Pressing: Naturals, How do you do it?

TigerLily

I just tried to press my hair today for the first time since the BC in May. I used Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Press. I was trying to check the length before I get tree braids on Wed. I put the creme press on wet and blow dried it and it got semi straight. I hot combed it and wet over it with a flat iron and it's still semi straight.

What did I do wrong?

Nay

Hey, Tigerlily:

It's hard to really know why a press doesn't come out as straight as you'd like. I never know for sure how my press is going to come out.

I usually wash/condition. Apply my hair creme to my hands and then to each section of hair (hair parted and braided into about 10-11 sections). Then the next day when my hair is all the way dry, I unbraid each section, divide that section into smaller sections and press. I usually have to make at least three passes with the hot comb to get it straight. I have the comb hot, but not smokin' hot! Then I twist that section and move on to the next section.

Hair is weird. Sometimes my hair will come out straight no matter how big of a section I press. Sometimes I can divide it up into teeny sections, and it still just comes out sorta poofy. I don't know what the sure-fire technique is either.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I only straighten my hair with a flat iron.
After I washed my hair I let my hair air dry in a bun or otherwise stretched out so it won't be too curly.
I take very small sections and go over them three times with the iron. For me, the secret has been to take smaller sections and also finding a flat iron that is somewhat hotter than the others I've used before.
I was surprised when I used it, because my hair never turned out stick straight just from flat ironing before.
It's trial and error.
Good luck!

mermaid

I only press when my hair is dry or mostly dry.
Lately, however, I have not even bothered with the flat iron (Jilbere 1/2 inch), because it just doesn't get get close enough to the root because of how it's constructed; the housing interferes with it gettine right to the root. I have just let my hair dry in a bun and then use my ceramic 1/2 barrel curling iron and use it to hit the roots then either lightly bump or fully style. I have been getting some seriously bouncy, shiney soft hair. I was trying to take a pic last night because I was so impressed with how it looked and with hope that LHCF would be back, but my flippin' digital camera is such a battery hog!! I was taking pics of my dancer shoes to list on Ebay, and that killed the batteries!! I'll try tomorrow so you can see.
Oh yeah, I used to use oils, cremes, greases and what not prior to pressing, but a lot of times it would be too heavy and the sizzle or even just the smell would worry me, so I don't use anything beyond what was already in my hair after washing (generally a cocktail of mango butter, proclain natural 7 and/or Profect ((or however it's spelled)) break free- the pink stuff, natural 7 oil and either Giovanni leave in or Pantene color revival rinse out con.). With that process, I get a lighter bouncier press and also, my irons don't get all burnt from product cooking on it.

mermaid

This just came to me; what kind of irons are ou using? I wouldn't use anythin overly hot, but with black hair, you generally have to use a hotter iron than the basic crome ones. I'm sure you arleady know that, but in case you don't, or for others that DON'T know, a hotter iron may give you a more desired effect- NOT TOO hot! I am still growiing out damage from letting my Marels heat up too much!!

TigerLily

I use FHI ionic ceramic 1 inch and Hot Tools electric pressing comb. Maybe I should've turned the pressing comb up higher.

In any case, I've taken pics, so I'll be posting my sorry little press in my fotki.
I only pressed to keep track of length since I get braids on Wed. so don't laugh!

Thanks ladies!

Anybody got anymore tips? I need all the help I can get!

Elleebeme5

Thanks for this thread. I was going to post a similar question today as I will be trying to press my hair myself for the first time next week.

Nay

I have a plug-in pressing comb (I can't think of the name). And I've NEVER been able to get my hair straight with that thing. I don't even use it anymore.

So for me, I have to use my old-fashioned pressing comb that you set on the oven. But I've been pressing my hair for over 20 years, so I know just how hot to let it get.

TigerLily

I do have an old fashioned hot comb. The electric one was just more convienient. I'll try that next time and see how it goes..

PrettyBrownEyes

Heat and pressure.

Maybe you need to use the hot comb at a higher heat setting and/or use more tension as you are running it down the length of your hair. Also, when using a hot comb the straightening is mostly done with the back of the comb not the teeth.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
As you are running the comb from roots to ends you want to have it at a sort of slant so that the teeth guide it through the hair while the back the smooth part rubs against the hair. Look at this: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/press.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I forgot to tell you about this. This is what I do when I flat iron, I turn the iron outwards so to speak so the hair will be a little stretched. This is key.

TigerLily

Now I want to try it again, but I don't want to damage my hair. I just pressed it yesterday. Do you think I will damage it if I go over it again since it didn't get straight?

zora

I wouldn't do it while it's still straight. You're still trying to learn the correct amount of heat and pressure with it freshly washed, so I would just stick with that and perfect it and THEN learn how to touch up your hair between presses.