Votes: 16 61.5%
  • wheat germ oil

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • other oil

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blessedandlucky

i'm considering adding either hemp seed oil or wheat germ oil to my regimen. does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with these oils? i'm relaxed for the reference.

ms.blue

I have only used hempseed oil so I'm biased but I really like using hempseed oil when I seal my hair (natural or straighten). It has a slight nutty smell that goes away pretty quick and it is not has heavy as some other oils. Plus, I read wheat germ oil stinks so team hempseed for me.

CaramelPrincezz

I just ordered Hemp seed oil because of the ceramides thread. I picked that one because I read that WGO smelled pretty bad. Haven't used either yet though

misstobz

I LOVE hemp seed oil. Wheat germ oil smells terrible. Wheat germ is also more effective when you mix it with a carrier oil-olive/coconut etc. I have both, but always find myself using my hemp seed oil more than the wheat germ. Once in a while I take a tbsp of it too :)

IslandDiva08

I have never used hemp seed oil, but wheat germ oil is one of my staple products. When doing a deep condition treatment, I would normally mix my conditioner of choice with two tablespoon of wheat germ oil, one tablespoon of rosehip oil, add in some honey, my home made amla oil and glycerin and I am ready to hop under my steamer.

Wheat germ oil is said to be highly rich in Vitamin E, A and D and has a high content of proteins. It also contains phosphorus, zinc, iron, sulphur, potassium, carotene and vegetable lecithin. I love this oil, It seems to have helped in controlling my eczema as well.

Last edited:

Tiye

I have hemp seed oil. I don't think it's anything to write home about. I couldn't find wheat germ oil. I used sunflower oil when I was into ceramides because it was easiest to find - and cheapest but my main oil staple is castor oil.

blessedandlucky

did you see any positive effect from it at all? i'm curious, but i also don't want to waste money. also, are you relaxed or natural?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I voted "Hemp" IMO it's 'lighter'. It gives some Blinging Shine too.:grin:
The Shine is amazing. And I think the % of ceramides is higher than WhGO?

But, I've had both, used both, like both but voted for: HEMP!:yep:

Lita

WGO-Stinks & its too thick ...
I like Hemp-seed it go's on smooth & gives great shine...

Happy Hair Growing!

miss_cheveious

For me it's wheat germ oil. Although I haven't used Hemp seed.
I use it as hot oil treatment/prepoo mixed with olive oil. Wheat Germ oil 60% & Olive Oil 40%. As I shampoo it out the thickness or smell doesn't affect me. It has definitely upped the condition of my hair whilst airdrying.

MissMusic

I like to mix both, they are wonderful together, but alone I would have to say they give very similar results, but hempseed leaves your hair a little smoother.

Stella B.

They're both very good oils, with vitamins and ceramides to nourish hair. I prefer hemp over wheat germ because its a much lighter oil. It combines well with carrier oils (coconut, olive, avocado) and offers elasticity to boot!!!! You can't go wrong with either.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I use wheatgerm oil mixed with jbco to seal after I moisturize my hair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I like both, prefer hemp over wheat germ. Does both of these oils deteriorate in quality when heated? At what heat point does this deterioration happens?

joytimes10

Thanks for the recs., Ladies. I have WGO and I really hate the smell so I only use it mixed in with my DC or in a pre-poo. I must rinse it out of my hair or the smell will drive me over the edge. I can't wait to use it up so I can switch to hempseed oil.

Minty

hemp seed no doubt.

Hemp under the steamer - oh boy.
Hemp as a leave-in - its serious
hemp as a serum - its blinding.

I'm exaggerating....but not really.

I don't like bad smells and this doesn't have one. I keep the bottle in the fridge, but I have it mixed with other oils as a serum/leave-in and that stays on the shelf.

xcuzememiss

Wheat germ oil smells like a bottle of vitamins.. You know its not a pungent or putrid smell, just not sweet or light. Besides that I voted WGO.. Why bc its thick consistency and my hair always feels extra conditioned after I use it. I mainly use it as a pre-poo mixed along with olive oil! I love it and think my hair wa healthier when I was using it, as a matter of fact my highlights seemed in better condition when I was using the oil! I might have to get some more.. Oh yeah, I'm relaxed !

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I just started using Hemp seed oil and I wish I would have started using it years ago!

Wheat germ oil used to be a fave though.
I just stopped purchasing it months ago when I wanted to give JBCO a try, and never got back to repurchasing it.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I've never used Hemp, but it sounds like I might need to start. I guess I am one of the odd balls that loves the scent of WGO. :yep:

kinkycurlygurl

I've been using wheat germ oil for about a year. I like it. It smells kind of earthy/nutty. The last bottle I bought was refrigerated at the store and I stored it that way too. It can go rancid at room temperature and really get a stink on.

I haven't tried hemp seed oil, I got into wheat germ oil because of the ceremide thread.

melissa-bee

I voted "Hemp" IMO it's 'lighter'. It gives some Blinging Shine too.:grin:
The Shine is amazing. And I think the % of ceramides is higher than WhGO?

But, I've had both, used both, like both but voted for: HEMP!:yep:

LOL, I was at the club a couple weeks ago after having put some hempseed oil in my hair. A guy with a high top fade stopped me and asked me what "grease" I put in my hair. I told him it's hemp seed oil and he said it looked good.
After I was paranoid I put too much in so I was trying to wipe some off.

melissa-bee

I use hempseed oil.
When I start experimenting with homemade conditioners I'm going to buy wheat germ oil for protein.

lamaria211

Where are u ladies getting ur hemp seed oil from? i have had wheat germ oil or a long time but the smell is:nono: