Protein: Weekly Reconstructor VS Monthy Protein Treats

LocksOfLuV

Which one do you think is most effective in keeping breakage away?

Using a light protein treatment aka reconstructor (for example, Keraphix or Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, Motions CPR) every week, followed by a moisturizing conditioner.

OR

Doing a heavy protein such as Emergencee, Essations Hair Mender, Elasta DPR (sp?), Duo Tex once a month.

OR

A combination of the two?

SexySin985

Great question.... but I have no answer:lol:

OT: But I read the "note" in you siggy with no problems. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was mispelled. Something must be wrong with me:look: :look: :look::lol:

LocksOfLuV

SexySin985 said:
Great question.... but I have no answer:lol:

OT: But I read the "note" in you siggy with no problems. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was mispelled. Something must be wrong with me:look: :look: :look::lol:

:lachen: I read somewhere that a human can actually process a typo'd word if the first and last letters in the word are correct. So made note of that while typing that.

Sosoothing

I have a hard time knowing when exactly my hair needs protein or just moisture. So I do an Aphogee treatment for damaged hair every 6-8weeks. In between protein treatments I just concentrate on moisture and forget about the protein.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
I believe both ways will help hair strands stay stong. I do the hardcore Aphogee every 6 weeks. My hair seems to thrive off weekly light (Aphogee 2 min) followed by my beloved Keracare.

Last edited:

Ayeshia

i do both...apgohee once every three months and then I use the reconstructor every 2 weeks (either the 2 minute, or ORS mayo or the replenishing pac). Ive only tried this method twice and it seemed to be really effective.

nomoweavesfome

My hair is fine with damaged ends so I do a little of both. I do emergency once a week which is the right amount of protein my hair needs and not once a month , but every 6-8 weeks I do aphogee, but I find when I do emergencee - my hair doesn't need the aphogee so I'm thinking about tossing it and stick with weekly emergencee. My hair loves this stuff. It keeps my fine hair strong especially with the baggying.

LocksOfLuV

Ayeshia said:
i do both...apgohee once every three months and then I use the reconstructor every 2 weeks (either the 2 minute, or ORS mayo or the replenishing pac). Ive only tried this method twice and it seemed to be really effective.

I was thinking about doing something along these lines. A good combination of them both.

LocksOfLuV

nomoweavesfome said:
My hair is fine with damaged ends so I do a little of both. I do emergency once a week which is the right amount of protein my hair needs and not once a month , but every 6-8 weeks I do aphogee, but I find when I do emergencee - my hair doesn't need the aphogee so I'm thinking about tossing it and stick with weekly emergencee. My hair loves this stuff. It keeps my fine hair strong especially with the baggying.

I used to love emergencee every 2 weeks. But it's too expensive for me.:( . I think I may suck it up and keep doing that every 2 weeks and aphogee every 3 mos.

I dunno. Just an option.

Ayeshia

LocksOfLuV said:
I used to love emergencee every 2 weeks. But it's too expensive for me.:( . I think I may suck it up and keep doing that every 2 weeks and aphogee every 3 mos.

I dunno. Just an option.
try it...I did do the reconstructor every week when I had color in my hair...but after that was cut out, I didnt see the point in doing it once a week. I figure of im not seeing breakage, I can cut the use down. If I see breakage, up the use again. I could probably get away with the reconstructors once a month seeing that I am natural though, but I'll continue with what Im doing.

LocksOfLuV

Ayeshia said:
try it...I did do the reconstructor every week when I had color in my hair...but after that was cut out, I didnt see the point in doing it once a week. I figure of im not seeing breakage, I can cut the use down. If I see breakage, up the use again. I could probably get away with the reconstructors once a month seeing that I am natural though, but I'll continue with what Im doing.

Imam sleep on it some more! :yep:

I can't decide between emergencee every 2 weeks or a reconstructor every 2 weeks.

nycutiepie

I've recently started to realize that my hair does best with regular light protein. I use Aveda for my midweek wash and I've been using Cathy Howse's UBH on the weekends after seeing what it did for Glamourgirl's hair. I haven't had to use Aphogee in months and I have zero breakage. I also always mix a lil JBCO with my conditioner. The PJ in me just bought Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor so I'm eventually gonna try it out just to see what happens.

*Michelle*

nomoweavesfome said:

:eek:

Emergencee once a week is a bit much...it is designed for just that...emergencies.

