Protective Hair styles for thinning edges

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I have been wearing my hair in a protective style (pulled back in a bun) for about 6 months now. It has been working great and my ends are really healthy but the problem is my edges are thinning out a lot. I pull my hair back in a very loose ponytail, but I wanna get a new protective style so that my edges don't have any stress. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Compassion

Good question Luv hair.
I love to air dry using the pony tail method. But because of my thin sides, I usually can't do it the traditional way. I make several pony tails, so as not to stress my edges to much. It doesn't get as straight as I would like though, but that's all I have for now. Maybe trying a lower pony tail, or just pinning up may help. My sides have been thin every since I removed my micro braids. The lady put them in really tight. Yea, having thinner sides, limits me when it comes to styling sometimes. Often times, I have to (don't laugh yall) shade in my sides with a pencil.

Blessings,
Compassion

honeycomb719

Good question Luv
. Don't feel shame Compassion, I used to use black bees wax on my edges, because they're so thin. But, they're not as bad now. Dn't have a suggestion to your question Luv, but I'll keep my eye on this post for tips I can use

kisz4tj

Sorry Compassion, I did laugh, but I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. Once my mom bought me a dark brown lipstick type thing that supposed to be used to color gray hairs, and I've used that on my edges occassionally. Who woulda thought there's someone else doing these crazy things

lshevonne

I've been parting my hair down the center and combing the hair down for a low bun/ponytail or even french roll. My hair isn't that long but it works for me and I think it gives my edges a break.

Camille

Hey Ishevonne!

Wow Ishevonne, I was really impressed with your pictures, your hair has really grown alot in only 5 months! It looks great! Keep up the good work!
Happy Dance Happy Dance!

beana3

Re: Hey Ishevonne!

I was experiencing major breakage at the crown of my head and I could NOT figure out what was causing this until It finally dawned on me (after about 8 months
) that my ponytail was causing stress in that area.
Another protective style option could be bradis or even cornrows (if they're not too tight at the hairline). I trynot to wear ponytails anymore, but lately i've been forced to.

sweetcocoa

I'm finding one big braid(cornrow or french braid) down the back is putting less tension on my sides then when I pulled it back in a regular ponytail.

Compassion

Kisz4tj!!!
I know what you mean. My Mother told me last month (when I found my 1st gray hair), to just take my mascara brush and color that one gray hair. She told me that that would be better than using a permanent dye, and that the semi permanent would fade quickly since I wash my hair so much. I thought about it!! I really did. LOL

Blessings,
Compassion