Problem with Creme of Nature Shampoo???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I washed my hair the other day for the second time with Creme of Nature shampoo. I experienced the shampoo sticking to my new growth. It was so hard to wash the shampoo out for some reason. I had to rinse my hair 4 times to get the shampoo out, and even use another shampoo to get it out!
shocked.gif
What can I do to prevent this next time? Should I use less of the shampoo and not try to make it lather? Any suggestions?
confused.gif

Creme of Nature is one of my staples, and I've never had a problem with creme of nature shampoo.
scratchchin.gif
Well, I take that back. I always use the professional one, not the one they sell in the drug stores, like Walmart. Once I used the non-professional one by mistake and didn't like the effects. I don't remember what they were though, but I just remember not liking it and giving it away.

Anyway, I use the one from the BSS in the yellow and green bottle for color treated hair. Professional is listed on the front, at the bottom, of the larger bottles. I don't know if it's truly a difference, but for me it was.

Also, you may want to use less. I don't use a lot of it when I do use it. Also, maybe it's interacting with something that your using more on your newgrowth, which may be making it harder to shampoo out.

scratchchin.gif
Hmmm...I did just start applying Profectiv RootHealth to my newgrowth. I have the same bottle as you...the one that's white and green with a yellow cap and its for dry, brittle color-treated hair. It doesnt say professional on it. Maybe it's because my new growth isn't dry, brittle and color-treated.
look.gif

My newgrowth isn't dry, brittle or colored treated either. Only my ends have color. IMO, it may be interacting with the profectiv RH. Try it without the Profective and hopefully you'll have better results.

There *is* a difference between the regular one & the professional versions. CON can cause build up so that may have been what happened. When was the last time you clarified? Is CON the shampoo you use the most?

I buy mine from walmart and absolutely love the results, but only when I dilute it in a cup of water, then apply it to my scalp. By doing that it doesn't "stick" to my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
There *is* a difference between the regular one & the professional versions. CON can cause build up so that may have been what happened. When was the last time you clarified? Is CON the shampoo you use the most?

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time i clarified was May 22 with Suave Clarifying shampoo. Yesterday was the second time I used Creme of Nature Shampoo. Before using it, I had Herbal Essence with worked great for my hair. Those are the only shampoos I have.

Pooh, if you're home, can you do me a favor? Read the back of your CON bottle and tell me if it has Sodium Hydroxide, please. I was at another haircare site and it says that CON has lye in it.
shocked.gif

I have con for colored treated hair, the one in the yellow bottle with green writing and it doesn't have lye. here are the ingredients:

Creme of Nature Ingredients - Ultra Moist.
water, trideceth 7 carboxylic acid, disodium cocoamphodipropionate, polyquaternium-10, glycol stearate, aloe extract, hydrolyzed milk protein, wheat germ oil, honey, lemon extract, dimethicone copolyol, balsam canada, pectin, lecithin, fragrance, disodium edta, methylparaben, propylparaben, quaternium-15, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone

Thanks, Kitchen tician!

I was afraid I was going to have to throw my shampoo away once I got home. That was scary. That makes me want to go over to that other site and
spank.gif
the person who said there was lye in CON. Making me worry for nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Thanks, Kitchen tician!

I was afraid I was going to have to throw my shampoo away once I got home. That was scary. That makes me want to go over to that other site and
spank.gif
the person who said there was lye in CON. Making me worry for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was mentioned on the LHCF before. There was a CON shampoo that containED or containS sodium hydroxide.

I looked at my CON and it *does* have sodium hydroxide in it. None of my other shampoos do. Oh well.

I SWORE by Creme of Nature shampoo [green and yellow bottle] because it made my hair sooooo soft. But after years of using CON, I became disillusioned with the product because it just stopped working. I mean, it's like the product "got used" to my hair. Try doing a clarifying shampoo and switch products for a while. Try using something else. I don't wash my hair often, but when I do, I use Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castille Magic soaps. I use the Tea-Tree brand [in the orange] bottle because it makes my hair soft and also combats against dandruff and dryness. Then, I condition well. My hair is natural so I don't wash my hair often at all. I might wash about once every two weeks or so to combat buildup.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I looked at my CON and it *does* have sodium hydroxide in it. None of my other shampoos do. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not listed on my bottle. I'll have to look at other bottles when I go the BSS. CON professional works well for me and after reading the threads Allandra bumped, I too think it's simply made with a by product from lye, which makes soap. At least that's how I understood it.

