Pre/Post Relaxer Regimen

Xavier

Hey Ladies, after 9 weeks I have decided to get a relaxer. Since I am still new to LCHF I just wanted to know what are some of your pre relaxer regimens.

Is it necessary to do a heavy protein treatment before?Should I do a Restructorer after the relaxer and how soon? How soon do you base your scalp and with what? Any information you can provide will be helpful.

Based on what I've read here, this is what I plan to do when I relax in a couple of weeks:

1. One week prior - reconstructor treatment with Nexxus Emergencee (this will be 2 weeks after my last Emergencee treatment, so the timing is perfect)
2. Base scalp and hairline with vaseline just prior to relaxing - overnight basing makes me nervous; I feel like the base would saturate the new growth and impede relaxing. Just my opinion.
3. Apply a mixture of Roux Porosity Control Conditioner & Corrector and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol conditioner to previously relaxed hair.
4. Relax with Silk Elements Mild lye relaxer.
5. Rinse out relaxer.
6. Apply mixture of Roux Porosity Control and Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Treatment to hair for 10 minutes, rinse.
7. Neutralize with Silk Elements Neutralizing Shampoo.
8. Deep condition with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, rinse.
9. Air dry and style.

I hope this gives me good results!

Thanks for your response perciousjewel76. I see that the thread is being viewed but no one wants to response:confused: .

new to the hairboards sort of. here's what i do and it works for me. My hair has made a huge turn for the better.

1. week prior aphogee treatment for damaged hair
  2. prebase day before (scalp)
  3. put cholesterol (le kair conditioner) on hair already relaxed
  4. touch up with silk elements (i relax in halves)
  5. wash relaxer out with plain water 2 times
  6. add aphogee keritin reconstructor for 5 minutes or so
  7. rinse and shampoo with neutrilizer a zillion times
  8. shampoo once with regular poo
  9. deep condition for 1/2 hour
  10. rinse
  11. add leave ins
  12. i air dry in a ponytail
My hair is progress so well. HTH

G

i use aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor for after rinsing my relaxer out, i leave it on for 5 minutes then i neutralize

i use nexxus emergence about 3-4 days after relaxing

Thanks Sweetg! I was debating whether to include the Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor after rinsing out the relaxer. I think I might do that instead of the Porosity Control; I could just mix the Aphogee in with the conditioner......hmmmm

Sweetg said:
new to the hairboards sort of. here's what i do and it works for me. My hair has made a huge turn for the better.

1. week prior aphogee treatment for damaged hair
  2. prebase day before (scalp)
  3. put cholesterol (le kair conditioner) on hair already relaxed
  4. touch up with silk elements (i relax in halves)
  5. wash relaxer out with plain water 2 times
  6. add aphogee keritin reconstructor for 5 minutes or so
  7. rinse and shampoo with neutrilizer a zillion times
  8. shampoo once with regular poo
  9. deep condition for 1/2 hour
  10. rinse
  11. add leave ins
  12. i air dry in a ponytail
My hair is progress so well. HTH

G

I currently stretch for 9 weeks.

Two weeks before my relaxer: I do a protien treatment; I prefer milder ones because it makes my newgrowth easier to manage. Aphogee 2 min reconstructor or duo tex for half the time.

The the last wash before my relaxer: Deep moisturizing treatment with a small squirt of protein treatment

The last 2-3 days before my relaxer: I start greasing my scalp with coconut oil or some other grease. I really focus on my quick to burn and slow growing spots

The first wash after I relax: I do a full conditioning session; mild protein treatment preferably a polymetric reconstructor for 15-20 mins followed by a moisturizing conditioner for 30-45mins

The second and third washes after I relax: preshampoo treatment with oils because my scalp tends to a bit tight after I relax for the first week or two, moisturizing conditioning for 30mins after each wash

I usually only do heavy duty protein in the middle of my stretch. I am experimenting with weekly mild protien so I might not do it this time but we will see.

I didn't have scalp tightness this time because I had a great stylist to relax me but I did the oil treatments anyway.

I usually pre-poo my hair with nexxus keraphix once a week. But I used to put aphogee protein (the hard stuff) after I put the relaxer in every 8-9 weeks with good results as well.

I did not do a protein treatment before my relaxer(it's scheduled for tomorrow)but I will definitely do an aphogee treatment about a week or two after my relaxer; since I noticed tiny hairs on my hand as I was greasing my scalp last night. Not a lot of hair but just enough to make me a little worried. Thanks for the great suggestions!;)

simone103 said:
I usually pre-poo my hair with nexxus keraphix once a week. But I used to put aphogee protein (the hard stuff) after I put the relaxer in every 8-9 weeks with good results as well.

