Protein: How Should I Get Started?

Hi, beautiful peeps!

I hope you are progressing nicely on your HHJ.

I'm writing this post because I am ready to try adding protein into my hair care regimen, but I have no prior experience with this.

1. How would you get started if you were me?

2. Is it possible to permanently damage my hair if I do something with protein that my hair doesn't like?

3. How will I know if I'm doing it right?

4. What would you say are the does and don'ts of using protein?

5. Are there any warnings about using protein that you want to share and/or that you wish someone had given you?

6. Recommended products for moisture-protein balance?

Thanks in advance for any help you can share!

Blessings!

julzinha

Hi, beautiful peeps!

I hope you are progressing nicely on your HHJ.

I'm writing this post because I am ready to try adding protein into my hair care regimen, but I have no prior experience with this.

1. How would you get started if you were me?

I would say start with a price point you feel comfortable with. Also start with a reconstructor such as Aphogee 2 min and Joico K-Pak. Or a protein conditioner such as AO GPB

2. Is it possible to permanently damage my hair if I do something with protein that my hair doesn't like?

Not at all. All you have to do is a really moisturizing DC. And up your moisture.

3. How will I know if I'm doing it right?

If you hair feels stronger, but not brittle or like straw.

4. What would you say are the does and don'ts of using protein?

Start low and work your way up. Always do a moisturizing DC. Don't use protein too frequently or infrequently, but you have to determine that based on your hair. Don't listen to these naturals that think adding an egg to a conditioner constitutes a protein treatment, the protein must be hydrolyzed to penetrate.

5. Are there any warnings about using protein that you want to share and/or that you wish someone had given you?

Protein is your friend. You may not be protein sensitive, but have issues with a particular protein product. Find a level of protein that works for you. If your hair can only take protein conditioners, then use that. If you need more then move up to reconstructors or hard treatments. Understand that you hair may not hate protein, but hair certain protein products. That was my issue my hair hated most reconstructors, mainly the fillers in them, but loves pure protein such as Neutral protein filler and aphogee 2 step.

6. Recommended products for moisture-protein balance?

Lustrasilk Moisture Max
Nexxus Polymedic
Aphogee 2 min
Joico K-Pak
Nexxus Emergencee
Aphogee 2 step
Neutral Protein Filler

Thanks in advance for any help you can share!

Blessings!

PJaye

I agree with everything Julzinha has mentioned. Additionally, here are a few key points to help you along in your journey:

- Research all of the different types of proteins - their function/purpose, the benefits received from each and how long those benefits are expected to last post-application.
- Differentiate between the strengthening proteins, the moisture-inducing proteins and the substances that will behave like proteins, such as algae, kelp and seaweed. Make a list of each type to help keep yourself organized.
- Use each type of protein alone in order to best gauge its efficacy and your hair's response to it, e.g., if you have wheat in your shampoo, keratin in your DC and silk in your leave-in, if your hair becomes stiff and/or under-moisturized at the end of the wash day process, it will be difficult to detect which protein is the culprit.
- The location of a protein within the ingredient listing of a product matters a great deal because the higher the protein is on the list, the greater the concentration of it within the product.
- I advise not using protein treatments on a set schedule, but rather allow your hair to tell you what it needs and when it needs it...at least, for a while, e.g., at the beginning of a given month, your hair may need strength via keratin, and while it may not need another dose of keratin until the following month, it would benefit from a shot of collagen for elasticity in the interim; or, it may not need any more protein at all for a while. Routine protein treatments may also cause adverse effects and misdiagnoses of hair issues.
- I also suggest clarifying/chelating before applying a protein treatment in order to maximize its effectiveness. Since proteins penetrate and fill in the gaps along the hair strand, you wouldn't want anything lying around on the hair that would interfere with its ability to do its job.
- Try to find one or two highly effective products that can serve all of your needs, e.g., a light reconstructor that contains a number of beneficial proteins that the hair likes, along with another moderate to heavy treatment that also contains a number of effective proteins.
- Remember that proteins are an essential component of the protein-moisture balance. Hair cannot retain moisture unless it has been reinforced with protein. (I wish someone had told me this tidbit at the onset of my journey)
- Incorporate multiple types of protein into your routine because using one type of protein/protein treatment may not necessarily address all of your hair's needs, e.g., a person's treatment of choice is ABC, which contains collagen and wheat. While these are excellent, highly effective sources of protein and the individual's hair appears to be thriving with their use, it still may not be operating at an optimal level since it's missing out on the strengthening benefits of keratin and the manageability that soy protein provides.

Product Recommendations

- Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner (light) - contains keratin, collagen and peppermint; a ridiculous amount of slip; highly effective; increased circulation from the peppermint; available on the ground; dirt cheap at 16oz for $6
- ORS Replenishing Conditioner (light) - contains collagen and silk; provides a lot of slip; very effective as a moisturizing DC with a nice protein kick; available on the ground; very reasonably priced at $12 for 33oz
- Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor (light) - contains keratin, vegetable and collagen; a nice protein kick with included moisture and softness; available on the ground; reasonably priced at 16oz for $12
- Silicon Mix Pearl (light to moderate) - contains keratin, silk and pearl; offers a ridiculous amount of slip; highly effective; available on the ground; dirt cheap at $7 for 16oz/$11 for 36oz
- Komaza Protein Strengthener (moderate) - contains keratin, silk, collagen, jojoba, wheat, rainbows, warm hugs, baby kittens and unicorns; provides a large amount of slip; extremely strengthening; reasonably priced at 8oz for $12

I have no words!

Thank you both SOOOOOOOOOOO much for taking the TIME to share all of this information.

I had been hesitant to create the thread, but now I'm SO glad I did. I've learned a ton already and you have saved me probably 6 months of mishaps. I had NO IDEA I knew so little about protein.

Many, many thanks!

PJaye

I have no words!

Thank you both SOOOOOOOOOOO much for taking the TIME to share all of this information.

I had been hesitant to create the thread, but now I'm SO glad I did. I've learned a ton already and you have saved me probably 6 months of mishaps. I had NO IDEA I knew so little about protein.

Many, many thanks!

It's my pleasure. I'm glad that I could be of some assistance and pay it forward.