Homemade vs. High end Products

blasianbeauty

Which do you prefer? I currently use high end/salon brands as of now but have been thinking of switching to homemade products like Hairveda or Shescentit. :scratchch I love the way my hair feels after I use my Redken, Aveda and Alterna products. Will the homemade stuff make my hair feel just as good?

Leeda.the.Paladin

I prefer the homemade stuff because the salon stuff is usually chocked full of cones and cones make my hair feel like crap.

The homemade stuff makes my hair look and feel great, has way better ingredients, and it's usually cheaper too. Another side plus is that I usually am supporting a smaller business than bigger corporations.

trj1922

I like the homemade/small entrepreneur stuff. I use Qhemet Biologics, Hair Veda, Grow Aut and Products of the Earth (an all-natural company based in my hometown of Chicago). I also use Ayrvedic powders and oils from India. I prefer natural ingredients plus my hair has so many health issues that I need products to address those rather than getting a certain look. Also, there is the need to support (good) minority and independent businesses.

I found that when I was straightening my hair regularly, I used salon brands and they worked well for getting the look. For health and feel, especially now that I am natural, it's the homemade stuff all the way! Matrix, Redken, and Nexxus won't be seeing my business for their overpriced petrolatum and 'cones.

shelli4018

I used to prefer high end products during my PJ days. But since I started experimenting with natural homemade products my hair is thriving. I've never been able to duplicate the moisture level I have now with store bought products. And that's key for growth. I've retained more length this year than ever before. So I'm sticking with what works.

blasianbeauty

I prefer the homemade stuff because the salon stuff is usually chocked full of cones and cones make my hair feel like crap.

The homemade stuff makes my hair look and feel great, has way better ingredients, and it's usually cheaper too. Another side plus is that I usually am supporting a smaller business than bigger corporations.
Can you share which homemade products you use that's so great? Thanks.

HoneyDew

I like both.

For me the smaller "kitchen-made" lines have been great for moisturising, oil and scalp treatment products.

The higher end products hook me up with the protein treatments, cleansing, and chelating that I need.

I use an even balance.

blasianbeauty

I used to prefer high end products during my PJ days. But since I started experimenting with natural homemade products my hair is thriving. I've never been able to duplicate the moisture level I have now with store bought products. And that's key for growth. I've retained more length this year than ever before. So I'm sticking with what works.
Please do tell which homemade products you're using? :)

ajacks

Since my hair hates cones, I prefer homemade and/or organic products. My staples are currently from SheScentIt, HairVeda and Aubrey Organics.

crumbling_images

I THINK A COMBINATION OF BOTH IS NEEDED TO MAINTAIN MY HAIR. I LIKE HIGH END PRODUCTS LIKE MATRIX BIOLAGE AND CHEAP, INEXPENSIVE NATURAL PRODUCTS LIKE CASTOR OIL AND SHEA BUTTER. IT'S ALL ABOUT FINDING THE RIGHT COMBO OF PRODUCT THAT WORKS WELL FOR YOUR HAIR. FORGET THE LABELS...USE WHAT WORKS.

trj1922

This is my current arsenal...

Wash: Godrej Bhringraj and Amla Shampoo Bar OR
Hesh powders including Shikakai, Branmi, Amla & Neem (Maybe with Godrej Nupur for extra conditioning)

DC: HairVeda Sitrinillah

Protein: HairVeda Methi Sativa Tea

Oils: Vatika or Ramtirth, or Grow Aut Bhringraj hair oil

Detangling: Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

Dressings: Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream or Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. Products of the Earth Hair Revitalizer (pomade, not the spray)

Only thing store-bought is Mega-Tek, but it's for horses so it doesn't count! You can be natural/green and still be a PJ as you can tell. LOL

Shay72

Natural, 4A
My hair responds to natural/natural based/homemade/organic products. Carol's Daughter stuff used to work until she changed the formulations. My staples include nearly the entire Hairveda line, acv, coconut oil, and Giovanni leave in. My others are CON (green) and Mizani for Chelating.

gloomgeisha

I prefer homemade products all the way. As other posters have stated, many of the high end products are really no better than their cheaper counterparts. I deplore the idea of spending $$$ on something that's silicone and water in a bottle with a pretty name and a high-end name.

Now I use all Ayurvedic or natural products I make myself and my hair is thriving.

spacetygrss

I like both.

For me the smaller "kitchen-made" lines have been great for moisturising, oil and scalp treatment products.

The higher end products hook me up with the protein treatments, cleansing, and chelating that I need.

I use an even balance.

I agree. Although, I have to say that I haven't tried a single homemade product that had moisture that lasted as long as my Joico Moisture Recovery. Period. It just doesn't matter too much since I cowash daily.

jnicole

I'm in love with products from shescentit and am dying to try the hydratherma naturals line. My hair is loving homemade products.