplished! Amen, sister @blazingthru

Last edited:
A Great Danger

In the book of Hebrews, Paul not only focuses on the theological understanding of Christ’s sacrifice, he also explains some of its practical implications. At several places he shows what happens if someone ignores this sacrifice.

Read Hebrews 6:4-6 and 10:26-31. About what is Paul warning us? What kinds of attitudes does he describe?

In the book of Hebrews, Paul demonstrates how magnificent God’s salvation is, how God has revealed Himself, and what He has done and is doing for the believers. However, there is at least one main problematic issue that Paul had to address. It is the danger that Christ’s sacrifice could gradually be taken for granted. He describes such a danger as “drifting away” from the goal (Heb. 2:1). The imagery behind Paul’s words is that of a ship that is veering off course and does not reach the port of destination. The main task is to stay on course.

Some of those who reject God do so deliberately, which means that their life after receiving the gospel is virtually the same as it was before they received it. Those people do not, in fact, have any efficacious sacrifice for their sins (Heb. 10:26-31). However, it seems that not many believers would forthrightly reject Christ’s sacrifice or even think about such a thing. Still, Paul sounds a warning. The real danger of disregard and neglect is that it is often a subtle and very gradual process. The transition can be unnoticeable. Slowly the work of Christ is not appreciated enough, similar to Esau’s failure to appreciate his birthright anymore (Heb. 12:15-17). Christ’s sacrifice should never become so familiar that we regard it as commonplace.

Paul does not want to make his readers fearful; nevertheless, he needs to show them the consequences of veering away from God. He does not want such as thing to happen. On the positive side, he encourages them vividly to “hold fast” all the good things of salvation (Heb. 3:6, 14; 10:23) and to fix their eyes on Jesus (Heb. 12:2).

What about yourself? Have you simply become “used to” the amazing truth about the Cross? Why is this such a terrible thing to do? How can we protect ourselves from the danger that Paul warns about here?

Friday November 15

Further Study: “The Atonement, Part I—Atoning Sacrifice,” pp. 661-680, in Appendix C of The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 7A.

What Martin Luther frequently called a “wonderful exchange” or “joyous exchange” of Christ’s righteousness for human sin, Ellen G. White describes in a classic statement as follows: “Christ was treated as we deserve, that we might be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. ‘With His stripes we are healed.’”—The Desire of Ages, p. 25.

“Nothing less than the death of Christ could make His love efficacious for us. It is only because of His death that we can look with joy to His second coming. His sacrifice is the center of our hope. Upon this we must fix our faith.”—Ellen G. White, The Desire of Ages, p. 660.

Discussion Questions:

Some don’t like the idea of Jesus as our sacrifice. They think it makes God sound bloodthirsty or vengeful, like the pagan deities of the past. (In fact, some argue that the language of blood and sacrifice and so forth in the Bible is simply a reflection of these pagan concepts.) What is so dramatically wrong with this perception of the Cross? How do the concepts of death, sacrifice, and blood help to show us just how serious sin and its consequences are? How should this realization of the cost of sin help us to seek God’s power to put sin out of our lives?
Some people struggle with the issue of works and how they relate to salvation. How can keeping before us Christ’s substitutionary death, and what He accomplished for us by that death, help to protect us from falling into the trap of salvation by works? After all, what could our works possibly add to what Christ has done for us by dying in our stead?
Ellen G. White said it would be good to spend a thoughtful hour every day focusing on the life of Jesus, especially the closing scenes. How could such an exercise help to strengthen our relationship with Christ, as well as increase our appreciation of what He has done for us?
Got another 7 minutes? Check out Martin Pröbstle's comments on the main theme of this lesson in a video accessible on vimeo (downloadable as MP4 file) or on Youtube (which displays better on mobile devices).

Inside Story~ SID Division: Zambia

God of the Impossible

When my parents died, my grandmother took me in. Her priest hoped I would follow in his footsteps, so he paid my school fees. One day he gave me a sermon and told me to preach it the following Sunday. I didn’t understand it, and the priest wasn’t there to explain it. So I asked an Adventist neighbor to explain it to me. He read the sermon and said the sermon wasn’t biblical. Then he read several Bible texts that explained what the Bible actually said.

I skipped church that Sunday. Angry, the priest threatened to stop paying my school fees. I told the Adventist man, and he read me two powerful Bible texts. “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Mark 8:36, NKJV), and “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33, NKJV). He invited me to visit his church. On Sabbath I found a few Adventists worshipping under a tree. But I sensed that God was there.

The priest stopped paying my school fees, and I had to quit school. My neighbors taunted me for rebelling. But the Adventist district pastor found a sponsor so I could study. In time I was baptized into the Adventist Church.

When my sponsor died, I had no means to continue studying. I prepared to go home, but the school’s accountant stopped me and said my fees were paid for two more terms. I praised God and continued my studies. I worked to pay my remaining fees until I graduated.

I wanted to study at Zambia Adventist University, but with no sponsor, I couldn’t enroll. I prayed fervently for God’s help. I was offered a job on campus that would pay my tuition. I stayed with four other students in an unused chicken house until the school helped us find something better. We didn’t mind, for we are studying!

I’m studying to serve God as a pastor. That’s not exactly what the priest had in mind when he sent me to school, but I know it’s God’s will. I love to tell others this wonderful truth that I have learned. People in my village have seen that my God is the God of the impossible. Four members of my family have surrendered their lives to God and joined the Adventist Church.

Your mission offerings have helped build Zambia Adventist University to train leaders for service to God and humanity.

Kisco Mweemba shares his faith in Zambia.

Christ, Our Priest

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week’s Study: Ps. 110:1–5; Gen. 14:18–20; Heb. 7:1–3; Rom. 8:31–34; 1 Tim. 2:4–6; Heb. 8:6; Heb. 2:17-18; Heb. 3:6; Heb. 10:1–14.

Memory Text: “Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man” (Hebrews 8:1, 2, NASB).

After His resurrection and ascension to the heavenly sanctuary, Christ entered into a new phase of the plan of Redemption (Heb. 2:17). With the indispensable requirement of His sacrifice fulfilled, He was inaugurated as priest and began His priestly ministry in order now to mediate His perfect sacrifice in behalf of those covered, by faith, by His blood. His priestly ministry consists of two phases, both foreshadowed in the earthly sanctuary: the daily ministry and the yearly ministry during the Day of Atonement.

This week we will study the work of Jesus during His daily ministry and see some of the practical ramifications that His work has for us. We can, indeed, draw great comfort from knowing that Jesus is now standing in the presence of God, ministering the merits of His sacrifice in our behalf. The sanctuary message offers hope and encouragement to even the weakest of His followers.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, November 23.

