Bunning/Protective styling for fine hair

FluffyRed

I promise I looked for this and could not find it.

When my hair reached SL (what I thought was my "terminal length" for years) Whenever I bunned my hair, the ends I would experience crunchiness, knots and breakage.

After LHCF, I know to moisturize before bunning and baggy-bun when possible, but are there any other tips in how you bun OR do other protective styles that are fine-hair-specific?

discodumpling

I consider myself a fine head because MOST of my strands are finely textured.
After my bun "sets" in place I remove my ponytail holder and secure with either bobby pins or french combs. Doing this places the least stress on my hair.

FluffyRed

My fine strands break off wherever you place the clip. I get a bald little afro patch.

Maybe bunning is not for me until my hair is WAY longer. I cannot use rubberbands, etc.

I thnk chopsticks would be low friction, but who knows

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Oh wow.

Well, if you hair is that delicate, "protective" styles may not be protective for you at all. I mean most involve some manipulation and/or use of something to hold your hair up.

Have you ever thought about using the smaller flexi-clips? Those are very gentle on hair.

charmtreese

I have very fine hair and I rarely bun using any type of elastic band. I normally bun with long open "V" hair pins. This way I do not have any tension and my buns have more volume. I have pic's of my buns in my fotki.

FluffyRed

WOW! that was started almost a year ago.

Now at SL, I use hair zings, open v hair pins and good hair days pins.

I don't baggy and I don't use oil. Keeping it simple