Protective styles for short hair - no buns

preciousjewel76

Hello ladies! I've been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks, and this is my first post. First off, let me say that I already appreciate all that I have learned from you in 2 weeks!!:notworthy You sisters know what you are talking about.

Anyway, my question is about protective/low manipulation hairstyles for short-mid length hair. My hair is chin length, with some layers. I typically don't use very much heat on it, if at all - I don't want to flat iron it. I usually pin curl or twist it at night and wear it in a mini French twist or mini bun during the day. Any other suggestions? I'm not really into wearing "faux hair" (I dunno, just one of my quirks), so I don't want to go out and purchase any buns. My hair was recently overprocessed:mad:, so it's too fragile for braids.

Now I know many of you have long, strong, beautiful hair already, but if you could help out a short-haired sista, I'd really appreciate it!:D

You really don't need much in the way of protective styling because your hair is not really rubbing against your clothes as much.

For me, protective styling is still good because I touch and comb my hair less during the day.

I am like you, I don't like buns and I don't want to do anything fake. I just clip my hair up in the back with a barrette or small claw clip and I am out the door.

I leave some hair out in the front for a side swoop bang and that's it.

You could try wet sets with smaller rollers or braid/twist outs. My hair is not long, but this is what I use to keep from using direct heat. Hope this helps. :)

Mom23 said:
You could try wet sets with smaller rollers or braid/twist outs. My hair is not long, but this is what I use to keep from using direct heat. Hope this helps. :)

True...but my rollerset technique is...shall we say....:eek:! I need to practice it more. I've been thinking about trying those bendable rollers or large perm rods. Me and magnetic rollers dont get along all that well.

My hair is currently at neck length and I'm almost 22 weeks post and am struggling with the same situation. This past weekend I purchased perm rods from the bss. I parted my hair in sections and after twisting that section, I rolled the ends of my hair with the perm rods. Each day I tried a different method and eventually got the hang of it within a few days. The perm rods were a life saver.

vsantina said:
My hair is currently at neck length and I'm almost 22 weeks post and am struggling with the same situation. This past weekend I purchased perm rods from the bss. I parted my hair in sections and after twisting that section, I rolled the ends of my hair with the perm rods. Each day I tried a different method and eventually got the hang of it within a few days. The perm rods were a life saver.

I was eyeing some perm rods just last weekend at Sally's. They seem like they'd be easier to use on shorter hair than magnetic rollers.

vsantina said:

That is a great idea. I never thought of that but I might have to try that next week end. Thanks. You just started and you are already making great suggestions.

I disagree w/the poster who said that since your ends don't touch your clothig, you don't need a protective style. Our hair is damaged daily by UV rays from the sun, and gets dry from wind, in cold weather and low humid climates. I think a good protective style could be wearing a wig. Since your hair is short, there are probably many wigs you could get that probably will look exactly like how you currently wear it. You could moisturize and do the baggie method underneath the wig if you liked.

Right now I really can't pull off a decent ponytail. I found a tip here about castor oil and how it helps with your hair line. I used this with MTG and Surge and it helped my hair grow and thicken. I really didn't need help to thicken because my hair is already thick, but it is getting healthier the longer I transition.:lol: I wish I could braid or twist it to give me options. I still have to learn how to get the total look prefected.

DDtexlaxd said:
Right now I really can't pull off a decent ponytail. I found a tip here about castor oil and how it helps with your hair line. I used this with MTG and Surge and it helped my hair grow and thicken. I really didn't need help to thicken because my hair is already thick, but it is getting healthier the longer I transition.:lol: I wish I could braid or twist it to give me options. I still have to learn how to get the total look prefected.
What's MTG and surge and how did you use them to help thicken your hair. Sorry, i'm new to the board and not so new to alot of the abbreviations and techniques that float around on the board! Thanks.

MTG is short for Mane tail and groom. It is a growth product for horses and people like mane and tail conditioner. MTG is more potent in strength and smell because it has a high sulfur content. This product can be a bit stinky so alot of people hide the smell / pepermint oil or other essentials oils. It helps with growth and for me, it makes my hair not able to be relaxed strait.:ohwell: It may be just me, but I am through with relaxing my hair. Surge is another growth product I read about. It also helps my hairline and nape grow. Using these 3 products, I have gained alot of hair, despite my constant BCS. I am going to BC one last time next year. Hope I answered all yr Qs. Welcome to LHCF. You'll learn alot here, just like I did.

I'm not too much of a fan of fake hair, but I have to cosign with the ladies that rollerset and then wrap. As for protective styles, I usually make a small part in the front and then twist up the hair in the back with a nice clip. Oil on the ends seems to help also. :) Oh, Macherieamour's rollersetting tutorial was great!

pulling the hair up in a claw is my main protective style. My hair has reached shoulder length (go me!) but its still hard to bun if not straight.

Back