Pre Poo'ing vs Deep Con. vs Co-washing?

Which of these 3 do you get Optimal Results?

• Pre 'pooing

Votes: 94 12.3%
  • Deep Conditioning

Votes: 417 54.7%
  • Co-Washing

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 120 15.7%

• Total voters

Stacy TheLady

i have never pre poo-ed, but i would like to try it this weekend. DC works best for me. i add some EVOO and EVCO in my conditioner and my hair loves me.

Hysi

When I clarify, I don't pre-poo only because when you clarify you are looking for that deep down clean. So IMO I think it may be a waste of product.

just had to say mocha- ur hair is crazy beautiful!:drunk:

i say DC. i've recently began co-wash 6 days a week since bcing and it feels really good, but i ahve to say the dc. i;ve always done it and had excellent results.:yep:

FijiFlower

I consistently deep condition and do it on a weekly basis. I am new to co-washing, but have found that my hair is much more moisturized, I am a little concerned with build-up, but think I am going to combat that by varying my conditioners and using pure baking soda(no poo though) to clean my scalp, i used to do that when i had locs and got the itchies and it worked wonders!!!!!

Missigirl

I pre-poo and deep condition every week. Not really a big fan of co-washing. I voted deep conditioning because I think it does the most for my hair.

grow

i love to dc overnight!

that one i do at least twice a week and on dry hair.

the cowashing i've been doing almost daily and it gives great results!

sadly, i can't say the same thing about the pre pooing.
i did it for almost 3 months expecting "who knows what", but saw no change in my hair.
so instead of using that oil to pre poo, i do oil rinses, which have changed the managability of my hair from the first rinse.

cowashing and dc'ing have also given me immediate results!

NIN4eva

I do all 3. But...

If I prepoo on dry hair I have to wash with shampoo to avoid build-up because of the honey. So I only do it once per week. Then I DC. I co-wash 2-3 times per week. Depending on my work out schedule.

IWantCurlyHair

Im not sure bc I do all 3 on wash day. Im think im just obsessed with putting product in my hair so I pretty much do all 3 just for the fun of it.

BillionaireHopes

Honestly co-washing. Before co-washing I was just deep conditioning my hair and it did nothing for my hair but once i started doing co-washing it made a big difference in my hair.

Emz Forever

I voted for prepooing. My interpretation of optimal results was losing little to no hair during the wash cycle and having silkier, more conditioned hair after the wash. I find when I prepoo, I get those results as opposed to when i don't. Even when I cowash, I do it like a prepoo, ie I add the conditioner to my dry hair, let it sit a while under a shower cap, and then rinse it out, reapply and then rinse. If I am prepooing before a shampoo, I do either a hot oil treatment or crappy condish mixed with oils. For a cowash, I will use a better quality condish alone.

bimtheduck

I tried prepooing during my stretch and my hair HATED IT. I'm gonna try it again now that I'm freshly relaxed. DCing gives me the best results though!

LovelyNaps26

pre-pooing makes my detangling process in the shower a breeze. after protective styling and moisturizing it has contributed to the turn around in my hair progress over the past 8 months.

NIN4eva

I do all 3 regularly depending on my daily schedule. If I absolutely had to get rid on one it would be co-washing. I may have to when my classes start.

AlliCat

I do all 3:

prepooing doesn't do much. but I like the way it prevents my hair from being stripped
deep conditioning gives me the most benefit
co-washing is my second love next to dcing. it makes my hair soft and moisturized when I'm in a rushand don't have time to do a full DC

Vashti

I used to co-wash 2 to 3 times a week but my schedule doesn't allow it now so I only co-wash once a week. However Deep Conditioning with both moisture and protein has helped keep my hair stronger and moisturized longer and has stopped breakage for me. I haven't tried pre-pooing yet.

JollyGal

I pre poo with amla powder mixed with water or oil (depends on how my hair feels)

I don't co-wash. I did try it but it's really hard to find an inexpensive 100% natural condish and my hair did not like aussie moist as a co-wash.

I used to DC with ORS mayo but I am looking to start DCing with my own homemade natural condish protein based or moisture

Kindheart

DC is more effective if you want to give deep moisture to your hair as it often contains a concotion of oils,water and proteins .Pree po s with coconut/grapeseed oil really work in making my hair shinier and feel more pliable,I pour a generous amount of hot oil on my head massage it in and leave it on my head for about an hour under a shower cap .Rinse and shampoo and apply conditioner for about 3/4 mins and rinse .Works great !

thehairmaverick

When I pre-poo overnight, I never NEED to DC...I just do it anyway. The oil makes my hair so soft and smooth, and detangling is a breeze! I could just use me pantene frizzy to smooth condish and be fine :grin:

iri9109

i must pre-poo before i wash w/ a sulfate free poo or castile soap...before i didnt used to, and i def notice a difference...but the most important to me is cowashing (usually 2-3x a week) & DCing weekly

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
This is a toughie...I've done all three. Right now DC seems to be most effective because I started using a steamer. Pre-poo seemed just to be messy and with the least amount of end results.

Co-washing is awesome because it allows me the flexibility of having clean hair daily if necessary. I have to cut back on this now that I have started steaming.

Naturae

This thread is still open!? I started this thread under my old name sunshyne_krissy back in 2006....

When I just re-read my co-wash concoction that was posted in the OP I'm thinking...why was I doing all that?!

Co-wash reggie NOW is Mega Tek followed by Suave Almond/Shea Butter every 3 days.

I have come a long way. No longer doing braid extensions!

thecurlycamshow

Pre-poo is my vote since my hair is so manageable and soft. Co-washing is great for my hair too, but I don't practice DC'ing outside of my conditioner.

Sesi

Pre-pooing with coconut oil the night before a wash has done wonders for me. The way ?I see it, it serves as a deep-condition too, I guess I and kinda like an oil rinse too). It moisturizes my hair from inside and also prevents too much water from getting in, preserving elasticity and health of my hair. that way my hair is stronger, doesn't shed as much, and looks healthier. win-win situation if you ask me.

Janet'

I haven't voted yet...they are all really important to me...

1. I don't use shampoo, so all of my washes are CWs

2. Because of the color, I must DC

3. The pre-poo gives me that extra moisture that I need as well...

Decisions, decisions...

somewhereinbtwn

I pre poo and dc but I would say that prepooing is more beneficial for my hair. I pre poo with coconut oil and it just melts the tangles away, and helps with dryness.

keepithealthy

I vote for dc'ing. Especially int he winter because I don't co-wash. As long as I dc and use a good leave in my hair can stay moisturized for days.

Pre-pooing did not really make a difference in my hair. It worked really great on my nieces 4b transitioning hair.

co-washing is great for the summer but does not leave my hair moisturized enough for me to skip dc'ing.