Lesson 8: Christ, Our Priest

Introduction: Two weeks, ago we discussed that everything has changed. Instead of having a physical temple on earth where God lives and humans approach God only through a priest, our bodies are now temples

( 1 Corinthians 6:19-20) and God's Spirit lives in us (Romans 8:9). If everything has changed, then why does Hebrews extensively discuss Jesus' current work as our High Priest? Let's dive into our study of the Bible to find out what we can learn about what God is doing!

The Order of Melchizedek

Read Hebrews 7:1. What do we immediately notice is different about Melchizedek?

(He is both a king and a priest. In Israel, the king and priest were separate.)

Read Hebrews 7:2-3. To whom is Melchizedek compared?

(Jesus, the Son of God.)

How is Melchizedek like Jesus?

Read Hebrews 7:4-8. We can see that the writer of Hebrews is constructing an argument. What do you think the writer is arguing?

(He is asking the Jewish people familiar with the sanctuary system on earth to consider that something greater exists, something that pre-dated the sanctuary on earth.)

Read Hebrews 7:11. Why is the Melchizedek system better than the Levitical system?

(Perfection! Perfection could not be attained through the human priesthood.)

Perfection for who?

(Us! Praise God.)

Let's contemplate this a bit. Did we change?

(No.)

What changed?

(The system. That means that perfection does not depend on us.)

Read Hebrews 7:12. What has changed along with the priesthood?

(The law.)

Read Hebrews 7:13-17. What aspects of the law changed?

(Hebrews says the rules about the priesthood changed. Melchizedek and Jesus are not priests because of regulations about ancestry, but because of "the power of an indestructible life."

Read Hebrews 7:18-19. How does this say the law changed?

(Recall that we decided a few minutes ago that the pursuit of perfection is the difference between the new and old priesthood. Hebrews tells us that the law is "weak and useless" for making us perfect.)

These are powerful words. What do they mean as a practical matter for our daily living?

(They mean that we will never become prefect by trying to obey the law. Such an effort is useless because it is too weak to accomplish the goal. "Part-perfect" is an obvious problem.)

Read Hebrews 7:23-26. How does Jesus meet our need for perfection?

(He is "holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners" and "He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him.")

How then, do you become perfect? How do I become perfect?

(Through Jesus.)

Let's step back a moment. We started out saying that everything is new. We are temples, and God's Spirit lives in us. Is what Jesus is doing also new?

(Yes! This tells us that Jesus' priesthood is new and improved, but it is not without precedent. The precedent is the Melchizedek priesthood.)

If precedent is important, how can you fit precedent into what is happening today?

(The precedent is that the forgiveness of sin was never through human effort. It was through the death of an animal. The precedent is that the sin transfer process was handled by the priests. Now, Jesus died on our behalf (we died with Him), and He is the one who now deals with the sin transfer process. The precedent is that God meets with humans in a special place. Now, God meets with us - but He wants our temple to be a special place.)

Last edited:
Intercession

Read Hebrews 8:1-2. Have you every heard someone say, "Now here is the point?" The writer of Hebrews is saying, "Now here is the point!" What do you understand is the point?

(We have this fabulous, wonderfully superior priest who is serving right now in heaven on our behalf!)

Read Hebrews 9:24-26. In what way is Jesus our fabulous, wonderfully superior priest?

(He is in heaven, not earth, He sacrificed once, not many times. He did away with sin and appears on our behalf before God!)

Read Romans 8:32-34. We noted in our discussion two weeks ago that the Most Holy place in the sanctuary was a "danger zone." People died if they entered the presence of God at the wrong time in the wrong way. What do these verses in Romans suggest about God's attitude toward us?

(He loves us so much that He gave us Jesus. God will graciously give us "all things.")

Who brings charges against us?

(This suggests that no one is sufficient to bring charges.)

Read Revelation 12:10-11. Who is the accuser?

(Satan. He is defeated by the blood of the Lamb and the testimony of believers.)

Do you feel guilty about past sins? Sins you have confessed?

If the answer is, "yes," what do these texts suggest about this?

*(That it is the work of the evil one to accuse you. No one is sufficient to accuse you when Jesus is interceding on your behalf.)

Read Romans 8:26-27. Wait! Do we have a second intercessor?

(Yes! The Holy Spirit also intercedes for us! This makes perfect sense in light of the doctrine of the Trinity. All three Members of the Godhead are pulling for us!)

What, exactly, is the Holy Spirit doing for us that is different than what Jesus is doing for us?

(The Holy Spirit "helps us in our weakness.")

What weakness is this?

(Jesus takes away our sins, but the entire sanctuary system shows that sin is the enemy. Thus, we need to determine to live a life in accord with the law. Our attitude and our acts are our weakness, and the Holy Spirt helps us with these. Again, our actions never save us, only Jesus' work on our behalf. But, what saved person wants to be an agent of Satan?)

Romans 8:26 contains some strange language: "the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." What kind of intercession is this?

(A close relative of mine may have a serious medical problem. Have you had so desperate a prayer need that you do not know how to put things into words - words that will describe how much you need God's help? That is another kind of human weakness. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us to express the deepest emotions - so deep we really cannot adequately put them into words.)

Romans 8:27 brings to mind another aspect of intercession. Have you ever faced a need and were uncertain about God's will in the matter? How can you know God's will?

(The Holy Spirit "intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.")

Re-read Romans 8:34 and read Romans 8:35-37. We have two main problems in life. We are sinners, deserving death, and we live in a sinful world. Jesus cured the death problem and He continues to intercede on our behalf in heaven. How do we deal with the living in a sinful world problem?

(This is the intercession of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit helps us, guides us and directs us.)

What do these two intercessions show?

(God's great love! You can decide to leave God, but nothing external can take away Jesus' sacrifice for you and the Holy Spirit's daily help to you! Praise God!)

would you like Jesus and the Holy Spirit to intercede for you? Would you like them to remove the condemnation of the law, and give you comfort and guidance in day to day problems? If so, why not invite Jesus into your life right now? Why not confess your sins and accept His sacrifice and the power of His Spirit?

Last edited:
The Great High Priest

What do the following texts reveal about Christ’s ministry as High Priest? Heb. 2:17-8; 3:6; 4:14-15; 7:24–28; 8:1–3.

Jesus is the “great High Priest” (Heb. 4:14, NKJV). He is superior to all high priests and rulers of earth. The Bible assigns a number of qualities to Jesus as great High Priest:

Merciful and faithful. The two characteristics of merciful and faithful (Heb. 2:17) fit Christ’s role as mediator, for He bestows His gifts on us (“merciful”) and is loyal to His Father and to us (“faithful”).

With us. Jesus can sympathize with us (Heb. 2:18; 5:2, 7). Because He has lived as a human, we can trust that He is a compassionate and perfect Helper. Yet, He is not in the same situation as we are, because He is “without sin” (Heb. 4:15).

Over us. Jesus as High Priest is not in the community of believers, as Moses was; He is over us, like a son presides over the house of his father (Heb. 3:6). Christ enjoys full authority among the saints.

As we are. Jesus’ divine origin did not give Him any exclusive rights. He was tempted just as we are (Heb. 4:15). The selected temptations in the Judean desert show that He was tempted in the physical, mental, and spiritual dimension (Matt. 4:1–11).

For us. Christ appears in the heavenly sanctuary in the presence of God “for us” (Heb. 9:24), and He is making intercession for us (Heb. 7:25). Thank God that we have a divine Representative to appear in the judgment in our place.

Jesus is in heaven “for us.” What does that mean? How can you draw some assurance and security from this wonderful truth?

Further Study: Further Study: “The Atonement, Part II—High-Priestly Application of Atoning Sacrifice,” pp. 680–692, in Appendix C of The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 7A.

“Step away from Satan’s voice and from acting his will, and stand by the side of Jesus, possessing his attributes, the possessor of keen and tender sensibilities, who can make the cause of afflicted, suffering ones his own. The man who has had much forgiven will love much. Jesus is a compassionate intercessor, a merciful and faithful high priest. He, the Majesty of heaven–the King of glory—can look upon finite man, subject to the temptations of Satan, knowing that he has felt the power of Satan’s wiles.”—Ellen G. White, Christian Education, p. 160.

“The conscience can be freed from condemnation. Through faith in His blood, all may be made perfect in Christ Jesus. Thank God that we are not dealing with impossibilities. We may claim sanctification. We may enjoy the favor of God. We are not to be anxious about what Christ and God think of us, but about what God thinks of Christ, our Substitute.”—Ellen G. White, Selected Messages, book 2, pp. 32, 33.

Discussion Questions:

Read Hebrews 2:17. Why was it necessary for Jesus to become human and to suffer before He could become our High Priest?
Dwell on the final Ellen G. White quote listed above. Look especially at the line: “We are not to be anxious about what Christ and God think of us, but about what God thinks of Christ, our Substitute.” How does this help us to understand what comes before, when she talks about being “made perfect in Christ Jesus”?
Our High Priest, Jesus Christ, is the Surety of our salvation, and He administers the effects and benefits of His sacrifice and blood. With Him on our side, we have nothing to fear. How can we take these wonderful truths, so powerfully expressed in the book of Hebrews, and apply them to ourselves, especially at times of great temptation?
The book of Hebrews is very clear that Jesus’ once-and-for-all sacrifice was all that was needed for dealing with sin. What should that tell us about any religious practice that claims to repeat this practice as a necessity for the forgiveness of sins?
Inside Story~ SSD Division: Burma

On Jesus’ Side

Mee Mee comes from a poor family living in a small village in Myanmar (Burma). Her family had to sell their land to feed their children. Her parents couldn’t afford to send her to school, so she went to work in the rice paddies when she was 13.

When Mee Mee was 18, she learned that a Christian family in another town needed a house helper. Her parents let her go, but they warned her, “Don’t let these people make you become a Christian.” Her friend had told her that the Christian family was kind, but still she was afraid.

Mee Mee was surprised that her new employers treated her as part of the family. She refused their invitation to join them for worship, but she listened from the next room as the family sang songs and prayed. A few days later she shyly joined the family for worship. How can Christians be so evil that my parents don’t want me to worship with them? she wondered.

On Friday Mee Mee and her host mother worked hard to clean the house and prepare food for Saturday, which she called “Sabbath.” Mee Mee declined the invitation to worship in the church that met upstairs the family’s home. Then her host father asked her to take Grandma up the stairs and help her during worship. Mee Mee felt awkward, but the worshippers were so kind that soon she became more comfortable.

When Mee Mee’s father called to check on her, she told him about how loving her host family was. He was glad, but he repeated his warning, “Remember, don’t become a Christian.”

Mee Mee continued joining the family for worship. Little by little God’s love seeped through the barriers of her heart. Her host mother gave her a Bible, and she took turns reading it during worship. Something in her heart stirred, and she felt drawn to Jesus.

Mee Mee knows that her parents will be angry when she tells them that she wants to become a Christian. But she’s convinced that Jesus is the true God. She feels torn between respect for her family and its traditions and God’s call.

“I know that I must stand on Jesus’ side,” Mee Mee says. “I’m praying for courage to stand true. Please pray for me.” Becoming a Christian in Myanmar isn’t easy. Please pray for those like Mee Mee who have discovered the truth and want to follow Christ. And remember that your mission offering helps make evangelism in this largely Buddhist country possible.

Have another 8 minutes? Check out Lesson author Martin Pröbstle comments at a video accessible on vimeo or on Youtube (better on mobile devices).

Have an hour? See a full-length class study by Pastor Derek Morris on Youtube. We're sure you'll enjoy it :)

Lesson 9 November 23–29

The Pre-Advent Judgment

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week’s Study: Daniel 7, Gen. 3:8–20, 2 Tim. 2:19, Ps. 51:4, 2 Cor. 5:10, Ps. 96:11–13.

Memory Text: “ ‘ “Then the sovereignty, the dominion, and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him” ’ ” (Daniel 7:27, NASB).

As the book of Hebrews so clearly shows, after His death and resurrection, Jesus began a new phase of work for us. He became our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary. The visions in Daniel 7 and 8 reveal that at some point in history this heavenly work of Christ in our behalf had entered a new phase, the judgment. This is sometimes called the “Eschatological Day of Atonement”: Eschatological, because it pertains to the End Time; Day of Atonement, because it is prefigured by the Day of Atonement service in the earthly sanctuary.

Daniel 7, our focus this week, contains a sequence of kingdoms, symbolized by four animals, that parallels the sequence in Daniel 2: Babylon, Media-Persia, Greece, and Rome.

As we study, we’ll see that the judgment is good news, because our Lord God works for His people. He judges in their behalf before the on looking universe and grants them entrance into Christ’s eternal kingdom, the culmination of all their hopes as followers of the Lord.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, November 30.

Last edited:
The Vision and the Judgment

“A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened” (Dan. 7:10).

Read Daniel 7:1–14. What is happening here?

After Daniel sees the four beasts, he observed another horn coming up among the horns of the fourth beast. This “little horn” became the main enemy of God and His saints. Then, suddenly, Daniel’s attention turned from the dark earth to a bright judgment scene in the heavenly throne room (Dan. 7:9–14).

The judgment scene is the pivot of the entire vision and involves two key figures, the Ancient of Days and the Son of Man. Angels also are there, witnesses to the judgment. The scene unfolds in three steps: first is the court scene (vss. 9, 10), then the outcome of the judgment on the beastly powers on earth (vss. 11, 12), and finally the transfer of dominion and kingdom to the Son of Man (vss. 13, 14). God the Father is portrayed as the majestic Ancient of Days, the wise and sage judge par excellence. “The Son of Man” represents humanity, Jesus Himself, in the heavenly court. Jesus used this title many times to refer to Himself, and at least twice He clearly evoked the images of Daniel 7 (Matt. 24:30, 26:64).

