Please suggest a good moisturizing shampoo

silenttullip

Preferably sulfate free but doesn't have to be
Something that leaves no build up and is okay for sensitive scalp
I've tried Giovanni 50/50 made my scalp dry
Elucence Moisture Benefits (I'm allergic to brewers yeast I think)
so it made my scalp and neck turn red
ORS Creamy Aloe stripped
Shescentit jojoba hemp moisturized but left scalp red
Nature's Gate Jojoba too drying
All of aubrey shampoos extremely drying I only use their conditioners
I assumed I was using too much so I started diluting 1-2 caps in water
Still stripped
I've been searching since June 09
Please help regardless of what I do I get a tight dry scalp
When I cowash I don't have this issue but then I have an oily build up on my salp
Any suggestion appreciated

FoxxyLocs

If you don't mind a shampoo bar instead of liquid shampoo, I really like Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. I also have issues with dry hair and a dry scalp.

PJaye

Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (old formula); the new CON Argan Oil is pretty good, too.

SmilingElephant

For sulfate free I like Giovanni or Chagrin Valley shampoo bars....but my guilty pleasure right now is Pantene Curly shampoo (dry to moisturized):yep:

I also like the Curly Q Cutie Cleansing Cream by CURLs. It's the kiddie one but I think the regular cleansing cream has similar if not the same ingredients. But the one I have is quite moisturizing for a sulfate free cleanser. But it does suds up.

silenttullip

Yes I love CV shampoo bars but I read on different blogs you shouldn't use it frequently on natural hair. I don't know if I should stop or not. So far its the only poo that hasn't dried me out but I don't wanna ruin my hair with i if its dangerous... Something about the ph

If you don't mind a shampoo bar instead of liquid shampoo, I really like Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. I also have issues with dry hair and a dry scalp.

Sheena

take any 8 oz bottle of shampoo that you aren't allergic to and add 1 tablespoon jojoba oil to it. If you're allergic to jojoba oil you can use olive oil instead.

FoxxyLocs

I've read that you should do acv rinses when you first start using the bars because if you have residue from other products they can leave your hair feeling like it has buildup or something on it. I've been using them for about 3 months with great results. I dont do acv rinses though. I see no reason why they can't be used on natural hair.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Most if not all moisturizing shampoos leave a conditioner deposit behind. This is why it is suggested to use a more cleansing as the 1st lather then use the accompanying moisturizing shampoo as the 2nd lather

Elasta qp suggest using the bodifying shampoo 1st lather to rid the hair of product then the creme conditioning shampoo 2nd lather.

http://www.elastaqp.com/womenshampoos.htm
Kenra suggest using their 1st lather shampoo then the detangling shampoo

I have the kenra and when i use it I dont condition behind it because I dont feel the conditioner can get through the conditioner that is left behind from the shampoo. I just apply my leave in over it when it dries a bit and go about my business.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
silenttullip if you find that most shampoos dry out your scalp, have you been to a dermatologist? It sounds more like you may have a scalp related issue.

nyreeroberts1

I rarely use shampoo, but I do like Silk Elements Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo

cutenss

The only shampoo that I like is the ORS Aloe. I have yet to find a moisturizing shampoo. My hair just doesn't like shampoo, except for the ORS. Maybe you could try WEN, or Hair One Cleansing Conditioner. WEN you have to order from QVC, Curlmart.com, or from the Chaz Dean website. Hair One can be found at Sallys. HTH

allmundjoi

I love SM Moisture Retention Shampoo, SM Curl & Shine Shampoo and Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo. All are sulfate free.

Barbara

Princess
Verifen Complex Beneficial Phase Shampoo -- it's very concentrated. A little goes a long way.

I use a capful for each wash, and that's too much. I need to use 1/2 capful.

Last edited:

coyacoy

maybe try your own mix. a shampoo i make at home that is extremely moisturizing consists of:
- african black soap
- aloe vera juice
- mix of oils (JBCO, coconut, veg glycerin, etc.)
it is very moisturizing and easy to make. let the soap sit in the mix for a while to dissolve then mix it together after it does. i found this recipe on a random site - wish i could give props to the author but don't know who that is!......i digress:ohwell:.........

HTH!! :grin:

EDIT: forgot to mention neem oil! it serves as the cleaning agent along with the soap itself

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
Shea moisture moisture retension shampoo

I second this to the fullest. :grin: This shampoo has Argon Oil, Sea Kelp, and Shea Butter. It leaves my hair so soft, and gently cleansed. My breakage issues have turned around, and this is the only thing I changed about my reggie. I am still on my first bottle and I will definitely be stocking up on this.

I still occasionally use a Sulfate shampoo as a first wash and still clarify as needed, but I've experienced very little buildup with this product.

silenttullip

smh hair one gave me build up
got a bottle I need 2 send 2 my momma

The only shampoo that I like is the ORS Aloe. I have yet to find a moisturizing shampoo. My hair just doesn't like shampoo, except for the ORS. Maybe you could try WEN, or Hair One Cleansing Conditioner. WEN you have to order from QVC, Curlmart.com, or from the Chaz Dean website. Hair One can be found at Sallys. HTH

silenttullip

Yep been to 3 derms... It's hilarious how unhelpful and uninformed they really are. I have a scalp condition BUT the usual symptoms are the opposite of dryness. Chagrin Valley usually clears my scalp but when I try switching to a moisturizing shampoo it dries out my scalp. Upon trying the derms suggestions my scalp actually became worse. So natural products work best for me but I just can't find the right shampoo

silenttullip if you find that most shampoos dry out your scalp, have you been to a dermatologist? It sounds more like you may have a scalp related issue.