Lye or NO Lye, it's a keeper.
smile.gif

yeah...the sodium hydroxide is probably used strictly for making the shampoo a soap....i have owned 2 conditioners with NaH in them...

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Pooh, if you're home, can you do me a favor? Read the back of your CON bottle and tell me if it has Sodium Hydroxide, please. I was at another haircare site and it says that CON has lye in it.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My bottle is not the professional one...its white and green with a yellow top. It does have sodium hydroxide as an ingredient...so what's wrong with sodium hydroxide being in a shampoo? what will it do to my hair?
confused.gif
I did a rollerset after washing my hair yesterday with Creme of Nature and it came out very soft and moveable.
smile.gif

Sodium Hydroxide=lye.
Now I've heard explanations that lye is commonly used to make soaps so it's not really "lye" in shampoo. Don't doubt that because I know it is true. For giggles, I looked at the ingredients on my other shampoos and none of them have sodium hydroxide listed as an ingredient. Which lets me know that you *can* create a shampoo without using sodium hydroxide.
It just raised a bit of a flag for me because my stylist has been telling me for years to not use CON in my hair. I don't know if it's because of the sodium hydroxide. She had always told me that CON was too heavy for my hair, had too many conditioners to truly get your hair clean, and said that balsam canada is not good for your hair since it can build up. She also said that if I looked closely at the label that I wouldn't use it.
The shampoo was actually not bought for me. It was bought for the girl I mentor, who's a 3c with 4b edges, for when I do her hair. Her hair is EXTREMELY dry and most of the shampoos that I regularly use have never worked at detangling her hair. I started reusing it because she left it at my house and I thought I'd try it again. It does give good slip but I only use it when my hair is feeling a bit drier than usual and I never used it when I was wearing my hair straight. If I do, it doesn't move.
I'll probably just leave it for Brit's hair. I have enough shampoos to use.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Sodium Hydroxide=lye.
Now I've heard explanations that lye is commonly used to make soaps so it's not really "lye" in shampoo. Don't doubt that because I know it is true. For giggles, I looked at the ingredients on my other shampoos and none of them have sodium hydroxide listed as an ingredient. Which lets me know that you *can* create a shampoo without using sodium hydroxide.
It just raised a bit of a flag for me because my stylist has been telling me for years to not use CON in my hair. I don't know if it's because of the sodium hydroxide. She had always told me that CON was too heavy for my hair, had too many conditioners to truly get your hair clean, and said that balsam canada is not good for your hair since it can build up. She also said that if I looked closely at the label that I wouldn't use it.
The shampoo was actually not bought for me. It was bought for the girl I mentor, who's a 3c with 4b edges, for when I do her hair. Her hair is EXTREMELY dry and most of the shampoos that I regularly use have never worked at detangling her hair. I started reusing it because she left it at my house and I thought I'd try it again. It does give good slip but I only use it when my hair is feeling a bit drier than usual and I never used it when I was wearing my hair straight. If I do, it doesn't move.
I'll probably just leave it for Brit's hair. I have enough shampoos to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Tai,

I was told the same thing by a couple of stylists. I normally rotate between 2 shampoos when I do my hair. I either use kera kare detangling poo one week and then CON on my next week, or I'll use a little of both each wash.
Meaning= 1st lather/rinse with CON, next lather/rinse with Kera Care.

My reason is because I recall the hair stylists also saying that it's very strong, but I never knew why. She never mentioned anything about Lye. I don't know if that was their reasoning behind it though.
confused.gif

WHAT WILL THE SODIUM HYDROXIDE OR LYE DO TO YOUR HAIR???

My hair turned out fine after I washed the CON all out and rollerset my hair. So what will happen???

Jessica,
Based on what was said on the other threads, it doesn't *appear* as if it will do anything. From what they said, it appears as if the lye is used in the soap making process and that it *only* has to be listed since it was used. The actually lye shouldn't be present in the final product.
So, nothing should actually happen. No one's saying that your hair is going to fall out or anything of that nature. The other threads say that the sodium hydroxide is NOT an active ingredient.

Will I personally use CON anymore? Probably not. Why? I didn't use it that much to begin with because it builds up in my hair & I know you can make a quality shampoo without using sodium hydroxide in the process. I also either threw away or gave away all my shampoos that contained SLS or SLES once I realized that it could be drying to the hair and that was about 5 shampoos. I'm just like that.

But if you like CON, by all means, don't stop using it.

Here's two of the other threads: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat/0/Number/73458/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat/0/Number/24083/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/2#Post497342

Back