POLL: What do you put in your hair after shampooing?

Can you use a daily moisturizer as a leave-in conditioner after a shampoo?

• Yes

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

POLL: What do you put in your hair after deep conditioning?

After deep conditioning, do you put a leave-in conditioner in your hair, or do you use your daily moisturizer (ie--Qhemet, Jane Carter Nourish and Shine, or NTM)?

Do you think that you could use your daily moisturizer as a leave-in conditioner?

Last edited:

faithVA

I assume you mean after conditioning?

I have started using a water based leave-in and then a creamy moisturizer. For me it helps my hair maintain the most moisture and to stay soft.

You can use a daily moisturizer without a leave-in but you will have to try it out on your hair. Your hair will let you know whether it will work for you on a long term basis.

Also you may change up your product application based on what style you are going to wear. You may apply 1 set of products for a WNG, something different for twists you plan to wear and something different for a twist out.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
After washing and conditioning my hair I either use a leave-in or moisturizer and oil to seal. I never skip this part because I detangle my hair out of the shower so I have to have something in my hair to help with that process and seal in all the goodies from my wash. HTH.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Nothing. I just air dry and KIM

If I am just using my Keracare detangling conditioning shampoo I apply my leave in/daily moisturizer right after towel drying.

OR

I just apply avocado oil

I never quite understood applying leave-ins after just conditioning. IMO I feel the conditioner should be able to stand alone.

Last edited:

Caramela

A little cheapie condish to the ends of my hair and then some evoo to thru my length. That's it!

Sent from my SCH-I400 using SCH-I400

Your Cheeziness

Foam wrap if I'm wrapping and styling or a heat protecant when heat styling. I've found a leave in isn't necessary for me unless I'm air drying.

blackpearl81

After D'cing I use Rusk Smoother leave-in, then apply NTM leave-in as a nightly moisturizer until the next wash. I think its fine to use a daily moisturizer as a leave-in, it just depends on if it gets the job done when it comes to detangling, etc...

kaytorry

After conditioning, I apply leave in conditioner, a quarter size amount of moisturizer. I don't seal right away because I'm unsure if the oil is penetrating properly on my wet hair.

fletgee

After D'cing I comb detangler (DVP) thru my hair and do a cold water rinse out.

Then Lacio-Lacio and RON Elastic and Tea.

I then coat each braid I put in my hair with CFC (Gold) and seal with emu oil.

Plastic cap. Scarf. Goodnight.

chikachic817

Since I airdry/use a hooded dryer, I apply SE Megasilk Leave In after hair is about 25% dry. Then I use about a nickel sized about of GVP Paul Mitchell Relaxing Balm and airdry the rest of the way in 4 bantu knots.

Nonie

Re: POLL: What do you put in your hair after deep conditioning?

I'm currently in twists but after my ACV rinse, I usually put nothing on. :look:

Do you think that you could use your daily moisturizer as a leave-in conditioner?

I have never considered them to be different. Whatever leave-in I use, it must be something that improves the condition of my hair and is therefore a leave-in conditioner. S Curl is my poison of choice when wearing my hair out. And while it's on my hair daily, I don't apply it daily. Wash-day's application lasts until the next wash-day because I baggy nightly. So yes, S Curl would be my moisturizer and leave-in conditioner.

Why do you differentiate the two? To me a conditioner is a moisturizing (or strengthening) product. A leave-in one does the same thing a wash-out one would, only you leave it on.

darlingdiva

My hair is already moist and detangled after I condition it, so I just apply my styling product and start twisting.

I only use the leave-in if I'm detangling and retwisting dry hair.

iri9109

after i rinse out my DC i apply coconut oil and then sometimes spritz it with AVJ, then apply either a leave-in/moisturizer (they are one in the same to me, to be honest) or regular condish and then sometimes a styler/gel...sometimes i seal with castor/olive/argan oil depending on mood or future hair plans.

Zaz

I'm not entirely certain what the difference is between the two, I use the two words interchangeably since my leave in moisturises and my moisturiser is something I'd leave in my hair post wash.

Are some people using a leave in and a moisturiser? If so, why do you do that?

Normally, I use Herbal Essence's Long-Term Relationship Split End Protector (or something like that). But, on occasion, I've used my moisturizer instead, which is Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew.

Hence, happy hair occurred either way.

Bublin

I spray my AVJ/water mix followed by very small amount of Giovanni Direct. Let my hair airdry for a bit and then when i'm braiding for my braid-out i apply Cantu leave-in to each section and seal with Coconut Oil.
My hair is moisturised for days.

vtoodler

I'm not entirely certain what the difference is between the two, I use the two words interchangeably since my leave in moisturises and my moisturiser is something I'd leave in my hair post wash.

Many people use a seperate leave-in conditioner (which is usually clear and watery) after they have shampooed and deep-conditioned their hair. They use it to detangle their before they roller set or wrap it.

A moisturizer is the daily moisturizer that you put on your hair. Most people seal their daily moisturizers with coconut oil, castor oil and jojoba oil. Some moisturizers are thick and greasy (like Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine). Others are watery (like Hawaiian 14 spray). Others are neither greasy nor watery (like ORS olive oil lotion).

I think that's the difference.

Some people use their daily moisturizers as leave-ins.

faithVA

Just through weeks of experimenting I found that if I apply a water based or aloe based product 1st and then follow it with a creamy, non water based product it works better for me. Together they give me moisturized hair that is also soft. I get the best from the combination versus one of them alone.

I only use an aloe based product during the week when I want to moisturized and my hair is up. But I may reapply both if I restyle my hair. It just depends.

Zaz

vtoodler
Thanks for that, I guess since I cowash often I don't really feel the need to moisturise in between. Once I put in my leave in/moisturiser on wet hair, that's all I'll do to my hair till next wash.