Pre Relaxer Question

yoleee

My 10 week stretch will be over on Sunday (Yay!) I have an appointment on Monday to get my relaxer.So tonight I washed with a clarifying shampoo, did The Aphogee 2 min reconstructor, Then Dc'd. I DC'd with Silicon mix and coconut oil. Is that bad? Will that stop the relaxer form taking? I relax bone straight. Should I wait one more week and clarify again and then relax?

sunnieb

Hey there newbie! Welcome!

I think the general rule of thumb is to shampoo 3 days prior to relaxing. You should be fine. Clarifying will remove buildup and that helps the relaxer "take".

I'm a bone-straight relaxer too! :yep:

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

danysedai

I also think you'll be fine. Your scalp will produce enough oils and you will have some buildup from today to Monday. Just try not to manipulate it much and do not disturb your scalp.

ReignLocks

Hey Ya'll :newbie: in the house! :welcome:
I burn REALLY easily so I cannot wash my hair the week that I plan to relax. It really depends on your scalp and what youv'e been use to in the past. Either way, don't do a ton of manipulating. I think that once you base your scalp and keep your hands, combs and brushes off your scalp, you'll be fine.

Good Luck!

yoleee

Thanks Ladies, I was worried that putting the coconut oil in my deep conditioner would stop the relaxer from working.... Maybe I am just looking for a reason to stretch for another week. This is the first week that I washed and had zero breakage(thanks to LHCF).:yep:

WaistLengthDreams

I agree with Sunnieb, at least three days and you should be fine. If you are likely to get burns on your scalp be sure that you or your hair dresser bases your scalp with grease/vasoline/oil thoroughly. I hope that helps you.

ChoColette

yoleee said:
My 10 week stretch will be over on Sunday (Yay!)

yoleee - Congratulations on your stretch! I need that inspiration!! I can't wait until my first relaxer since starting my HJ! I will also be at 10 weeks. Thanks for asking the questions. I have already set my appt. I will need to change my routine and DC on a Friday instead of my normal Sunday. I hear ORS Olive Oil is good. Maybe I will use that after a good protein DC. I hear Moroccan Oil has a good protein treatment just not sure which one it is. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

yoleee

I am a certified product junkie. I got two packages in the mail today and my husband mumbled under his breathe that we now have enough for a beauty salon. :blush: Anyway, I used a chelating shampoo to clarify(love the way it makes my hair feel), I read that you should do that before a relaxer. I don't know much about ORS products but they are highly recommended on here. At first I was kinda shy about asking questions, but I always tell my children the only stupid question is the one not asked.

yoleee

Ok Ladies, One more question. I am going to the salon armed with own products, I was wondering what should I bring? I have the Aphogee 2 min and the Motions CPR which one will be better for the protein ? Also I have a sample of the ORS hair repair Nourishing conditioner, do you guys think that would be a good after relaxer Dc?Maybe the Joico moisture recovery balm would be better? Sorry I am asking so many questions. I wish I had the courage to self relax. I hope I dont overwhelm my stylist.

Last edited:

sunnieb

yoleee - Looks like you have a good plan! :yep:

The product selection really depends on what you have found that's best for your hair. Personally, I prefer Motions CPR because my hair responds favorably with it.

Have you used any of the products listed?

Here's what I would take to a salon:

2 tubs of Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp relaxer (they usually use 1 tub at the salon, my hair needs two)

Motions CPR (for mid relaxer step)

Motions Neutralizing Shampoo

Suave Clarifying Shampoo

Nexxus Therappe Shampoo

Nexxus Humectress Conditioner (for dc)

1 plastic cap (how often do you think they clean those things at the salon???)

I'd let my stylist use her own leave-ins and ask her to only use a wide toothed comb.

If she's receptive to your requests and your hair turns out well (which it will), be sure to give her a good tip!

yoleee

I haven't used the CPR(it just came in the mail yesterday). I also havent used the ORS. Thank god my salon uses plastic caps. My stylist isn't that great, but she can do basic things. She does take direction fairly well and she is always ready to learn new things. The only problem will be her understanding what I am saying. Her English is ok, my Japanese is not as good as her English. We communicate in a combination of both.:lol: I am sure it will be ok, I will post pics after.