protein first and then shampoo?

Lady S

I'm trying to add more protein into my hair care. My question is this, if I'm going to use a protein treatment like aphogee, is it okay to use it first, then shampoo and deep condition? Or am I washing away the protein that way?

I`ve done overnight protein treatments and then shampoo the next day...

I hope the experts come in soon to enlighten us:yep:

Thanks for replying ShaniKeys.

I know someone in here has a very technical & scientific explanation for us. *sits down patiently and waits*

Will also accept untechnical and nonscientific explanations. I ain't picky.

Yep I did it this weekend. I used Joico KPAK under the dryer for 30 min then shampooed and DCed. I got this method from Macherieamour.

I just started applying my OCT ( a protein treatment) to dry hair before my wash. So far it hasn't caused overload. *fingers crossed*

I do this ALL the time, and my hair has greatly thanked me for it :)

It all depends on how your hair reacts to protein. For me, pre - pooing with a protein and moisture mixture before washing and conditioning has made my hair stronger with less breakage and it's able to retain moisture better as well. it also works well for my new growth and demarcation line breakage.

I do this ALL the time, and my hair has greatly thanked me for it :)

It all depends on how your hair reacts to protein. For me, pre - pooing with a protein and moisture mixture before washing and conditioning has made my hair stronger with less breakage and it's able to retain moisture better as well. it also works well for my new growth and demarcation line breakage.

I agree. It depends on how your hair reacts to protein and what type of protein treatment you're using. If you use the 2step, then protein first, then continue. If you're using the 2 minute, then shampoo first and then protein. It's very important to make sure that you use a deep conditioning moisturizing treatment after protein.

I agree. It depends on how your hair reacts to protein and what type of protein treatment you're using. If you use the 2step, then protein first, then continue. If you're using the 2 minute, then shampoo first and then protein. It's very important to make sure that you use a deep conditioning moisturizing treatment after protein.

Why the 2step and not the 2 minute?

Yeah, I prepoo/dry DC with ORS Hair Mayo with heat, then shampoo and moisture DC. It saves time getting in and out of the shower. Shampoo washes away surface dirt and if you infused your hair with the protein treatment with heat, shampooing can't wash the deep conditioning benefits. Even with a moisture DC on dry hair, you may want to follow your shampoo with an instant condish for slip purposes, but the deep conditioning benefits still remain. I did this for a couple of months as well with Sitri Nillah DC Masque and it worked out well.

This is a great question. Thanks to those who chimed in w/ answers. I'm all about saving a trip in and out of the shower. So, I have another question. Would you get the benefits of a protein treat and DC if you mix them together and apply w/ heat on dry hair,(ie mix 1/2 Aphogee 2min and Redken All Soft heavy cream, for example) then shampoo and condish?

Last edited:
This is a great question. Thanks to those who chimed in w/ answers. I'm all about saving a trip in and out of the shower. So, I have another question. Would you get the benefits of a protein treat and DC if you mix them together and apply w/ heat on dry hair,(ie mix 1/2 Aphogee 2min and Redken All Soft heavy cream, for example) then shampoo and condish?

A one step moisturizing protein conditioner/treatment would be :sweet:.

Ladies, I think we're going to have to play guinea pigs and see which method has the best results.

Back