Please Help!!!!!!!! My Hair is still breaking

Tayw29

Okay heres the deal since coming across this forum i have drastically change my daily hair care routine and for about a month now i have incorporated alot of the methods you guys use to help improve the health of my hair, however it still continues to break and i dont know what im doing wrong.

Ive be cowashing once a week with suave milk & honey or Tropical coconut with EVOO letting it sit for anywhere from an hour to 3 hours depending on my time, rinsing and applying NTM silk touch and or infusium 23 letting it air dry. I must admit i have used heat maybe 3 times this month but i find that when i blow dry my hair it actually feels and looks better but thats doesnt mean its doing my hair any good..... I've used castor oil, sweet almond oil, WGO, coconut oil, Grapeseed oil and they have been great. I wash once a week with CON (green & white) or Pantene relaxed and natural, Deep condition with Ors Mayo, or Motions CPR, been using Ors replenishing pak, only comb when wet and have been phony ponying to high hell, bagging my pony tail, using S-Curl no drip and tying my hair up with a satin scarf and sleeping on a satin pillow case.

Now with all that said my hair is still coming out a lot and i dont know what else to do to make it stop. Please Please Please Someone help me figure out what i should do to stop the madness. Oh by the way i have color in my hair right down the middle honey damn blonde which i know now is the Devil and thats primarly where its breaking but not solely where the breakage is.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you shouldn't shampoo two times a week, just step up your cowashing? Also, you may have to cut out the heat period for a month or two to give your hair a break. Maybe you are having a protein/moisture balance problem. I don't know much about that so maybe someone else can give you a hand.

I'm no hair expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am responding, mainly because I know from (personal experience) how it feels when it seems no one w/reply to your post. Have faith, someone usually replies.

Anyways, I didnt notice a protein treatment in your regimen. Do you have one? Aphogee, Emergencee, Extended Moisture Repair... something like that?

infusim in my opinion is garbage. If I were you I would let this go first. I am also looking at your deep conditioners. Ladies correct me if I am wrong but these are all proteins? Where are your more moisturizing conditioners? Could be protien overload from what I am seeing. Anyone wanna co-sign on this?

HTH

I dont shampoo twice a week i shampoo once a week and cowash once a week, and im not sure about the protien/mousture balane, i think my hair may not like protien becuz it seems to act up a bit more after i used the mayo and the cpr

Ive only used the mayo once and the cpr once and ive used the replenishing pak once is that too much

s_terry said:
infusim in my opinion is garbage. If I were you I would let this go first. I am also looking at your deep conditioners. Ladies correct me if I am wrong but these are all proteins? Where are your more moisturizing conditioners? Could be protien overload from what I am seeing. Anyone wanna co-sign on this?

HTH

With ORs mayo, INfusium CPR it looks like you have too much protein.

Also, where is your deep moisturizing condition (sans protein). I know you use NTM for leave-in...but where's the deep moisture that you "bake" in under a heat cap for 20 minutes once or twice a week. :) . That's what I do and I highly recommend it.

Also, why are you leaving those cheap conditioners on for an hour to CW. I do a CW daily --in 5 mins-- I just step in shower, slather on conditioner, shower and rinse out. Those conditioners are not for deep penetration.

I don't use those....

I actually use none of the products you mentioned. Just because others rave, doesn't mean it'll work for me.

I would pare down the system and test each product, noting how your hair feels afterwards. Does your hair like the products?

I don't do as well with oils and honeys as others do ...but my hair loves protein and I can do two protein treatments a week.

ETA: Tay, your hair looks beautiful in the avatar!

Last edited:
Tayw29 said:
I dont shampoo twice a week i shampoo once a week and cowash once a week, and im not sure about the protien/mousture balane, i think my hair may not like protien becuz it seems to act up a bit more after i used the mayo and the cpr

Oh ok because in your sig it says shampoo 2x/week. I'm sure it has to do with lack of/too much moisture or protein. Did you read sistaslicks thread uptop?

Ive used NTM daily deep conditioner and the suave conditioners with the EVOO is great it leaves my hair feeling like cotton and im streching my relaxer and im 7 weeks post and im going for 12. Managing my newgrowth has been great but the breaking wont stop

Oh ok because in your sig it says shampoo 2x/week. I'm sure it has to do with lack of/too much moisture or protein. Did you read sistaslicks thread uptop?

Oh i have to change that in my sig. Yeah i did read it but being that im relatively new to this im not sure how to tell the difference between needing protien verses needing moisture.

Synthia said:
With ORs mayo, INfusium CPR it looks like you have too much protein.

