Protective hairstyles

kaykay

I was just wondering what protective hairstyles that alot of you do because I only know of 3
1. twist out
2. bun
3. braid out

If there are anymore can you please tell me?

I guess that all updos are considered to be protective styles. I have viewed so many in different albums that are so pretty. I'm adding High ponytails...and braided ponytails to this list.

hi Kaykay. I'm glad you're considering other protective styles and getting away from the weaves. They can be really damaging on relaxed hair. I wore a sewn in weave until my hair was long enough to put in a ponytail. I wear ponytails most of the time now. Be careful with buns and ponytails because they can sometimes cause breakage around the hairline. You will need to vary your ponytail styles so that it's not sitting in the same spot everyday.

I would say yes as longs as the braids are not too small and tight. I think microbraids are more damaging then regular cornrows.

Thanks Keylargo I am definately going try try and stray from the weaves!

Does anyone have any more ideas?

hair accessories are our friends. they can make a plain ol bun look very elegant.

in addition, french, dutch, and herringbone braids are also great protective styles. Search the internet on how to do these.

I used to do large cainrows on my own relaxed bra strap length hair and leave them in for two weeks after which I would wash my hair. Now I do pin curls after my roller set, it makes me look like I have short hair so people are really confused when they see may hair down. It can look very elegant and means I don't have to brush or comb my hair until wash day. This protective style has really helped me in my growth process and the great thing is that when I'm going out, I take out the pins and have lots of flowing curls. All I have to do is spray it with ORS olive oil.
rofl.gif

Lonei, can you give me instructions on pin curling? I am really interested in trying this technique. How many pins are used to secure each curl? Are you using any products to hold the curl such as setting lotion? How long does it take to pin curl your hair?
Thanks.
grin.gif

I just can't do a bun daily it breaks my hair so I went out and purchased a lot of pretty clips and chopsticks to do some twists and updos. I can wear my hair up without all the pulling and protect my ends too.

I found a couple clips that open on one end and slide into place and hold your twist, bun, french roll, etc. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread! I found them at Claires and at Target. They don't pull my hair but have great grip. I wear my "protective styles" without breakage.

Hi guys,Vitality PM(ed) me but here is the message i sent her. I will post the other message in one second.

There is a picture of what pin curls look like and instructions of how to do them on this website. Go to search and in the username section type 'CaramelHonee' and in the time scale bracket select 'older than 2 weeks'. There you will find a thread called 'I just did an Amazing Roller set'. Go to page 11 on that thread and the picture will appear under caramelhonnes name. It shows both what the pin curls look like and what they can look like when you take them down. Please note that when I do my pin curls, I don't comb out my ringlets, I just grease my scalp and pin them as they are in the picture. I think that caramel has combed out her curls after the roller set but before she pin curls it. Therefore, what i am trying to say is that when I take mine down they are ringlets whereas hers is a fairly straight style with a curl at the end. ANYWAY, for instructions on how to do it go to page 12 of that same thread and I think caramel bumps it for you to select. The instructions are on page 1 of this thread and its called 'how do you keep your curls'. There are two methods, i use the one that is called 'slinky' in that the curls are pinned down to your head like in the picture. I love going out with this style, people are often intigued about how its done and its hassle free. You may or may not like it, PM me as soon as you've seen it. Hope this has been of some help By the way, is your hair relaxed and if so what length is it?

I am so sorry, i got so carried away with describing the method that i didn't really answer your initial questions!!! Ok, usually I use one pin per curl but if its really big then I may have to use two or three, one on each side. I use motions leave in and Fantasia IC Hair polisher to set the hair (it's like keracare silken seal) on rollers. It generally elicits a natural sheen. When its dry, I grease my scalp using ORS Olive oil scalp hairdress and spary it if necessary with the ORS Olive oil spray. I then tye it down with a silk scarf and go to bed. It can take 10 mins to 30 mins depedning on how many curls you have and how neat you want the pin curls to look. Get back to me when you can. Also I have just found a post entitled Pin Curls, (do a search) this explains how to do larger ones to produce more free curls.

I used to wear my hair in very tight pin curls, which I loved, but I noticed that my natural oils did not flow down to my ends, making the ends of my hair dryer.

I then started combing hair straight back and just pinning as much hair as I possibly could with one pin. The result was big, flowing curls, which looked much like I had just gotten a roller set.

Back