The Day of Atonement functions as the most natural typological setting for this heavenly temple scene. In fact, it is portrayed as if the heavenly High Priest comes, surrounded by clouds of incense, to the Ancient of Days. In Daniel 7:10, the “books were opened.” Books play a major role in the heavenly judgment. There are several books of heavenly origin known in the Bible: the “book of life” (Ps. 69:28, Phil. 4:3, Rev. 3:5, 13:8, 17:8, NASB), the “book of remembrance” (Mal. 3:16), the books of “deeds” (Rev. 20:12), and God’s “book” (Exod. 32:32-33; Ps. 56:8).

Imagine being judged by God (you will be). Imagine everything you have ever done being judged (it will be). If you have to stand on your record, your own deeds, your own good works, what hope do you have? What, then, is your only hope in judgment?

Lesson 9: The Pre-Advent Judgment

Introduction: Judgment! Who wants judgment? My general observation in life is that everyone wants other people to be judged, but they do not want it for themselves. Yes, the police should stop and give tickets to other people who speed. No, the police should not stop me and give me a ticket for speeding! The "problem" with God's judgment is that it is for everyone. If we finally come to terms with a personal judgment, what difference should that make in our life? When I'm arguing a case in court, I need to know what legal standard applies, I want to know about the judge, and I want to know about the process. Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and see what we can learn about God's judgment!

Judgment

Read Daniel 7:1. Daniel has a dream. What gives us some confidence that Daniel's report about his dream is accurate?

(First, Daniel tells us when this happened. He tells us the circumstances and he wrote it down afterwards. All of this is an indication of a reliable report.)

Scan Daniel 7:2-7 and read Daniel 7:15-18. What do these beasts represent?

(Daniel gives us the key to the interpretation of his dream. I consulted several older commentaries and they all agree that Daniel's dream is about a series of powerful nations that followed each other in history. Thus, the animals that arise represent the empires of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome.)

Why would God reveal something like this to Daniel (and to us)?

(To give us confidence in the future. To let us know that our God is in charge and He knows the future.)

Why would that message be especially important to Daniel?

(Recall that Babylon destroyed the temple in Jerusalem, and took Daniel and many others captive. God's people, God's nation, were in deep trouble. They might conclude that God was not in charge of world events.)

Read Daniel 7:23-24. What does this tell us about the Roman Empire and the ten horns?

(That ten kingdoms will come after Rome.)

Read Daniel 7:8-9. What time frame is indicated here?

(The discussion of the horns shows that we are looking at the nations that came out of the Roman Empire. We know from history that the union of territories that rose to power after Rome was known as the "Holy Roman Empire." Historians would place the dates of the Holy Roman Empire from 926-1806 A.D. Thus, the reference to the "Ancient of Days" taking His seat seems to follow 1806 A.D.)

Let's consider this in more detail. Read Daniel 7:9-10. What is happening here?

(This is a courtroom setting. The reference to "books" being opened indicates that the court is in session and some sort of judgment is being made.)

Read Revelation 20:11-15. What is being described here?

(This seems very much like what is being described in Daniel 7.)

What is the standard for the judgment of these people?

("What they had done.")

We have another time marker here. When do you think this judgment takes place?

(It must be the end of the world. "Death" is thrown into the fire. 1 Corinthians 15:26 tells us that the "last enemy to be destroyed is death." This is at the end of time.)

Read Daniel 7:8 and Daniel 7:20-22 and Daniel 7:24-27. What is the relationship between God's people and the last horn?

(There is war between the horn and the saints. The horn wins for a while, but God pronounces judgment in favor of the saints and they win.)

What is the reasonable conclusion to be drawn from all of these texts talking about God's court and judgment?

(That some sort of judgment is taking place in heaven. It began sometime after 1806 and continues until the end of the world at which time the saints prevail.)

What do you think God wants us to learn from this dream?

(Just as revealing the future gave confidence to Daniel, so Christians are told that we have an ongoing war on earth that will be ended when God finishes His final judgment. By God's power we will win!)

What about the general timing of this? What is important about that?

(To some it might seem that God is doing nothing. We are two thousand years after the resurrection. Where is God? Why has He not returned yet? These texts show us that God has a plan, that the final judgment began around 1806 (other texts could refine that date) and will continue until the end of time - when the saints possess the kingdom. We are living in the last days.)

Last edited:
Intercessor

Read Daniel 7:13-14. What figure enters this scene?

(This is Jesus!)

Read Hebrews 8:1-2. What have we learned in the prior lessons about what Jesus is doing in heaven?

(He is our High Priest, ministering on our behalf.)

What relationship do you see between Jesus' ministry in heaven and the judgment prophesied by Daniel? (The purpose of the sanctuary system was to transfer sin to the animal sacrifice so that the believer would not die. The final judgment is about who lives and who dies. What Jesus is doing in Hebrews is part of this final judgment of Daniel 7.)

Read Hebrews 9:11-15. What is the basis for the judgment of the saints?

(Jesus died to free us from our sins! He ransomed us from sin.)

Read Hebrews 9:24-28. What is Jesus doing in heaven during this time of judgment?

(He is taking away our sins and bringing salvation to the righteous.)

Re-read Revelation 20:12-14. We looked at this before. What is the basis for the judgment here?

(According to what they had done.)

Read Hebrews 10:12-14. What is the standard for the judgment of "those who are being made holy?" (Jesus' sacrifice makes us perfect.)

How do you explain these two standards?:yep:

(Those who are lost are judged by their works. Those who claim Jesus' sacrifice on their behalf are judged to be perfect forever!)

I recently read "the anticipation of the judgment encourages [people] to live a life of loyalty and accountability." Do you agree?

In light of what we have studied, do the righteous need to fear the judgment? Will the fear of judgment encourage them to live a proper life?

Or, will the sacrifice Jesus made on their behalf because He loves them encourage them to live a proper life?

Will the fact that Jesus died to preserve the rule of law, rather than just changing the law, encourage the righteous to live a proper life?

(I disagree with the quote. Christians should not be motivated to right behavior by a fear of judgment. They should be motivated to right behavior because they love God. They should be motivated to right behavior because they understand the war between good and evil, and they want to stand on the side of good and God's law!)

Last edited:
God's Law and the Judgment

In the last few lessons I've been talking about the "Rule of Law." On the surface, emphasizing God's concern about the rule of law when we are discussing judgment seems contrary to the idea of righteousness by faith. Let's see if the two can be reconciled. Read Galatians 2:15-21. What is the standard for the judgment for those who accept Jesus?