I love your hair! it's gorgeous

-A week before, I like to do a light protein like Aphogee 2-minute or Ion Reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing DC.
-No manipulation the week before. I just keep it in a bun and only take it down to moisturize, oil scalp (coconut oil or some other natural oil) nightly.
-The day of, I base my scalp with Vaseline and also put vaseline on my ends (I coud probably be using something better than vaseline :ohwell:)
-apply relaxer
-rinse reallllllllllly reallllllllly well :yep:
-apply a light protein conditioner (Aphogee 2 Minute or Ion Reconstructor), leave on (no heat) for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse.
-1st neutralizing shampoo: apply generously and let sit for 5 minutes
-2nd neutralizing shampoo: apply generously and let sit for 5 minutes (gotta give it time to work its magic instead of applying and rinsing a gazillion times)
-3rd neutralizing shampoo (just for peace of mind) :) (If its color coded, suds should be white by now, if not, try a 4th time)
-apply moisturizing DC and leave on 20-30 minutes (no heat). Rinse.
-Rollerset

A week later (1st washing after relaxer), I use a light protein conditioner, then a moisturizing DC.

I haven't tried a strong protein treatment yet, although I'd love to. For now I stick to light/medium proteins. :yep:

-A week before, I like to do a light protein like Aphogee 2-minute or Ion Reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing DC.
-No manipulation the week before. I just keep it in a bun and only take it down to moisturize, oil scalp (coconut oil or some other natural oil) nightly.
-The day of, I base my scalp with Vaseline and also put vaseline on my ends (I coud probably be using something better than vaseline :ohwell:)
-apply relaxer
-rinse reallllllllllly reallllllllly well :yep:
-apply a light protein conditioner (Aphogee 2 Minute or Ion Reconstructor), leave on (no heat) for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse.
-1st neutralizing shampoo: apply generously and let sit for 5 minutes
-2nd neutralizing shampoo: apply generously and let sit for 5 minutes (gotta give it time to work its magic instead of applying and rinsing a gazillion times)
-3rd neutralizing shampoo (just for peace of mind) :) (If its color coded, suds should be white by now, if not, try a 4th time)
-apply moisturizing DC and leave on 20-30 minutes (no heat). Rinse.
-Rollerset

A week later (1st washing after relaxer), I use a light protein conditioner, then a moisturizing DC.

I haven't tried a strong protein treatment yet, although I'd love to. For now I stick to light/medium proteins. :yep:

OT: I always thought that Aphogee 2 Minute was supposed to be a heavy protein. If that's light, what's an example of a heavy protein?

The week before my relaxer I always do a Aphogee 2 step protein treatment

I base Myself the night before as well as the next day (ampro pink creme base or beauticians optimum base)
I relax with motions and have it put in professionally in a salon ( I have found my relaxer godess) LOVE HER!
rinse very well
apply motions moisture plus for 15 minutes
rinse well
shampoo with motions neutralizing shampoo 2 times and let sit for a few minutes then
rinse well
apply hair color - usually jazzing for how ever long I don't know
rinse well
apply Motions silk protein for - 15 minutes
rinse
Style!

and best of all NO breakage!

Last edited:
Pre-relaxer:

1. Reconstruct hair with Joico K-pak 3 days before relaxer
2. Night before relaxer detangle with mane & tail, oil scalp with castor oil and apply chi silk infusion or Joico Restorative styling oil to the length of my hair and bun loosely.
3. Morning of relaxer, apply more chi silk infusion or Joico Restorative styling oil to length.
4. My stylist relaxes my hair with Mizani Butter Blends and she uses the system starting with:
* Using the Butter Base on my scalp
* Honey Sheild on my length

Post Relaxer

1. I normally wash & reconstruct my hair 10 days after my touch-up.

3 to 7 days before my relaxer:
1. Clarifying Shampoo - Vo5 Tea Therapy
2. Protein Treatment - Aphogee Reconstructor (either 2 minute or 2 step, depending on how long I have stretched).
3. Moisturizing DC - NTM Deep Recovery Mask
4. Make sure not to apply any product to my NG after washing out DC.

The Night before:
1. Base my scalp with Grease - Summit pre creme

Within 7 days after:
1. Chelating shampoo (because I relax with No-Lye) - Mizani Chelating and Normalizing Poo

Last edited:
Week before- light protein
Right before- base scalp with my tried and true $1 Soft sheen
Mizani mild lye applied and rinsed out in sections
Motions moisture plus conditioner to neutralize, and leave on for 15 (?) minutes
Neutralizing shampoo 3 lathers
Clairol Beautiful Collections rinse
Keracare or Nexxus conditioner
One week later, light protein

A week before my relaxer I do a protein treatment using the Traycee method= 1 egg, some V05 Moisture Milks and EVOO.

Relax my hair with Mizani Rhelaxer

3 days later wash my hair with Nexxus Botanial (sp)Shampoo
Condition with Moistion Silk Protein

3-4 days later DC with Lustrasilk Sheabutter w/mango Cholesterol

The following week, back to my original regimen, works well for me.

Week Before - DC with Emergencee or Aphogee 2 step
Night before - Base hair with grease
Day of - Base again with Motions, Global Goddess...using Kenra Silk Protein conditioner on my ends

Relax with Mizani BB mixed with Keratin Amino Acids, Silk Amino Acids and Keratin Protein
Follow up with Nexxus Humectress
Neutralize 2-3 times
Apply Neutral Protein Filler
Semi-Permanent Color
Loreal Mega Moisture
Rollerset

Post (about 2-3 days after relaxing) - will wash with a moisturizing shampoo and follow up with a moisturizing condish

Back