Protein Shake Ladies...

Leslie_C

Im sure we all know protein shakes can get boring so lets list ways to spic them up a bit. Im using them for fitness/weight loss and hair growth purposes.

I just had one for breakfast, and it was good! Tastes like a smoothie.
I used 1 scoop vanilla(sometimes I use 1/2 van 1/2 choc)17g
1 container blue bunny lite 85 pina colada yogurt 6g
1/2 cup skim milk 4.5 g
a few ice cubes
27.5 grams protein, a little over 200 calories and a couple grams of fat!

mmmm, Im drining it as I type....

Neroli

I posted the below in another thread, but looks like people were more interested in the pre-mixed protein drinks. I find that whipping up my own is waaaay cheaper, it's fresher and I have more control over flavor and contents because I can eliminate or reduce sugar, salt and preservatives!

I do protein shakes maybe 3 to 4 days a week, sometimes more when I'm really trying to be good. Here's my mix:

1. 4 cups vanilla or plain soymilk (start with good protein base!)
2. 1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt (for thickness, also more protein!) - can substitude fruit of choice here -- but I avoid fruits in my shakes and stick with high protein ingredients.
3. 2 heaping tablespons protein powder (soy, whey, whatever I can find cheap, doesn't matter to me)
4. 2 heaping tablespoons brewers yeast (extra shot of B vitamins!)
5. 2 tablespoons lecithin liquid or granules (if I have it)

Mix the above in a blender and good to go! The above yields a 3 day supply if drinking one glass a day and I leave the rest in the blender and refrigerate. The recipe can be doubled so that yields 6 or 7 day supply, but I like the freshness also can get a little variety by mixing new batch.

Of course, you can mix and match stuff you like, sometimes I use wheat germ instead of brewers yeast. Sometimes I add flaxseed meal, whatever, just keep it healthy and raw . . .

gymfreak336

I like chocolate shakes the best...namely Optimum Whey in chocolate.

I like to add extra cocoa powder and a spoonful of powered milk to beef up the taste.

I will also add a little cinnamon to a vanilla shake

Sometimes I freeze mine so its like a chocolate protein icecream/frosty treat

tricie

I have been making the Seven Wonders Hair Cocktail as per a thread on here that never really got going (for some reason I can't find the thread again, but back when I did, I copied and pasted it into a Word doc, so here is the recipe (it's very similar to Neroli's):

Seven Wonders "Hair Food" Cocktail

The following drink contains Protein, Choline, Inositol, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin E and Zinc: The seven ingredients nutritionists most often recommend for growing healthy hair.

8 Fl oz Plain Yoghurt
8 Fl oz Orange Juice
3 Tablespoons Wheat Germ
3 Tablespoons Brewers Yeast
1 Tablespoon Lecithin Crystals
1 Teaspoon Vitamin C Crystals
1 Raw Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon Unflavored Gelatine Powder
Honey to Taste (optional)

Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. If a blender is not available put all the ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously.

This tonic makes a quick and nutritious breakfast and will work wonders for your hair.

I would add that the brewers yeast or the lecithin (not sure which), make the taste, well...rough! :ohwell: For the sake of hair, I have braved it and drank it anyway. I add a LOT of honey and Splenda to help it out. It makes about 3 or so drinks if you drink about 4 or less ounces a day. I blend mine, and put ice cubes in it to make it really cold; that's the only way I can stand it! :lachen:

HHG!