Please don't judge me. (brushing confessions)

Die

I've been sick. Seriously sick. I am normally sick, but usually not this sick. It started on Christmas Day. I've been hospitalized twice (A day each time), I've had one surgery.

The reason this is relevant is because at Christmas time, my hair was to my waist, and when gathered in a single braid, as thick as my wrist.

But I was too sick to brush my hair. For about a month I was too sick to do even normal brushing. I braided my hair and twisted it up into buns, but it got worse and worse.

After a month the worst of the sickness was over, but I still wasn't "healthy." I was able to do basic "maintenance" brushing, but longer than five minutes, and I was exhausted. I washed it twice a week, and put conditioner in it, but I just wasn't up to brushing it. I twisted it up into a bun, jabbed a stick into it, and left it. Most people didn't notice how bad my hair was, and to be honest, I wasn't up for much socializing.

I've slowly been building up my strength over the last five months, two weeks ago I finally took on the project of brushing out all of the horrible tangles in my hair.

It was painful, but I did it. I had to work really hard to get out all of the "shed" hair that was trapped in the epic snarl. Toward the end, I sat in the tub, and pured water and conditioner on my hair over and over again while I got out the worst of the tangles that were set against the base of my scalp. I was pathetically happy when I touched my scalp with the comb for the first time. . .

So now it's detangled, clean, conditioned, oiled, and it smells good. It's soft, and split-end free. I didn't even need to cut it.

But I've lost roughly five inches in length, and it's half as thick.

Seriously. My hair has NEVER been this thin.

I realize that I'm a disgusting person for ever letting it get that bad in the first place--trust me, I am disgusted with myself. I have re-dedicated myself to long hair, and hygiene.

But does anyone have tips for hair-care that might help my hair grow out faster?

I eat a pretty good diet--with all the blood-work I've had done, all my doctors are impressed with my nutrition. There were a few months where I couldn't eat much, but what I ate was balanced.

I plan on returning to my routine of a light coat of Moroccan oil after my hair is wet for any reason, and a heavy oil treatment (coconut oil) before washing it.

I plan on keeping up my washing and conditioning of my hair with a sulfide free shampoo and conditioner two or three times a week, as needed.

I will brush my hair with a wide tooth comb to detangle it when I get up in the morning, do about 50 strokes with a boar bristle brush at night, and de-tangle with my fingers when my hair is wet.

Is there anything else that I can do to recover from my stupidity?

Sadly, this is pretty much getting back into my normal routine for me. Do scalp massaged really help?

Take it easy on yourself, you had a good excuse so don't beat yourself up.

as for suggestions
many like jbco for thickness and growth
deep conditioning
oil rinsing
baggy method
and just all out babying your hair will have you back in business.

Last edited:
I do not have any advice on growing your hair faster, but I'm sure whatever got your hair to such great length originally will work again.

I wanted to say you are neither disgusting nor stupid. You were sick and had every right to put your health before your hair. Glad to hear you have overcome your sickness and pray you continue to be in good health.

Oh yes, and WELCOME!

Sweetie dont be so hard on yourself...u were sick & thats understandable. You are a member of a terrific hair board which means you will have support and im positive your hair will get thicker/longer as time goes on :)

Kinda ot but what does your username mean?

Eta: welcome to lhcf ;)

Last edited:
Also some of the hair damage may be due to your health. Next time though, if you ever feel this bad again and neglect your hair, know that you can get rid of knots with cowboy magic or just for me detangli ng sprayand won't have to rip away at knots, allowing them to slip out so that you don't damage your hair.

Last edited:
uhm....the username is a little disturbing (esp in re to what you mentioned in your opening post). I hope you are well (and I mean in every way) and wish you the best.

Why did you choose the username of "Die"? Considering your sickness, you need as much positivity and faith as possible to get through this.

For your hair, you need someone you can trust to help you the next time you're unable to care for it. Oil rinses (w/castor oil), weekly deep conditioners w/a restructuring-moisture-protein balance (Aubrey GPB is great), and daily water spritz n seal w/castor oil are some suggestions that help me.

virtuenow said:
Why did you choose the username of "Die"? Considering your sickness, you need as much positivity and faith as possible to get through this.

For your hair, you need someone you can trust to help you the next time you're unable to care for it. Oil rinses (w/castor oil), weekly deep conditioners w/a restructuring-moisture-protein balance (Aubrey GPB is great), and daily water spritz n seal w/castor oil are some suggestions that help me.

I agree. Please be positive and I hope you are healing, inside and out.

Welcome to the board. Please continue to get well. We have supportive women on the board that are also facing health issues that can cause shedding and general fatigue of hair maintenance.

Your plan sounds good to me, and I do believe that scalp massages help; if they don't actually stimulate blood flow, they do help to relax you. :)

ETA: Do you really need to brush your hair at night?

Relax, hun. I was in your situation a couple years ago. I was seriously ill and spent a lot of time in the hospital.

It's devastating, I know. But it will be okay. Eat well, take your vitamins and continue your regimen and your hair will restore itself. Really.

Stress will make it worse. You're human and it was beyond your control. You've done nothing wrong.

Oh, my user name is short for Diane. I've always liked that better than "Di." I am not dying. Don't worry. Just miserable.