Also, where is your deep moisturizing condition (sans protein). I know you use NTM for leave-in...but where's the deep moisture that you "bake" in under a heat cap for 20 minutes once or twice a week. :) . That's what I do and I highly recommend it.

Also, why are you leaving those cheap conditioners on for an hour to CW. I do a CW daily --in 5 mins-- I just step in shower, slather on conditioner, shower and rinse out. Those conditioners are not for deep penetration.

I don't use those....

I actually use none of the products you mentioned. Just because others rave, doesn't mean it'll work for me.

I would pare down the system and test each product, noting how your hair feels afterwards. Does your hair like the products?

I don't do as well with oils and honeys as others do ...but my hair loves protein and I can do two protein treatments a week.

ETA: Tay, your hair looks beautiful in the avatar!

Thanks Synthia and the avatar pic is from before i decided to start taking care of this mess:grin: Im still going through my trial and era period and im just not sure what works for me just yet but i am so trying to stop the breakage and i dont know where to begin

Lotus said:
I'm no hair expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am responding, mainly because I know from (personal experience) how it feels when it seems no one w/reply to your post. Have faith, someone usually replies.

Anyways, I didnt notice a protein treatment in your regimen. Do you have one? Aphogee, Emergencee, Extended Moisture Repair... something like that?

I thought the Mayo and the CPR were protien treatments:lol: im so confused

Tayw29 said:
I thought the Mayo and the CPR were protien treatments:lol: im so confused

Girl dont get me to lying. But by protein... I meant a strong one, one that 'immediately stops breakage', like a 6week treatment kinda thing. I use Mayo at least every two weeks (mixed w/honey & coconut oil) and Aphogee at least every 6. My hair likes protein though... I always get less breakage w/Aphogee. I'm still loosing hair, but definely not as much. I'm still learning... so you're not the only one confused.

Looks like some of the more experience ladies have responded to your post... so good look w/your treatments. Bump the thread w/your results once your curtail your breakage- K. TIA

Tayw29 said:

Oh i have to change that in my sig. Yeah i did read it but being that im relatively new to this im not sure how to tell the difference between needing protien verses needing moisture.

OK. I know you're not stupid. But with all the stuff you're using ...are you sure it's breaking or not just shedding? Are there any white bulbs at the end to suggest the hair is just naturally coming out of the scalp at the end of it's life phase.

We all comb out shedded hairs everyday. It seems impossible with all your treatments that there could be significant breakage.

I'm not a hair expert, but I think you are using way too much protein and your hair don't like it. Try more moisture and cut out some of the protein products.(Infusium 23, ORS replenshing pak, ORS Mayo)

From my experience my hair didn't like ORS replenshing pak. Also, Herbal Essence moisturizing conditioner is pretty good too for CoWash. It cost about $2.97 and it's very moisturizing. I think you should focus more on moisturizing and cut out some of the protein until your hair stops shedding, and then slowly introduce one of the proteins until you find the proper balance.

Also, maybe clarify, deep condition, and then moisture like there is no tomorrow.

Good luck to you!

Synthia said:
OK. I know you're not stupid. But with all the stuff you're using ...are you sure it's breaking or not just shedding? Are there any white bulbs at the end to suggest the hair is just naturally coming out of the scalp at the end of it's life phase.

We all comb out shedded hairs everyday. It seems impossible with all your treatments that there could be significant breakage.

There is some shedding i have noticed the bulb on some but most is breakage, Im seeing quite a bit of hair after everything i do even the baggie method, when i take the baggie off to cowash which is every wednesday or thursday and again on sunday when i shampoo i find that although my ends are moisturized and soft im still losing hair when i touch it. While combing with conditioner in wet hair i lose hair and even when im braiding to air dry or putting it up in a bun.

MzTami said:
I'm not a hair expert, but I think you are using way too much protein and your hair don't like it. Try more moisture and cut out some of the protein products.(Infusium 23, ORS replenshing pak, ORS Mayo)

From my experience my hair didn't like ORS replenshing pak. Also, Herbal Essence moisturizing conditioner is pretty good too for CoWash. It cost about $2.97 and it's very moisturizing. I think you should focus more on moisturizing and cut out some of the protein until your hair stops shedding, and then slowly introduce one of the proteins until you find the proper balance.

Also, maybe clarify, deep condition, and then moisture like there is no tomorrow.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Mztami im gonna try what you suggested and hopfully i will see some inprovement its just so upsetting to see so much of my hair come out when my goal is to improve its health and grow to my goal.....but im gonna have to be patient and find what works for my hair and hope i dont go bald before i do :lol:

CON shampoo--liked by many
Pantene Conditioners--make the hair feel wonderful... when wet

Unfortunately, both of these products are NOT good for the hair. CON causes build up and so does Pantene. Pantene coats the hair very badly and is actually very drying to the hair even though it makes the hair feel like silk when you rinse it out. I used to be a Pantene girl too, but found out that it really isn't moisturizing--just a "feel good" conditioner.

