Pressed Hair

NishBo

I have pressed hair, and I was just wondering if any ladies on this board have pressed hair? If so, what are you ladies doing to your hair to promote your hair growth?

inthepink

What does it mean to have "pressed hair?" I guess that term confuses me b/c isn't the press only temporary? So does that mean you're natural and you get your hair pressed regularly?

soulchild

Hairlove, yes I think that's what she means. Well, when I was pressed I really didn't see much growth, but I was clueless then.

Use a heat protector
You could do daily scalp massages.
Try and keep those ends moisturized - As moisturized it can be without reverting.
Ends trimmed (I'm talkin very very lightly trimmed)

Have you ever tried braid outs and airdrying as an alternative to pressing every week? I think it would be very beneficial. HTH

NishBo

You really right, yeah my hair is natural and I get my hair pressed once a week. The press can last as long as you want it to last. Some women get their hair pressed once every two weeks and the press can last, but I prefer to get it done once a week because my hair needs to be washed and I want my press to be in tip top shape. Also, to make it last even longer, I get my hair flat ironed after my beautician presses it first.

soulchild

Just remember heat contributes to breakage. I'm not trying to scare you, jus sayin. And I know what you mean, I know someone who's press lasts 1 month and she gets it done every month.

NishBo

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. For me personally, my hair is better to deal with than it is curly. I can't seem to find any products that would keep my curls to last and to keep it from drying up. I also make sure that I get my ends trimmed once every 6-8 weeks. I've been getting my hair pressed since I was little and due to me getting my hair done every week my hair isn't damaged at all. Since I've been going to my beautician for a year now, my hair is in the most healthiest state it's ever been. I also make sure that my hair is moisterizied as well.

inthepink

Pressing regularly seems like it would be an awful lot of heat so I would take care to keep the hair moisturized and maybe find some styles to give you a break from pressing periodically.

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
NishBo said:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. For me personally, my hair is better to deal with than it is curly. I can't seem to find any products that would keep my curls to last and to keep it from drying up. I also make sure that I get my ends trimmed once every 6-8 weeks. I've been getting my hair pressed since I was little and due to me getting my hair done every week my hair isn't damaged at all. Since I've been going to my beautician for a year now, my hair is in the most healthiest state it's ever been. I also make sure that my hair is moisterizied as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey- just a suggestion- but check out http://www.frizzoff.com/chc/hairgallery/

I've tried these products and they are awesome (leave-in conditioner and curl keeper). They define/keep the curls, reduce frizz and hair is moisturized!
Like I said, just a suggestion...sorry PJ's!

NishBo

You know what, thanks for the tip! It looks promising, I've used Design Wave and it was really greasy and it did nothing for my curls. Question, do any of the products you use leave your hair greasy?

soulchild

About that website..she went from

using a leave-in? I wonder why I never heard of these products before.

NishBo

Tell me about it. I have never heard of this website before either, until bahamamama suggested it. From what I have seen so far it sounds promising.

northernbelle

Hairlove, my mother pressed my hair from two years to twenty two years, on a weekly basis, and my hair was shoulder-length. My hair was never healthier.

One must be sure to use a warm comb, and to use the back edge of the comb, for optimal straightening.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
NishBo said:
I have pressed hair, and I was just wondering if any ladies on this board have pressed hair? If so, what are you ladies doing to your hair to promote your hair growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to do heat free styles on my hair. Braidouts work really well for me. I pay close attention to my ends and treat them with a dab of moisturizing conditioner. The amount of conditioner I use doesn't frizz my ends too much. They blend in with my braidout style.

The biggest thing I do to promote growth is to alternate between pressed and kinky/curly hair. My hair grows best when it's completely natural because there is no heat involved and I can moisturize the heck out of it.

caralexis2005

how well does you all's pressed hair hold up in humid or hot climates like workouts, clubs, or hot weather? How well does it hold up to reversion?

NishBo

In all honesty, my press can last a good two weeks. But I hate dirty hair and I get it done once a week, and the press can get ragady if I let it go on for more than a week. Especially the roots, because it starts to get wavy.

SVT

My press will get poofy in humid environments. I braid my hair into two pigtails when working out. If I know it's going to be humid outdoors and I'm going to be in it for an extended time, I won't even bother with pressing. I'll just wear it natural.

WaterMoccasin

Yup, I found it on my quest to find a product that would define my curls, reduce bulk/frizz etc. It was summer, and I was desperate for SOMETHING that would help-my hair was in an awful state and breaking off like crazy. So of course, being the PJ I am, I tried them (specifically the leave-in, and the curl keeper. well also a sample size shampoo they sent for free which is also great). And boy did they work! I'm out of them now, and I hope to buy some more soon.
I will post pics when I can (my own before/after)- you'll recognize the thread when I do, I'll put the product line in the title.