I didn't consider that it might be my illness that caused some of the hair loss. As part of my problem is hormonal, that is probably a factor. (I have poly-cystic ovaries and I've been bleeding for the past five months. It was so bad at first that I lost about a pint of blood in one day. Because I lost so much blood, I lost a good portion of my white blood cells. Which means, that I got sick. Epicly sick.)

As for the brushing at night with the boar bristles--it's not to detangle. It's to spread oil down from your scalp to the tip of your hair. It doesn't work if your hair is super-curly/kinky. My sister can't get a boar-bristle brush to penetrate deep enough in her hair for it to work.

My hair is loosely wavy, though, not particularly curly.

Okay, I can't find a faq with a legend for the "hair types" in your profile. Can anyone point me there, or give me some advice?

Don't be so hard on yourself! Being sick takes up a loooot of energy so of course you wouldn't be able to sit there and do all this stuff to your hair. My personal theory is that while people are sick a lot of nutrients are used up by your body as fuel to help you recover. I've always felt that we need to especially eat more nutritious or take supplements as needed to replenish ourselves after illness. Even though your diet may have been balanced in the hospital, i really believe we need more nutrition then our diets & regular multivitamins provide. I believe in juicing, i take a lot of green supplements and i still take my prenatals (rainbow light).

I think your hair will be fine now that you are taking care of it. Scalp massages are great. There are a lot of great growth aids on the market now. I've used ones with sulfur like Bee Mine but there is also hair trigger (which I've just started using for my dd...so far so good and all natural). Just be positive, it will get better. Good luck to you :)

I am very sorry to hear that you are/were so sick. You are such a strong woman for going through what you did and still able to continue on with everything. I know that you may not be feeling the best now, but trust me you will one day soon.

As far as your hair, you might need to cut a little bit of it to get all of the damage out. Aside from that, I believe that all of the advice these ladies gave you will work out.

Keep your head up sweetie

I think the hair loss could've been because of your illness. It'll grow back. Take care of your body first. All the things you need to bring your health back will also help grow your hair.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Being sick takes up a loooot of energy so of course you wouldn't be able to sit there and do all this stuff to your hair. My personal theory is that while people are sick a lot of nutrients are used up by your body as fuel to help you recover. I've always felt that we need to especially eat more nutritious or take supplements as needed to replenish ourselves after illness. Even though your diet may have been balanced in the hospital, i really believe we need more nutrition then our diets & regular multivitamins provide. I believe in juicing, i take a lot of green supplements and i still take my prenatals (rainbow light).

I think your hair will be fine now that you are taking care of it. Scalp massages are great. There are a lot of great growth aids on the market now. I've used ones with sulfur like Bee Mine but there is also hair trigger (which I've just started using for my dd...so far so good and all natural). Just be positive, it will get better. Good luck to you :)
I take a few herbal supplements. I drink an 8 oz. glass of gelled Chia seeds before every meal (omega 3, calcium, iron, fiber, and protein.) I take prenatal vitamins. I have hemp seeds and milled flax seeds on my food whenever I can. I always eat a lot of protein-- free-range chicken and eggs--usually from a local farm, quinoa instead of rice, lentils, and goat's milk. My food is 100% organic, and it's always very colorful. I mix my chia seeds as a lemonade with honey (half the recommended amount--but the honey is raw and local) and mint/yarba mate tea in the place of water.

I do not juice, because I have weight problems, and I really need to cut back on sugar. It's really easy for me to get carried away with fruit juice. The only fruit I have a lot of is grapefruit, but the acidity made me a little nauseated so I cut back my morning grapefruit (peeled and eaten in sections, not eaten with sugar and a spoon.), and replaced it with granola. The raisins and currants had some vitamin C, but it wasn't as acidic.

Even at my least healthy, I could still eat my seeds (chia, hemp, and flax), prenatal vitamins, and get a balanced meal. When I cut back, I cut back on the grains and sugars mostly. The good news is that I've lost 50 lbs (I know. I know. Not the ideal way to loose it, but yay! Silver lining!) I'm still over-weight, but I'm half-way to my goal weight. Mostly I'm exercising (I'm going really slowly and only just now able to start up Yoga again. I still puke and pass out a lot.), and trying to eat healthy and not worry too much about calories. I want to be thinner for health-reasons. I don't really care how I look weight-wise. My husband thinks I'm beautiful and wonderful, and loves me no matter what. No-one else matters.

I've always been frail, so I learned early on to take care of my diet. I don't exercise as much as I should--both for health reasons and because I am incredibly lazy. Before all of this I did fifteen minutes of "light" yoga a day, plus a one hour class once a week. About a year before that I could do about an hour of "light" yoga a day, and I walked for an hour five days a week. My health has been deteriorating. Losing the weight has helped, because I think, once the other problems have been cleared up, I might be able to go back to walking.

Do you really think that juicing could help?

Die I do think juicing can help, between that and greens mixes I get a lot of nutrients. i'm not a huge veggie eater (I'm trying to get better at that). I've just started this anti-sugar quest of my own so I understand cutting that out. I mostly juice veggies like kale/spinach/celery/beets/carrots. The beets & carrots are more starchy/sugary so they balance out the other stuff a little. I may add a little apple for sweetness but that's it.

You sound like you have a great diet though overall. I think for you scalp massages & maybe a topical agent will work for you. That and patience. You went through a lot so it will take some time to rebuild your nutrients. You are back on a routine so things will get better.

Back