Also please remember that a month of excellent hair care is good--but usually not enough to "fix" many months or years of not-so-good hair care. I don't know what you were doing to your hair before you came to the boards, but if you were using heat and engaging in other "unhealthy hair practices" you must keep in mind that the hair that was subject to those practices is still on your head. As more and more new growth comes in that has not been subject to abuse, you will see the improvement in your hair. Just give it some time. Patience and persistence is key in this hair game. :up:

Last edited:
I don't remember who suggested this but one of the ladies here recommended using ORS hair mayo as a pre-poo treatment. You apply liberally to dry, unwashed hair, cover your hair with a wet, warm towel (microwave it a bit) and then cover it with a plastic bag to keep the heat in. My daughters and I have tried this for about a month and it really works. BTW, after you let the conditioner sit for about 15-20 minutes, wash your hair as you normally would, use a good moisturizing conditioner, comb it through and rinse. The pre-poo treatment eliminates the need to deep conditon.

My youngest daughter who is transitioning, loses MUCH less hair when I comb and style it after the pre-poo step. My oldest daughter, whose hair has been severely damaged since PCJ (BOO!!--12 years and counting!), now has hair that appears much thicker and healthier. I wear braidouts 90% of the time and used to suffer from severe shedding/breakage. Now, I lose MUCH less hair after not combing my hair for at least a week and a half, between washes. HTH

The one thing I want to know is do you take vitamines? Have you had a blood test is your iron level low? Do you eat a good balanced diet drink water
all of this has to be checked. then you need to try Redeken Extreme or Nexxus humectress every four days.

Supergirl said:
CON shampoo--liked by many
Pantene Conditioners--make the hair feel wonderful... when wet

Unfortunately, both of these products are NOT good for the hair. CON causes build up and so does Pantene. Pantene coats the hair very badly and is actually very drying to the hair even though it makes the hair feel like silk when you rinse it out. I used to be a Pantene girl too, but found out that it really isn't moisturizing--just a "feel good" conditioner.

Also please remember that a month of excellent hair care is good--but usually not enough to "fix" many months or years of not-so-good hair care. I don't know what you were doing to your hair before you came to the boards, but if you were using heat and engaging in other "unhealthy hair practices" you must keep in mind that the hair that was subject to those practices is still on your head. As more and more new growth comes in that has not been subject to abuse, you will see the improvement in your hair. Just give it some time. Patience and persistance is key in this hair game. :up:

Well im thinking of trying the KeraCare line and hopefully that will help, i know this little month i've invested in caring more for my may not be enough to improve the damage i've caused and im sure theres a lot but its so frustrating to see the continuous loss of hair. I expect some but it's a lot and its making depressed:lol:

Ive tried the hair mayo with the hot towel before the wash and i do take vitamins, drink lots of water and my iron levels are fine, i cant say i eat the healthiest but its not terrible.

Well, continue to try the protein conditioner w/ hot towel and your washing and styling as usual (at least once a week). I noticed the difference in my whole family's hair after the first pre-poo. Also, try ACV to clarify and you'll really noticed how well this method works.

I would also say to get rid of the Infusium. It works great for some people but for others it just leads to dryness probably b/c of the proteins.

Question for the more experienced ladies: Would it help her to do an Emergencee/Aphogee treatment to immediately stop the breakage, then start following up that treatment with a Humectress or another type of treatment that adds moisture?

s_terry said:

HTH
I agree protein overload caused MAJOR breakage for me..Someone recomended the garlic shampoo & garlic conditioners for breakage..Also try to use more moisturing conditoners instead of the protein..I totally agree with whomever said Infusium was gargage( My hair fell out in clumps when i used it, but it seems to work for some people)..This is just what helped when I had major breakage ..everyones hair is different

Tayw29 said:
Well im thinking of trying the KeraCare line and hopefully that will help, i know this little month i've invested in caring more for my may not be enough to improve the damage i've caused and im sure theres a lot but its so frustrating to see the continuous loss of hair. I expect some but it's a lot and its making depressed:lol:

I would recommend the Keracare line over CON and Pantene any day. Another thing that happens to us when we become "hair conscious" is that we are more likely to notice every little broken or shed hair. Chances are that your hair is breaking less than it was before you started your new regimen, but chances are that you are also noticing it more.

MzTami said:

Good luck to you!

ITA! All that product won't do much if it can't get through. Clarify and start over with moisture.

Last edited:
Back