(When Jesus died we "died to the law." "The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God." The standard is not the law, but rather whether we place our faith in Jesus.)

Read Galatians 3:10. If the law is so bad that we are cursed if we rely on it, how can the rule of law be a good thing?

(The problem is not with the law, it is with us.)

Read Galatians 3:11-14, Galatians 3:21-22 and Galatians 3:26-28. The law is good and we are bad. If we rely on keeping the law we are in big trouble, for we are under the curse that comes to law breakers. As you consider your name coming up in the final judgment, how do you think you will do?

****(If you have clothed yourself with Christ, if you have confessed your sins and asked Jesus to cover your sins with His blood, then in the final judgment God looks at what Jesus has done instead of what you have done. On the other hand, if you have not accepted Jesus, then you are judged based on what you have done.)

Friend, do you want to stand alone in the final judgment, responsible for your sins? Or, do you want Jesus to take your place? The judgment is going on right now. Jesus is standing there in the heavenly court ready to act on your behalf. You need to decide today!

* Copr. 2013, Bruce N. Cameron, J.D. All scripture references are to the New International Version (NIV), copr. 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society, unless otherwise noted. Quotations from the NIV are used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers. Suggested answers are found within parentheses. The lesson assumes the teacher uses a blackboard or some other visual aid.

Last edited:
Lesson 10: The Eschatological Day of Atonement *

Introduction: If you are scratching your head about the word "Eschatological," it means "last day events."

The Day of Atonement, as we have studied, refers to the day each year when all the sins transferred from God's people to the sanctuary were then transferred to a goat. The goat then headed out into the desert for its retirement years. The Day of Atonement represented a permanent address change for the sins the people committed during the year. So, you ask, "What could be so important about a permanent address change for sins in the last days?" "Last days" calls to mind the final judgment. Do you want your sins forwarded on or do you want to be like that goat? When Daniel prayed about the sin problem of God's people, God gave him a special message about His grand plan to deal with sin. Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and learn more!

Daniel's Concern

Read Daniel 9:1-3. What is on Daniel's mind? Daniel 9:1-3

Daniel’s Prayer for the People

9 In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the lineage of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the Lord through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolation's of Jerusalem.

3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.

(Bible prophecy revealed that the time had come for change. This change would allow Jerusalem to be rebuilt.)

Read Daniel 9:4-6. How does Daniel start his prayer?

(With praise! This is how every prayer should start. See Luke 11:1-2.)

What is the main subject of the prayer?

(Confession of sin. The people have a sin problem.)

Read Daniel 9:11-14 and Daniel 9:17-19. Why do you think Daniel specifically mentions the sanctuary?

(Consider this from Daniel's point of view. His people have sinned. God has executed judgment on them through captivity and the destruction of Jerusalem and the sanctuary. The sanctuary is the means for transferring sin and it is out of business. Daniel and the people are loaded with sin!)

Let's consider the issue of judgment. What kind of judgment concerns Daniel?

(Daniel's situation reflects our lives. Disobeying God's law brings its own practical judgment here and now. We often suffer because of our sins. But, the bigger issue is the judgment that comes from being unable to obtain forgiveness of sin. Being unable to transfer sin away from the people through the sanctuary system.)

Now that we know what consumed Daniel's thoughts, let's turn next to the visions given to him.

The Message

Read Daniel 8:1-4. What would you think if you were taking your morning walk and you saw this?

(I would be frightened, until I realized that it was a vision.)

Since this is a vision, what message do you think God is giving Daniel?

(Last week we learned that Daniel saw some frightening looking animals which represented empires that would arise in the future. This seems like that.)

Read Daniel 8:15-20. What is the ram?

(Daniel is told by a heavenly messenger that it is the empire of Medo-Persia. This parallels the message we studied last week!)

Read Daniel 8:5-8 and Daniel 8:21-22. What does the goat represent?

(The power of the Greek empire. As in the prior vision, Daniel is being shown the future.)

Last edited:
Read Daniel 8:9-12. When we looked at the horns of Daniel 7, they represented authorities on earth. What kind of earthly authority can "reach the host of the heavens?" What kind of earthly authority can throw down some of the host of heaven?

Read Revelation 12:7-9. What does this suggest is this horn?

(Satan! Remember that this is symbolic. Whatever is the meaning of this horn, at a minimum it represents the work of Satan.)

Look again at Daniel 8:11-12. Think back to Daniel's prayer. Why did God decide to give Daniel repeated "history" lessons about the future?

(God is telling Daniel that God is in charge even during frightening events.)

When Daniel heard the reference to the sanctuary, what do you think came immediately to his mind?

(This is what Daniel had been praying about! God's temple, God's sanctuary on earth had been destroyed by the Babylonians. To contemplate this must have been depressing.)

Read Daniel 8:13-14. What hope is given to Daniel?

(The sanctuary, the system for dealing with sin, will be back in operation!)

Read Daniel 8:23-25. This gives another picture of this horn. What does it mean that he will become strong, but not by his own power?
What does it mean that he will be destroyed, but not by human power?

(Both references tell us that this is spiritual warfare. This is war between Satan and God.)

What relevance do you find in this?

(Like Daniel, our world may seem to be spinning out of control. Perhaps we feel that we are suffering judgment from past sins. The message to Daniel from God is "I've got this handled.")

Read Daniel 8:26-28. How did Daniel react to this message? Was he elated to learn that God was in control?

(No. He was sick. He did not understand. Part of the problem might have been that the vision seems to say that God will not be working this out until the end of time.)

The Victory

Let's re-read Daniel 9:1-3 now that we have more information. The vision given to Daniel has started to be fulfilled. Babylon has fallen, and Medo-Persia has risen to power. What does Daniel want?

(The same thing he has always wanted - that his nation and his sanctuary would be restored. He understands that the prophecy about the time of restoration is near at hand.)

Read Daniel 9:20-23. What does this teach us about our prayers and our God?

(He listens. He cares.)

How close is heaven?

*(Gabriel left when the prayer began.)

Why has Gabriel been sent?

(To give Daniel "insight and understanding.")

Understanding about what?

(The series of visions. Recall that in Daniel 8:14-15 Daniel has been told that the sanctuary will be restored in 2,300 "evenings and mornings." This is at the center of Daniel's concern.)

Read Daniel 9:24-25. What is the good news about Jerusalem and the sanctuary? (That it will be rebuilt!)

What other good news do we find?
(Sin will end! Wickedness will be atoned for! The most holy will be anointed. Everlasting righteousness will come!)

Does this sound like the sanctuary and the Day of Atonement?

(Yes. Recall that "most holy" refers to the part of the sanctuary entered on the Day of Atonement.)

Read Daniel 9:26-27. This sounds terrible, right? Jesus (the Anointed One) is cut off! I'm not going into the numbers or the calculations, but most Christians who have studied this in detail find that when they work through the numbers this prophecy predicts the date of the incarnation of Jesus, His crucifixion and the second destruction of the temple in Jerusalem.)

A smaller number of Christians continue the calculation and conclude that 1844 is the date for the beginning of the time that we have been studying: the final judgment, the ministry of Jesus in heaven on our behalf, the heavenly "Day of Atonement."
Last week, we put the start of this time to be around 1806, and that accords with the more specific 1844 date. What level of importance do you attach to this series of dates?

(Some attach great importance to these dates, especially the start date for Jesus' ministry on our behalf in the final judgment. I think these dates serve two purposes. First, they give us confidence that God is in charge and that we can trust Him. Second, they comfort us that the plan of salvation is not stalled, it is moving forward according to God's plan.)

Friend, are you like Daniel, concerned about the course life has taken? Are you concerned about the sin in your life and the lives of those around you? God has a plan and we are living in the plan's final phase. God is bringing an end to sin. Jesus is ministering on our behalf to cover our sins with His blood. Will you decide today to rest confident in His work on your behalf - in spite of whatever troubling things are going on in your life?

In Daniel 9:24–27, the beginning of the seventy weeks is marked by “the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem” (Dan. 9:25, NASB). The book of Ezra reports on three decrees that concern Jerusalem and the temple, but only the third, reported in Ezra 7:12–26, is the most effective one. The Persian King Artaxerxes I issued the decree in 457 B.C. It involves both the reconstruction of the temple and the rebuilding of Jerusalem as a political and administrative center (Ezra 7:25-26). In the Bible, only this decree is followed by thanksgiving that praises God for influencing the king (Ezra 7:27-28). Furthermore, only with 457 BC as a starting point do the seventy weeks (that is, 490 years) reach the time of Christ, the “Messiah, the Prince” of Daniel 9:25–27. Thus, the prophecy of the seventy weeks provides the precise event to date the beginning of the 2,300 evenings and mornings. They start in 457 B.C. and end after 2,300 years in A.D. 1844.

Our Prophetic Message

SABBATH AFTERNOON

Read for This Week’s Study: Revelation 10; Dan. 12:4–9; Revelation 14; Revelation 11:17-18; Revelation 13; Gen. 7:11; Gen. 11:1–9; Jeremiah 50-51.

Memory Text: “Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people—saying with a loud voice, ‘Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water’” (Revelation 14:6, 7, NKJV).

The judgment message of Daniel 7 and 8 links directly to The Great Controversy scenario depicted in Revelation 12-14. Here we find the three angels’ messages, which contain the themes of creation, judgment, and gospel (Rev. 14:6–12). These texts present God’s urgent and final call to prepare for the second coming of Jesus.

The message of the first angel is indeed the “everlasting gospel” because it’s the same truth that the apostles preached when they said that people “should turn from these useless things to the living God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all things that are in them” (Acts 14:15, NKJV; compare with Acts 4:24). Highlighting the importance of the message is the fact that the word gospel itself appears only here in the book of Revelation. whatever we preach about end–time events, we must make certain that the “gospel” is at the core.

Study this week’s lesson to prepare for Sabbath, December 14.

Sunday December 8

Time of Disappointment

Read Revelation 10. What is the message of the angel with the little scroll? What does it mean to “prophesy again”?

The portrayal of the angel recalls the description of Christ (Rev. 1:13–16) and of the divine-like “man in linen” in Daniel’s last vision (Dan. 10:5-6; 12:5–7), suggesting that they are identical. In Daniel 12:6-7, He swore by the One who lives forever as He gave the prophecy of three and a half times (1,260 years). This is a repeat of the crucial prophecy given in Daniel 7:25, describing that God’s people would face terrible persecution, another truth that is repeated in Daniel 12:7, as well.

The book of Daniel was supposed to be sealed until the end of time. Then it would be opened, and many would gain knowledge from it (Dan. 12:4–9). When the prophesied period of 1,260 years ended, the time had come to open the book for further knowledge. This is symbolized by the open book in the hand of the angel in Revelation 10. From then on, Daniel’s prophecies were to be better understood.

At the same time, Revelation 10 reveals that the experience would not all be pleasant. John ate the book as commanded, and it was sweet in his mouth but bitter to his stomach. John stands symbolically for the people who internalized the book of Daniel. This prophetic description, we believe, was fulfilled in the Millerite movement, which arose in the first half of the nineteenth century amid great worldwide interest in end-time events. It also describes the bitter disappointment of those who understood that the long-time prophecies in Daniel referred to their time, but not as they had first thought. The “2,300 evenings and mornings” did not signal the return of Christ but, rather, the beginning of the great judgment scene of Daniel 7.

Right after the bitter experience, John was told to “prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings” (Rev. 10:11, NASB). This is being fulfilled as Seventh-day Adventists preach the “everlasting gospel” to the world.

Disappointment isn’t alien to Christians, especially when they misinterpret the meaning of events. Certainly the experience of the disciples between their Master’s death and His resurrection was a disappointment. Such was the experience of the Millerites in 1844. How can we handle disappointments without losing our faith? What Bible promises can you hold onto during your own times of disappointment?

Monday December 9

Fear God!

The first angel’s message tells us to “fear God.” What does that mean? See Ps. 34:7–22.

Fear could be understood in two ways. First, there is a fear that shows itself in reverence and respect. This kind is what the first angel wants to bring to our attention. Those who fear God are true believers in Him (Rev. 11:18). To fear God means to honor Him (Rev. 14:7), praise Him (Rev. 19:5), obey Him (Rev. 14:12), and glorify His name (Rev. 15:4). The fear of God in the first angel’s message also acknowledges God as Judge and as Creator, and it calls us to worship Him as such.

Second, there is a fear in the sense of being afraid that sooner or later God will judge this world. To the unfaithful, the message of the judgment is a message of terror. That’s why we often call the three angels’ messages God’s last warning to the world. Inherent in the very notion of a “warning” is something to be feared, and if we read about that which the lost will face, they indeed do have something to fear.

However, as long as mercy is available, God always desires to move the lost to repentance, and the fear of God could be an incentive to start seeking Him (see Rev. 11:13). Though ultimately a saving relationship with God is one based on love, sometimes people need a good dose of fear to open their eyes. And if it takes a warning to get their attention, why not?

We know that “God is love,” and nothing reveals this love more than the Cross. We know, too, that God loves this world, and it must pain Him tremendously to see what sin has done to it. A God of love and justice isn’t going to sit by forever and let evil go unpunished. “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God” (Heb. 10:31, NKJV). How can we strike the right balance in understanding both God’s love for us and understanding His wrath against the evil that has done us all so much harm?

Introduction: Do you remember when you had some special news or a special story that others did not know? How exciting was it to share that special story with others? Our study this week is about a very special message that we have to share with others. The message has to do with worship, faith and the final judgment. Let's wade into our study of the Bible to learn more about this great news!

