Post your homemade DCs, need some ideas

Mum2L

I was reading all the posts about the Caramel Treatments and got to thinking... does anyone make their own homemade deep conditioners? I was wondering if any of y'all could post your recipes to give me some ideas.

I also have a question, is Shea butter good for only natural hair? I have relaxed hair and wanted to use but wasn't sure. Is it a good product. I saw some on Vitacost for about $18, is that a good price? (I was going to purchase some but then thought I'd ask about it. I don't want anymore hair products sitting in my cabinet that I don't use. :nono: Actually, I'm not that bad but you know what I mean). :spinning:

adw425

My most recent DC is coconut milk-based to which I have added full fat Greek yogurt, cream of coconut, (food grade) aloe vera gel, molasses powder, honey, egg powder, marshmallow root powder and just a touch of coconut oil or EVOO. The marshmallow will thicken the mixture well, but if I want it extra thick, I add guar gum. Irish moss is also a great hair strengthener, concoction thickener and hair softener. I will add IM when I have it and eliminate the guar gum. If the mixture needs thinning, I will add some aloe vera juice or rose water.

Mum2L

My most recent DC is coconut milk-based to which I have added full fat Greek yogurt, cream of coconut, (food grade) aloe vera gel, molasses powder, honey, egg powder, marshmallow root powder and just a touch of coconut oil or EVOO. The marshmallow will thicken the mixture well, but if I want it extra thick, I add guar gum. Irish moss is also a great hair strengthener, concoction thickener and hair softener. I will add IM when I have it and eliminate the guar gum. If the mixture needs thinning, I will add some aloe vera juice or rose water.

I've never heard of molasses powder. Where can you purchase this? I take it that it's less sticky than the molasses syrup. Sounds like a good concoction.

SweetSpirit86

I was reading all the posts about the Caramel Treatments and got to thinking... does anyone make their own homemade deep conditioners? I was wondering if any of y'all could post your recipes to give me some ideas.

I also have a question, is Shea butter good for only natural hair? I have relaxed hair and wanted to use but wasn't sure. Is it a good product. I saw some on Vitacost for about $18, is that a good price? (I was going to purchase some but then thought I'd ask about it. I don't want anymore hair products sitting in my cabinet that I don't use. :nono: Actually, I'm not that bad but you know what I mean). :spinning:

Shea butter worked better on my relaxed hair than it does my natural. It depends on the person's individual hair, imo. :) I'm not sure about that price...I talked to my dad since he's such a health nut and he sent me some, lol.

remilaku

I call this the Fruit Smoothie: take 5-10 juices of any fruit you want, add in full fat milk, honey, and oil mix together and put on your hair leave on for 30 - 60 min. then rinse out. You will have the softest hair you have ever had!! For more info. go to http://www.youtube.com/remilaku

Pandora1975

I don't see why it won't work on your relaxed hair- I used som on my mom's and her hair loved it. You didn't say how much shea you were getting for the $18, and if its unrefined and organic. If its less than a pound and a half- then yes, you are paying way too much. Check out http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/butter/butter.html. To use (if unrefined), you may want to mix it with an oil because on its own, its THICK. I'm natural and its too thick for my rough mane.I mix with mango butter, coconut, olive, and castor oils. I use it to seal on wash day when I'm twisting my hair. Love it!

Mum2L

I don't see why it won't work on your relaxed hair- I used som on my mom's and her hair loved it. You didn't say how much shea you were getting for the $18, and if its unrefined and organic. If its less than a pound and a half- then yes, you are paying way too much. Check out http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/butter/butter.html. To use (if unrefined), you may want to mix it with an oil because on its own, its THICK. I'm natural and its too thick for my rough mane.I mix with mango butter, coconut, olive, and castor oils. I use it to seal on wash day when I'm twisting my hair. Love it!

Here's the tub I was thinking of purchasing.
http://www.vitacost.com/SunFood-Nutrition-Shea-Butter

Just just looked at the prices on the website you gave me, it's definitely cheaper than the one I looked at.

