Product junkie blues!

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Y’all, I been away for several years….I had sisterlocks for 10 years, then cut them and wore a headwrap for 2 years. I moved and tried to start locs again but I couldn’t maintain for various reasons. Started wrapping my head again but hardly taking care of it. Hair was dry cuz i hated wash day and didn’t moisturize…..then I decided imma take better care of my hair and switch it up. Next thing I know, I’m ordering Mielle clarifying shampoo, oil, and deep conditioner, Donna’s recipe (entire line), Melanin Haircare travel kit + deep conditioner, the Cécred line, and Camille Rose Rosemary water Mist….Pattern blowdryer, styling tools, detangler, shampoo, conditioner, custard and mist, and Taliah Waajid spray conditioner PLUS I ALREADY HAD MY REGULAR OL ALAFFIA SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER SMH!!!!

I’m tryna discover what my loose hair likes now at 40…..but man issa lotta work! I’mma play with these products for a bit but imma have to get locs agaon cuz I can’t stop buying products!!!! It’s such a different landscape from back when I was first a loose natural in the early 2000s. I want all the things!!!

How do y’all keep it under control?? If you wanna try out certain product lines and you have a bunch of products from each line , do you use one line for an extended period of time before switching to another line you’ve bought?

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 9
I’ve become a real lazy natural. I’m not really motivated to buy a lot of products anymore.

honestly if tighteninge weren’t so expensive I’d loc up. I anticipate getting a low cut so I can wash n go and keep it moving.

I usually only buy DCs and stylers now.

I'm a lazy natural who wears braids most of the year.

At most, all I use is Shampoo, DC, sulfur 8 braid spray and castor oil.

for braid removal all I use is warm water and conditioner.

I really only wanna try the design essentials avocado shampoo thats all and I will buy it on sale

I also want to say that I'm currently using up my stash before I think about buying new stuff

Last edited:
One way I curb this is only buying what I truly need. If a product is not it/not for my hair, I will try out a few new brands to find a replacement-no more than two or three-and keep using what works. Otherwise, I stick with what works and rarely change up. I also know what ingredients my hair like and don't like so that rules out a lot of hair product lines for me because I am going to always look at the ingredients before buying. And, I almost always buy my hair products on sale so I have no issue buying more as needed if I am getting a discount.

To answer your last question, I would use one product line for at least a month if not two months to see how it makes my hair feel over time. Then I would move on to the next hair care line and try that out. Gauge your results from each line and what you feel your hair likes best. The one that works best and keeps your hair healthy would be your core hair care products.

How do y’all keep it under control?? If you wanna try out certain product lines and you have a bunch of products from each line , do you use one line for an extended period of time before switching to another line you’ve bought?

Another lazy natural checking in. Congrats on getting back into the game. :afropick:
Budgetwise, when the money runs out, that's when I know it's time to stop (slow down).
But seriously, I try to get to at least 1/2 of product useage for products that work before I move on.
For those that don't, I use in other ways, just to get rid of them and not have them piling up on the counter.

As far as Product purchases and curbing PJ tendencies - been there. done that.:eek:

I'm interested in steadily reducing my Stash as much as possible and only trying new products every once in a while:spinning:

My stash will keep me busy for a long, long, long time.:nono:

Y’all, I been away for several years….I had sisterlocks for 10 years, then cut them and wore a headwrap for 2 years. I moved and tried to start locs again but I couldn’t maintain for various reasons. Started wrapping my head again but hardly taking care of it. Hair was dry cuz i hated wash day and didn’t moisturize…..then I decided imma take better care of my hair and switch it up. Next thing I know, I’m ordering Mielle clarifying shampoo, oil, and deep conditioner, Donna’s recipe (entire line), Melanin Haircare travel kit + deep conditioner, the Cécred line, and Camille Rose Rosemary water Mist….Pattern blowdryer, styling tools, detangler, shampoo, conditioner, custard and mist, and Taliah Waajid spray conditioner PLUS I ALREADY HAD MY REGULAR OL ALAFFIA SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER SMH!!!!

I’m tryna discover what my loose hair likes now at 40…..but man issa lotta work! I’mma play with these products for a bit but imma have to get locs agaon cuz I can’t stop buying products!!!! It’s such a different landscape from back when I was first a loose natural in the early 2000s. I want all the things!!!

I LOVE trying new things on my hair. It creates a dynamic where I never have to scramble for a replacement when a favorite is discontinued. To make it practical I just take advantage of sales, promotions, bundles, and discounts. Right now I am shopping the Ulta Sephora sales where each day new items are 50% off between now adn 3/28. Will take a peek at the 5-dollar sale Mielle has every year and do the same when other companies have their big once-a-year sales. Google Chrome also has a track-the-price feature where I can get an alert when my faves co on sale anywhere online. Maybe 10% of the items in my cabinet were brought full price without some type of bundle. I get most of my stuff discounted to keep my shopping responsible. I never stopped enjoying the process of liking to try new products. I can be considered a product junkie. I just keep an eye out for sales, couponing, and bundles to offset the costs.

When trying new products I will test 1-3 new products on a small section of my hair at a time. From there I will just integrate the product into a wash or style stay as it fits whatever I am trying to do with my hair. I actually don't like using a full product line together the first time I try it, because that makes it harder to identify the culprit if my hair hates something in the lineup. I use a variety of products and consistently repurchase the ones I like the most.

Back