PIN CURL Experiment

Ivytresses

Ladies,

I have attempted to pin curl my hair in 6 sections with very large bobby pins. I wd and co myhair yesterday and let it air dry. I used the flat iron today to straighten it out. So again, I have 6 pin curls in my hair (hoping that I did them like I was supposed to). If in the morning I awaken and I look like a poodle and I am trying like heck not to put heat on my hair, what should I do?

Kim

I don't have nearly as much hair as you and my pin curls turn out great! I'm transitioning. For one I use smaller sections and I make them small. I have LOTS of pin curls in my hair and in the morning, my hair looks like it was spiral curled.

Check this video out (mainly 1:20 on.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VX7CuFKrk&feature=channel_page This woman is a an actual member on this board. Forgot her member name. She's the creator of Hydratherma Naturals (if that helps!)

It helped me. The only difference is that when I pin mine I pin the whole curl flat to my head, not in the center so it creates a barrel. It's wonderful because I can put on a silk scarf/bonnet and sleep as wild as I want.
Don't give up, practice makes perfect.

Thank you so much her video was great. I have put 4 BANTU KNOTS in my head and wrapped it up. My only fear is that my curls will look great in the middle but will not curl on the ends. This has happened to me. If this happens, I may have to be relegated to curl the ends until I get it right. Tomorrow, I am going to do two BANTU Knots if this turns out to be too curly.

Kim

I MUST TRY THIS last year my pin curls were great but this year they just came out jack up lol. dont know why, useing the same stuff but nothing working i look like a wild person not a good look

Well if it looks crazy you could alway throw it in a pony tail i guess. I've never been able to do Bantu knot outs, twist outs, or braid outs they all result in a hot mess.

Hopefully your hair turns out well. Good luck:thumbsup:<<apparently he's supposed to be a "thumbs up" smilie this one
thumbup.gif
looks a little better though

Last edited:
I agree with the suggestions to just pin it up some kind of way or put it in a ponytail if it comes out looking crazy. I don't really have any better advice.

I do have suggestions for pin curling to keep your ends curled as well. How you should do it depends on how you want your hair to come out. If you want spiral curls all over, the video posted is a good place to start.

I generally wear my hair as you have it in your siggy, with varying degrees of curl and straightness, depending on my mood. If that is how you like to wear your hair most, I have suggestions for that. I will frame my advice assuming you will be flat ironing, and not blowing your hair out.

My advice is, if you have thick hair and/don't want your hair to seem too flat or lifeless, yet also don't want a million tight spiral curls, not to use bobby pins, at least while you're starting out and not very proficient yet. They can leave dents and make your hair more prone to dents and becoming flat if your head becomes hot from sweat or steam (shower).

Instead, use the silver pins used for magnetic rollers. I only use bobby pins on rare occassions, if I don't have enough of the silver pins.

SUC50339-vi.jpg

To keep your ends curled, tuck them. I pin curl using several combined techniques, but I think a good general way of figuring i t out is to mimic a roller, or roll your hair as if you were putting it on a roller, and then pin it underneath with a hole in the center as if it were on a roller,

SUC50624-vi.jpg

or roll it the same way, but once you get to your roots, pin it flat against your head on one side.

SUC50321-vi.jpg

(Here, I wanted it to curl/ up, so I rolled up.)

SUC50629-vi.jpg

SUC50629-vi.jpg

That's what I mean by pinning it flat. If I know I am wearing it down and not up, I always just pin it flat to my head on one side, so it still has body. I don't like it to be super straight or flat/"sleek," just smooth.

I don't get impressions on my hair this way, and it stays bouncy and lightly curled as long as I keep it up. If I start to get too much curl in my hair or want it straighter, I may cross wrap for a night to flatten it out again.

HTH.

Back