Pretreatment before relaxer

sonjab

Hello,
Newbie here. Where have I been?!!!! I am obsessed with this site! There is so much information, I am on this computer for hours. I don't know exactly what I am after except wanting healthy hair that I am in control of myself and not the salon. Although I'm trying to piece together a system for me to try, I need to have a relaxer right now and I was wondering if anyone here has some suggestions as to what I can begin with as a sort of pretreatment before my relaxer is put in?

Thanks for your help,
Sonja <font color="red"> </font>

Neroli

Welcome! I do a "hardcore" protein 3-5 days before touchups. I use either nexxus emergencee(excellent!)or aphogee (average). Always follow each with a deep moisturizing condition (humectress/cholesteral or something equally thick, creamy and moisturizing). This treatment imparts strength and helps hair withstand the chemicals.

Again, welcome!

UmSumayyah

Welcome to the board. Many members do a protein treatment before a relaxer, as neroli has suggested. It is a very good idea. Just make sure you do it 24 hours (at the very minimum) before your relaxer. I prefer 48 myself.

Spagirl

Hi Sonjab....Welcome to LHCF!

When I relax I put a chemical barrier (Affirm Protecto, some use conditioners or vasaline) on my previously relaxed hair. I guess that could be considered a form of pretreatment.

Tammy

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
Hi Sonjab....Welcome to LHCF!

When I relax I put a chemical barrier (Affirm Protecto, some use conditioners or vasaline) on my previously relaxed hair. I guess that could be considered a form of pretreatment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 2nd that. Don't be afraid to put some conditioner on your hair, especially those ends, when you go for your touchup.