Proper care of sew-ins?

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey ladies! :D

I'm getting a sew in this Thursday and wanted to ask what's the proper way to care for and maintain the weave and my hair underneath? How long should I keep it in? How often should I get it tightened up? Should I get her to braid my hair vertical or horizontal? Any weave masters HELP!!!!

I want to make sure that I understand what I need to do to keep it looking good and keep my hair healthy.

glamazon386

Treat the sew in as you would your own hair. Be sure to wash and condition it. Keep your braids moisturized underneath. And don't leave it in longer than 10-12 weeks. Vertical braids are better. I'm not sure about tightening. I would think most people take their weave down around 6 to 8 weeks to relax. But if you relax later than that, I would guess it would make sense to get it tightened up around then. I've never been to the salon to get my weave tightened up so I'm not really sure. You could always ask your stylist and see what they say.

I currently have a wave sew-in.I had one prior to this and got excellent growth. You have to treat the hair like yours. I wash mine weekly, and rinse daily due to working out. i also use Infusium 23 leave in condtioner mixed with jojoba oil daily. This helps with the itching for me. I also mositurize with wgo every other day. i also have horizontal braids.. I've had 3 sew-ins and no problems with this type of braiding.Some perfer vertical braiding.;) Make sure that it's not put in to tight as this can damage your hair underneath.. I only leave mine up for eight weeks.. :D

sunshinebeautiful

I always make sure I DC before getting braided up for the weave. I've always had vertical braids. I make sure to wash every week as well and keep my hair underneath moisturized. I usually use braid spray or Scurl. HTH. I'm getting a new sew-in myself today. :)

Andreainnis

All of the sugestions so far are what I've followed since getting a sew-in but I also strongly recommend looking at Reniece's fotki and regimen...That chic is no joke! She is the weave MASTER!!!.... And her hair is off the chain! She has really figured it out. Good luck girl,HHG.