Last edited:

Princess Tam Tam

Egglicious DC

1 egg

3 tbsp Red Bush Tea

Ripe Banana(blend)

2 tbsp Black strap molasses

1 tablespoon Sweet Almond oil

1 tablespoon Coconut oil

Milk-n- Honey DC

1/2 Cup of Coconut Milk

2 tablespoons of Coconut oil

2 tablespoons of Honey

Tiramesu DC

3 tablespoon of strong freshly brewed coffee

2 tbsp yogurt

1 tbsp Haitian rum

1 tbsp Avocado oil

chebaby

the only deep conditioner i have made was:
coconut milk
olive oil
avocado oil
honey

i loved it. i changed the oils to whatever i have in the house at the time.

i really want to make a banana conditioner but im afraid it will leave little bits in my hair.

vkb247

I love sour cream with a little conditioner added
Honey, yogurt (full fat), and bananas (baby food)
Caramel Treatment

Nouvelle

Egglicious DC

1 egg

3 tbsp Red Bush Tea

Ripe Banana(blend)

2 tbsp Black strap molasses

1 tablespoon Sweet Almond oil

1 tablespoon Coconut oil

Milk-n- Honey DC

1/2 Cup of Coconut Milk

2 tablespoons of Coconut oil

2 tablespoons of Honey

Tiramesu DC

3 tablespoon of strong freshly brewed coffee

2 tbsp yogurt

1 tbsp Haitian rum

1 tbsp Avocado oil

That Milk and Honey DC looks really good:). I'm going to have to try this.

adw425

I got my molasses and egg powders from http://www.barryfarm.com/. I love them both as adding the powder to a concoction is easier for me. Sometimes I just did want to bother with dealing with the runniness of the egg or the stickiness of the molasses. Also, I find that when I add shea butter to my concoction, it works better than oils. For some reason although the shea butter is heavier it seems to not only leave my hair super soft, but it rinses out better (cleaner) than the oils, if that makes any sense at all.

I've never heard of molasses powder. Where can you purchase this? I take it that it's less sticky than the molasses syrup. Sounds like a good concoction.

adw425

I keep in a 20 ounce cholesterol jar and I just add ingredients until it is near the top, but the major ingredient is about 10 ounces of coconut milk and about two heaping tablespoons of yogurt, two teaspoons of egg powder, one teaspoon of marshmallow root powder. I don't measure anything else, but I only use a touch of both the honey and coconut oil and at least a heaping teaspoon of molasses powder.

adw425- how much of each product do you use for this homemade dc?

lilsparkle825

raw honey and grapeseed oil are great in any DC...i always use kenra mc or gvp conditioning balm as a base...but i would like to try sour cream, greek yogurt or coconut milk.

poookie

i did a mayo, guacamole, & honey mask last week, under the dryer with heat. my hair came out really soft & strong, & shinier than usual.

CurlyGirl1996

I keep in a 20 ounce cholesterol jar and I just add ingredients until it is near the top, but the major ingredient is about 10 ounces of coconut milk and about two heaping tablespoons of yogurt, two teaspoons of egg powder, one teaspoon of marshmallow root powder. I don't measure anything else, but I only use a touch of both the honey and coconut oil and at least a heaping teaspoon of molasses powder.

Thank you!

spencd

i just brought a fresh avocado which will blending with honey, grapeseed oil, and/or coco or olive oil. I will use this a pre poo. Has anyone tried these natural conditioners on relaxed hair? It seems like most are natural.

I will post my results when finished everything.

Ronnieaj

the only deep conditioner i have made was:
coconut milk
olive oil
avocado oil
honey

i loved it. i changed the oils to whatever i have in the house at the time.

i really want to make a banana conditioner but im afraid it will leave little bits in my hair.

Use baby food instead. Works just as well, but is already blended. No sticky bits remain :yep:.

spencd

ok i tried everything (except olive oil) with a drizzle of lemon juice to perserve color, thinking i would have some extra. I just put it in my hair and so far it does not feel soft, only two sections. Perhaps I should have mixed it with conditioner. I will check it in a few in if no difference, I will add some old cond. Any other suggestions? Again, has any one tried home concoctions on relaxed hair.

I know there are a lot of mad scientists on this forum.

TIA

Last edited:

spencd

It did not absorb in my hair meaning I think it just sat on top of my hair. I think I will try this again with olive oil instead of coconut oil. I don't think my hair likes coco oil. I did when I first got it but I don't know what I did differently. I'm assuming some sort of moisturizing first.

Anyway, I shampoo with theraphee and humectress and my roots was so hard. Once my hair was dried I had a lot of breakage. I need help with remedies for softening roots.