Please Tell Us What Is The Best Way To Detangle Natural Hair...

PlanetCybertron

Can I explain what I do? I’m not currently natural, but I had constant tangling all last year, that I’ve just now been slowly mitigating. I know it may seem like relaxed hair would be easier to detangle, but it can be just as attention demanding as natural hair, at least for me personally, and I also think with added length comes an even greater need to try and hone in, and figure out the best way to detangle Afro Textured Hair.

@Chicoro, does exactly what I do, when I come across a knot that’s extremely small, or a SSk. I use a sewing needle since that’s about as pointy as I can get.

I also read somewhere that regardless of texture, the longer your hair gets, the more sections you should separate your hair into.

I’m finding that continuously having the hair separated, cuts out severe tangling, hence why I’m having to put away long term bunning. It doesn’t do much concerning keeping shed hair from matting itself along my length. Ladies who do very long term protective styles that separate the hair like twists, or chunky braids seem to have an easier time detangling. As least from what I observe, and a comb or brush only tightens tangles even more for myself personally. So I’m trying to dive head first into keeping the hair separated.

So far it’s been proving very effective. I’ve also been pre-pooing with a butter mix I have, on dry hair. Just finger detangling in 4-6 sections, and once I get in the shower, I just shampoo and condition in sections. By that time most of my shed hair is already gone. The butter kind of acts like a bumper and lets the hairs move freely past one another, or lets the shed hair slide on out. I can get the same effect with a cone serum, I’m just opting for butter because I’ve been newly obsessed with Cupuaçu butter lol.

Last edited:

syrk

Good question.

I always ALWAYS detangle before I shampoo. Imagine all that shed hair dancing around on your head and then slapping shampoo on it. You asking for dreads yo.

Get the shed hairs out first before rubbing on your scalp with shampoo.

Thank you. This makes sense to me and this is what I've been doing. I just see so many people on youtube going straight into shampooing and then detangling later during conditioning. I was wondering if I was wasting time by detangling first or if I needed to choose a better shampoo if shampooing non-detangled hair was causing issues.

I was watching this old Reniece video this morning though, and she also emphasizes detangling and removing shed hairs on tangle prone hair before shampooing, so I feel like I'm on the right track. Thank you!

Last edited:

icsonia22

Thank you. This makes sense to me and this is what I've been doing. I just see so many people on youtube going straight into shampooing and then detangling later during conditioning. I was wondering if I was wasting time by detangling first or if I needed to choose a better shampoo if shampooing non-detangled hair was causing issues.

I was watching this old Reniece video this morning though, and she also emphasizes detangling and removing shed hairs on tangle prone hair before shampooing, so I feel like I'm on the right track. Thank you!

I was thinking the exact same thing! I couldn't figure out how their hair wasn't matting. We used to hear horror stories of people who took their braids out, shampooed immediately without detangling and then had to cut their hair off because of the knots. They had me over here thinking something changed if everyone was just able to detangle after shampooing. I'm sooooo glad I didn't jump on that train.

Black Ambrosia

I've been using Naturalicious clay treatment. It's a shampoo, conditioner, and detangler. It's made working with my natural hair in this pandemic so much easier. I used to detangle before getting my hair wet for fear that it would be exponentially worse otherwise but I don't do that anymore. I drench it with water and then work the clay through my hair. By the time I do a second rinse, I'm content with the results.

classychic1908

I changed methods. Aloe juice and olive oil detangle before shampoo, is the best thing ever! My daughter has fine, dense hair that webs and matts, this is the best thing we've tried hands down!
I'm updating to say that aloe juice all by itself is truly amazing for detangling as well. My hair isn't fond of olive oil, so for me, aloe juice alone is the GOAT. In fact, it makes me want to skip rinse out conditioner!