Please be careful you are not confusing strong with borderline brittle hair...they can have a similar feel. If I needed such heavy protein on a weekly basis, I would make a MAJOR change(s) to my routine quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I use a deep protein once a month and a light one every two weeks, I use deep moisture and a leave-in weekly regardless as to anything else. Now I do vary this if I increase the heat for some stupid...I mean odd reason :look: I also use a deep protein, three days before I t-up.

*Michelle*

LocksOfLuV said:
Imam sleep on it some more! :yep:

I can't decide between emergencee every 2 weeks or a reconstructor every 2 weeks.

Every two weeks max...please be careful not to over do it! BTW Emergencee is a reconstructor.

Too much protein causes breakage...y'all are SCARING ME!!!!!

nycutiepie

Pixel Lady said:
Every two weeks max...please be careful not to over do it! BTW Emergencee is a reconstructor.

Pixel - Quenstion for you since you're licensed.......if you're not having any breakage issues, can a reconstructor still be used as a preventative measure? Can you use a reconstructor just for maintenance? If so, how often would you suggest it? TIA

LocksOfLuV

Pixel Lady said:

I used to do it with no problems. On the bottle it says it can be used every 2 weeks safely and I also contacted Nexxus and they said the same. If I do decide to do it, I will def. be on the look out for breakage :yep: .

Keen

I do the combination. My hair can't wait for the hard protein every 6 weeks. So I do a light protein weekly and do a hard protein every 4 to 6 weeks.

NessaNessa

I did a search and could not find the answer, so here goes. Whats the diff. b/t a reconstructor and a light protein?

R

Reslnt1

Pixel Lady said:

which protein do you use bi-weekly and which monthly

CAPlush

I do both. I do an aphogee treatment every 5-6 weeks, and use a reconstructor 1-2x a week. I know it sounds like a lot, but my entire head was over-processed and heat damaged and I've been able to maintain low breakage and decent ends this way. Also, many of my protein conditioners are pretty balanced, they also act moisturizing and detangling. While I did cut off a lot of the damage, I could not get it all removed without getting it cut entirely too short for me, so I just committed to maintaining the hair until I could get more trims. When my hair gets into better condition, I will go longer time periods between aphogee treatments. I read in Cathy Howse's book that the effects of a protein conditioner only last 3-4 days (unless they are designed to last longer like aphogee), so I use that as a rule of thumb because it seems to be true for my hair.

Arcadian

I don't bother with hard protien generally, but do softer ones weekly. My hair likes this quite a lot.

Sure I tried Emergencee...that same bottle has been sitting there not doing much of anything for a minute too. It made my hair soft but I wasn't exactly shedding or breaking a lot before I used it. I REALLY wasn't shedding after!!

If I have a major breakage moment I'll no doubt be very glad for it!

-A

HoneyDew

I need a regular protein in my regimine. I only do it when I need it.

I did a protein treatment 2 weeks ago and my hair was doing great. I relaxed about a week ago and today I saw a few short pieces in my hand when I fingercombed this morning. also my hair is not keeping a tighter curl as well. My hair is very moisturized, so I know I need a protein treatment ASAP.

Maybe I need to do them every 2 weeks. :confused:

LocksOfLuV

HoneyDew said:
I need a regular protein in my regimine. I only do it when I need it.

I did a protein treatment 2 weeks ago and my hair was doing great. I relaxed about a week ago and today I saw a few short pieces in my hand when I fingercombed this morning. also my hair is not keeping a tighter curl as well. My hair is very moisturized, so I know I need a protein treatment ASAP.

Maybe I need to do them every 2 weeks. :confused:

Which one did u do?

Aubergold

I just do the light frequent ones as a pre-poo. There are already so many products and steps to remember I get lazy and don't wanna buy more stuff. I hope I can just keep nipping excessive breakage in the bud every week. I supposed I can grab some heavy protein if my hair goes haywire.

LocksOfLuV

RavenIvygurl said:
I just do the light frequent ones as a pre-poo. There are already so many products and steps to remember I get lazy and don't wanna buy more stuff. I hope I can just keep nipping excessive breakage in the bud every week. I supposed I can grab some heavy protein if my hair goes haywire.

I used to do the pre-poo but my hair doesn't notice the difference.:lol:

I need to do a poll.

HoneyDew

LocksOfLuV said:
Which one did u do?

K-Pak. I love that stuff.

I cannot wait until it is time for me to wash my hair this weekend. It is SCREAMING for some protein. I did a light protein on relaxer day, but I don't think that was enough. I have a little Emergencee left and I think I may use that up this weekend. I am like you, though, that stuff can get expensive.

My hair looks good right now, but it has been acting so fragile since I relaxed. What if I had relaxed bone straight?! :eek: