"Protective Stylin" for the last 3 months CHALLENGE!

I'm glad to join!! I've been doing this consistently for several months now, so might as well be in the challenge!

1) My protective style of choice is a lace-front wig; I have my hair braided in box braids underneath.
2)I will PS for ALL 3 months or longer.
3)I promise to adhere to the heat rules...I haven't used heat in nearly a year.
4)I will try to remember to update at least once every 2 weeks.

Late! I know. But, I'm just getting back in the game. I'll close out the challenge with you all!!!

-My protective styles of choice are twists, buns and updos.
-I will PS from now, Nov. 16th until Dec. 31st
-I promise to adhere to the heat rules. ROGER THAT
-I will update at least once every two weeks. ROGER THAT

Hair still in braids. Moisturizing with water and sealing with Argan Oil.:yep:

Checking in!! I'm still bunning. I did use heat a few weeks ago to do an updo for a black tie event. I'll probably post pictures whenever i figure out how to get the pics off my cell. my stylist did a fab job. i wouldn't say it's worth the heat.... but i'm back to bunning anywho!

I have been slacking with my checking in, but I have an excuse. I was on vacation! So while I was on vacation I continued bunning and for about 3 days I did a twist out. I am now back home and I am back to bunning it for now. One day, I will do a different protective style, but for now this is the easiest and cheapest way for me to go.

Hi ladies :wave: Just wanted to check in. I went on a cruise for a week and when I came back my keyboard was on the fritz! No space bar action of any kind! :nono:

Anyhow, wanted to let you know that I have been a protecting fool!! I'm in a sew in now and will ride this out til Feb!

It's pretty, too! Couple pics:

Still at the shop:
weavetwo-1.jpg

At home:
th_Photo0087.jpg

th_Photo0094.jpg

^^^ that's some of my leave out hair that I'm holding in my hand. I was surprised at how long my hair is getting!

Not getting down with the heat styling so I've mostly been wearing it in a braid out like below:

th_braidout.jpg

Last edited:
checking in, I am still in twist which my hair seems to love. I tried to do a bun with a sponge and it made the middle of my head hurt, I took it down after I got home from work and went right back to twisting.

i haven't checked in for a little while. i had to use a heat pass because my hair was so tangled I couldn't stand it. As soon as I detangled it would tangle right back up and I was losing a ton of hair. I flat ironed with my Maxiglide and my hair was nice and shiny. I used Sabino and it helped my hair last for a week. I hardly lost any hair all week and was able to do a good S&D.

Then last week I did 3 strand twists with flat twists in the front. It looked crazy (i'm not good at flat twists yet) but I was home most of the week so it didn't matter. I'm going to do 3 strand twists today on my whole head and keep it in a bun.

ok i dont know the last time i posted but i did braid outs for about 2 weeks and this week my hair is twisted. this will last a week or 2 ( i hope 2!). i did a s&d yesterday before twisting. it's looking much better you guys!! way less knots and splits :) woo hoo! i havent done any wngs or used any direct heat =)

checking in...

still bunning. i finally end my 18 week stretch tuesday! i'm excited. i'm thinking a rollerset and blowing out roots so i can do my progress pics. i can't wait to update my fotki with my results!

Update:Even though I said I would be half-wigging it I have found myself wearing my own hair out more...2 strand twists, cornrows, flat twists, braid outs. I am retaining length and I am so happy. I will continue to protective style without my wig until the new year and beyond!

Laptop died on me so I haven't been able to check-in but still wearing my wigs and braids. Thinking about getting a weave for my bday haven't decided yet but still working on it. Thinking also about taking this into Feb so I'll stop messing with my hair so much in the evenings. HHG ladies.

ETA: I've used like 3 heat passes. Don't shoot me. I might just have to hide the flatiron and the blowdryer and the curling irons for a while. lol

Last edited:
sorry the update is late been working and sick. I'm still wigging it. lol. I did wear it out yesterday to show my family that I cut my hair. They love the fact that's it's natural and curly.

i'm in a lace front wig now ladies, and i'm loving it! Gonna rock this for the rest of the challenge. still undecided if im gonna relax at 14 weeks, its pretty easy thus far but i dont wanna encounter a set back trying to stretch too long..

Hey All

Still braided/ weaved up! I washed and conditioned last week using diluted aussie moist shampoo and aussie deep condish. I used a color applicator bottle to get in the "nooks and crannies" of the sew-in. I spritz every other day with diluted aphogee provitamin leave in and occasionally use the green tea and keratin spray, this part is an experiment for me because I usually stay true to diluted infusium so hopefully I see lots of retention!

its amazing how dec is right around the corner! Im still hoping to rock this style into the new year! We shall see :)

Update for moi- Im weaved up until February. The left out parts get minimal to no heat. I make sure to oil my scalp 2-3x a week.

still bunning with occasional braidouts.
hope to get my hair blow-dried and flat-ironed sometime in December which is exciting because have not used heat since mid-August.

Well I did a BKT so for that I will charge 3 heat passes :) I haven't been using heat and my hair has stayed cornrowed under my lacefront. After the BKT I DC'd with SE Megasilk, applied leave in mix, sealed with coconut oil, and cornrowed my hair back up. Its been 2weeks since the BKT and I have redone the cornrows two times and had no breakage yay! I won't be using any more heat for the rest of the year and I love my lacefront so this will by my protective style for the year.

Back