First Angel

Read Revelation 14:6. What is the audience for the message of this angel? (Everyone, everywhere.)

What do you believe is the "eternal gospel?"

(Our God became a human and lived with us. Our God, named Jesus, lived a perfect life, died for our sins, and was resurrected to return to heaven. We accept Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf through baptism. His life becomes our life, His death is our death and His resurrection is the promise of our resurrection to eternal life.)

Let's see if our view of the gospel is the same as the angel's message. Read Revelation 14:7. What significance do you find in the "loud voice?"

(This is supposed to be heard.)

Let's start with the view that "fear God" means exactly what it says because it introduces the idea that the time of judgment has come. How do you explain the "give Him glory" part of this message about judgment?

(This is the gospel - that we give God glory because He took our place in the judgment. When He died, we symbolically died. When He rose, we symbolically rose. Could you ever stop praising someone who died for you?)

How would you reconcile the "fear God" instruction with the "give Him glory" instruction? How do those work together?

(If you want to face judgment without Jesus interceding for you, then you should fear because you will die. The fantastic news is that we have a way to avoid eternal death.)

Notice the last sentence. We are told to worship the Creator. Why does this have anything to do with judgment or the gospel?

(My study of the Bible has taught me that God consistently pins His authority on the fact that He is our Creator. Only one with authority can judge. Only one with authority can modify the rule of law. God tells us that He has the authority to do all of this!)

Let's step back a minute and look at the action. This says a flying angel will give this message. I've never seen an angel in my neighborhood loudly shouting this message. What do you think this reference to an "angel" means?

(Adam Clarke's commentary suggests that this could refer to a special group of Christians whose goal is to promote this gospel message.)

Let's step back a second minute and consider the message. What is at the heart of the angel's message?

(To fear God and worship God.)

Fear is not something you can just grit your teeth and do. What, as a practical matter, are we being asked to do?

(I think we are asked to "obey." Whether fear means terror or giving respect, the result would be a change in our actions. Thus, obedience and worship are linked in this angel's message.)

Second Angel

Read Revelation 14:8 and Isaiah 21:8-9. What do you think is meant by Babylon?

(In the Old Testament, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon was the enemy of God's people. If you read 1 Peter 5:13, Peter seems to refer to the Roman empire as "Babylon." Why? Because it, too, was the enemy of God's people. Some of the older commentaries, such as Barnes' Notes and Matthew Henry, point to both pagan and Papal Rome as Babylon, no doubt because both were persecuting powers. My view is that the constant feature of Babylon is the power behind it - which is Satan. But, the human, institutional "front" for Satan changes with time.)

What do you currently see as the main, human institutional "front" for Satan? Let's look next at some more characteristics of Babylon before we make up our mind.

Look again at Revelation 14:8. What activity helps to identify Babylon?

(It makes nations "drink the maddening wine of her adulteries.")

What do you think is meant by "adulteries" in this context?

(Unfaithfulness to God.)

Why refer to this as "wine" which is "maddening"? Why refer to it as "drink?"

("Maddening" means to lose your proper sense of things. This power promotes views against God that causes us to lose our proper perspective on things.)

In your experience, what has had the most power to cause you to lose a right perspective on God? To make you want to be unfaithful to Him?

(All of the candidates for Babylon that we discussed likely have little or no influence in our life today. My vote for the most negative institutional influence in my life is entertainment media. Have you ever watched a movie or read a book where you find yourself wanting a murderer or adulterer to win? I feel like the "wine" of this unfaithfulness to God is being poured over me.)

What is wrong with my suggestion that pagan media is a current candidate for "Babylon?"

(Two things. First, Revelation 14:8 says it "made all nations drink." I voluntarily read and watch. Second, it seems odd to call pagan media, among all the Babylons, the "Great" one. We need to explore this further with the next angel.)

What is the good news of Revelation 14:8 about the work of Satan's institutional agents to make us unfaithful to God?

(They are fallen, defeated!)

Last edited:
Third Angel

Read Revelation 14:9. Let's stop right here. What is the focus of the controversy?

(Worship!)

Think back to the message of the first angel. What was it about?

(Worship!)

What should we conclude?

(The message of the three angels is about worship. Will you worship the Creator or will you worship Babylon.)

Does this help clarify what is meant by "Babylon the Great?"

(Yes. This is an institutional power whose focus is worship.)

Now let's add the rest of the sentence. Read Revelation 14:9-10. What kind of problem are Satan's agents, the "beast and his image," creating?

(The problem is worship and receiving "his mark.")

Context is very important here. Revelation 12:7-9 reveals that the "dragon" is Satan. If you read Revelation 13, you will see that the dragon gives power to at least a couple of beasts. Read Revelation 13:12-17. What is the greatest problem with this trinity of the dragon and the two beasts?

(Coercion when it comes to worship! Those who refuse to worship the first beast are killed. Everyone is forced to receive a beast mark on the right hand or the forehead.)

What is the beast mark?

(The fact that it is on the forehead (thinking) or the hand (doing) suggests that some will agree with beast worship and some will simply comply, even if they disagree.)

Let's go back to the message of the third angel in Revelation 14:9-10 and re-read it. What kind of problem do the saints face?

(The beast will kill them if they do not accept the mark, and God will kill them if they do.)

Does that seem unfair? [/B]

(No. God is simply warning us that at some time we will have to make a choice on who we will worship. You can make the wrong choice by agreeing with Satan, or just going along with Satan. Either one is fatal.)

Worship

Let's focus on the worship issue. What, again, is the basis for God's claim to worship? Revelation 14:7 says being our Creator. Read Exodus 20:8-11. What is God's special worship instruction which is keyed to Him being our Creator?
(The Sabbath!)

What does this suggest is the point on which worship of God or worship of Satan turns?

(The Sabbath - the weekly memorial to Creation.)

What else is important?

(Recall the entire judgment issue is about righteousness by faith. If your Sabbath worship is not motivated by a desire to praise God for saving you and defeating Satan, you have missed the point.)

Read Revelation 14:12. Wait a minute! Does this tell us that keeping the commandments is the standard for the judgment?

(No! But, it does say that those who place their faith in Jesus, those who worship Him, have holiness as their goal. The rule of law is God's standard.)

Friend, would you like to be on the right side of worship? Would you like to share this end-time warning? Commit right now to worship God every Sabbath and rely on His righteousness alone for your salvation!

Last edited:
Lesson 12
The Cosmic Conflict Over God's Character​
(Job1, Ezekiel 28, 1 John 4)

Introduction: We all know that God is good, right? In fact, in my old church we added the phrase "all the time, and all the time, God is good." So, what is there to study this week? You may know that God is good, but a lot
of people are uncertain, at best. The worst part of that problem is that you may be the basis on which they form their opinion about God. Let's explore what the Bible says about this issue and what we should do about it!

I. The Cosmic Problem
A. Read Job 1:1-3. What do we learn about Job's character?
Job 1:1-3
King James Version (KJV)
1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

2 And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

3 His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east

(He was "blameless and upright." He was a great guy.)

1. What do we learn about his finances?

(He was rich.)

2. What do we learn about his reputation?

(He was "the greatest.")

3. What do we learn about the size of his family?

(It was large!)2 And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

B. Read Job 1:4-5. What was Job's attitude toward the spiritual lives of his children?Job 1:4-5
King James Version (KJV)
4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

(He was actively involved. He would burn offerings for them and apparently confess their sins.)

1. Can parents confess sins for their children?

(Read 1 John 5:16-17. Job's practice and this
text have long interested me. I don't think I fully understand what is going on - but it appears that some sins are susceptible to forgiveness through the prayers of others.)
WOW:yep:
1 John 5:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

C. Read Job 1:6-7. Why is Satan part of this committee meeting
1. What does God's question mean? Is God in doubt about where Satan is living? Is God challenging Satan's presence?

D. Read Ezekiel 28:13-14. Where is this glorious being living?

(In heaven. "On the holy mount of God.")

E. Read Ezekiel 28:15-16. What happened to this glorious being?

(Because of wickedness, he was expelled from heaven.)

F. Read Ezekiel 28:17. What was the source of the wickedness of this being?
(Pride arising from beauty. It corrupted this person's thinking.)

G. Read Revelation 12:7-9. What does this suggest is the real identity of the glorious being?

(Satan.)

H. Let's re-read Job 1:6-7 and factor in what we have learned about his background from Ezekiel and Revelation. Why is Satan on earth?

(He was expelled from heaven to earth.)

1. Did God know this?
(Of course! There was a big battle between God and Satan.)

a. What, then, do you think God was really asking?

(I don't think God is asking anything. The meeting appears to be in heaven. God is insulting Satan by reminding him that he is no longer a resident of the most desirable place in heaven, but rather is an earthdweller.)

I. Re-read Satan's answer in the last part ofJob 1:7. Satan doesn't exactly answer. "Earth" would have been the appropriate answer. What does the nature of the way Satan answered suggest?
Job 1:7
King James Version (KJV)
7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

(Satan is boasting that even though he was banished to earth, He is now the ruler of the earth.)

J. Read Job 1:8. Does God want to know if Satan has met Job?

(No. God is challenging Satan's claim to be the ruler of the earth. God reminds Satan that the greatest man in the East is a follower
of God, not Satan. Indeed, Job respects God, but "shuns" Satan.)

Last edited:
Read Job 1:9-11. Satan could have answered, "I'm working on that problem."Why did he answer
as he did?

(Satan insults God. He says that Job is like a prostitute - he serves God for money, not because of affection for God or because of a love of doing what is right.)

1. Why did Satan say this? Is his goal simply to insult God, or do you think Satan believes this?

L. Read Genesis 3:1-5. How did Satan win his position on earth?

(He promised Eve something that he claimed God would not give her. He bribed her.)

M. Skim over Deuteronomy 28 and read Malachi 3:10-11. Are Satan's charges true?

(Mixed truth is Satan's method of operation. Yes, it is true that following God generally brings blessings. The question for Job and for each one of us is this: do you follow God because of His blessings?)

N. Read Job 1:12. Who is being tested here? Is this a challenge to God's character or is it a challenge to Job's character?

(It is at least a test ofJob. Is he like a prostitute? Or, does he serve God out of affection and loyalty to God's cause? On the other hand, God challenged Satan's authority over the earth by pointing out Job.)

1. Whose character is not at issue?

(Satan's! We know bad things are going to happen when
Job is in Satan's "hands.")

O. If you read the rest of the book ofJob

(or even the rest of the first chapter of the book), you will
see that terrible things happen to Job. If you were Job, what would you say if you knew the real reason why terrible things were happening in your life?

1. Is this a "chest bump" between God and Satan - and Job suffers?
2. Or, is this the most fundamental challenge to God's character?
3. Do you think this is a "one time" thing? Or, do you think that Job's situation keeps being replayed on earth?

a. Assume you answered, "Yes, I think it is being replayed countless times, and it may be happening in my life right now!" If the matter at issue is Job's character (as opposed to God's character), how is this consistent with grace? How is this consistent with righteousness by faith?

II. The Cosmic Answer

A. Read Matthew 20:17-19. What does this reveal about whether Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf was
voluntary?
(He predicted it. Jesus could have avoided going to Jerusalem.)

1. Look at verse 19 and consider the three things that Jesus said the Gentiles would do to Him.
How do you like it when people are laughing at you - not as the result of a joke, but because they think you are not worthy of respect?

a. How do you like it when people inflict serious physical pain on you, and they do it just because they can?

b. How would you like to be killed in a painful way?

B. Read 1 John 4:10. Why did Jesus voluntarily go through ridicule, torture and death?
(He loved us. He atoned for our sins.)

C. Read Romans 3:21-25. Does our righteousness depend on obeying the law?
No! This is a "righteousness from God, apart from the law.")
1. On what does our righteousness depend?
(We have all sinned, but Jesus died on our behalf.
This is reflected in the sanctuary service that we have been studying this quarter.)
2. What is required of us?
(Faith in His blood. This would be as opposed to faith in our own
good works.)
D. Read Romans 3:26. How is Jesus' death on our behalf justice? (Do you remember when we studied 2 Samuel 14:4-9? This story reflects the "rule of law." If a king declared that the law would
not be followed, then he was personally responsible for the breach. When Jesus, in love, decided to release us from the death penalty - what the law requires for sin - He took the penalty upon Himself. This is how Romans 3:26 can refer to what seems to be grossly unjust as "justice.")

III. Glory to God

A. Let's get back to Job. Remember we considered the two questions: "Whose character is at issue, God's or Job's? And, "If Job's character is at issue, how is this consistent with righteousness by faith?"Read Matt 5:16. How would a focus on Job answer the question about God's character?
(Our actions reflect on God. Whether Job was faithful reflected on God.)

B. Read 1 John 4:11-12. How could Job show that Satan's prostitute argument was false?
(Satan's followers follow him for what they think they will get. God's followers follow Him because of love.)

C. Do our actions matter? Does our observance of God's law matter?
(They do nothing to earn our salvation. But, they are central to reflecting God's glory. If we obey, if we show love to others, then we reveal the character of our Creator and Redeemer.)

D. Friend, will you today ask the Holy Spirit to help you give glory to God by your actions? By your love?

IV. Next week: Exhortations From the Sanctuary.
Materials copyright 2013, Bruce N. Cameron, J.D.
Website owned & operated by Blake Cameron, M.D.
Privacy Policy

Back