Picture of my kitchen, might go natural! Feedback?

tekmommie

I posted a picture of my kitchen, because I want some feedback on my going natural. I am so used to looking at my hair straight, I have no idea what my natural hair looks like. Well you can see the texture...Do you think it will be hard to manage? Hard to grow out the relaxer? I don't really know what to do, but I am considering growing it out.
My Kitchen

I just need to bounce it off you guys...:)

TIA

H

HoneyRockette

It is hard to tell because from what I know, the first three inches or so that grow after you stop relaxing will be scab hair, that is, hair underneath the scalp that was affected by the chemical. It is usually kinkier and drier and more difficult to manage than your natural hair. I don't know if there is any way to know in advance how taking care of your natural texture will be. Even playing with a few inches of new growth isn't a very good indicator.

tekmommie

Scab hair sounds gross
I never heard of this before and it alone is enough to make me wanna grow it out LOL

From my knowledge the hair grows from the root (at the base of the scalp) so how could 3 inches be affected by the chemicals?? Will you please elaborate on this, please?

As I was thinking (after I posted the question) it seems like my natural hair will be more versatile instead of reverse, which I thought for years for some bizarre reason. With my natural hair I can f/i or wear curly, much easier. With relaxed hair I have to work it to get it curly.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I've never heard of scab hair, either... but I do know your hair will be hard to manage in the early stages of transitioning because your new growth is in the early growth stage and would contrast severly w/ the relaxed texture. When I first went natural I went through that and 1 1/2 years later it was long/soft. I can't wait to get to that point again!
btw, your kitchen looks very manageable and doesn't look that much different from the relaxed texture... I say go for it!

tekmommie

Laela thanks for the encouragement,
I was thinking the same thing (about hard to manage)...my hair is actually easy to manage. I went 12 weeks before I t-up last time and asked my self why? Just because I didnt like the fuzzies around the edges LOL. It seems so silly because it is very hard to tell the difference between my virgin hair and the relaxed hair (even wet).

I went to get a t-up (I just wanted to experience someone else doing it for once) and the lady did not know where to stop putting the cream (I had let it dry in a bun so my roots and all were straight). She told me to wash it let it air dry freestyle and then come back in 3 days LOL. I went home and did it myself!!

Maybe I brainwashed myself into thinking my hair would be hard to manage or something weird like that. Or maybe I just need to relax every 6 months or so!??

HELP...still need to bounce it off you guys!!

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Laela thanks for the encouragement,
I was thinking the same thing (about hard to manage)...my hair is actually easy to manage. I went 12 weeks before I t-up last time and asked my self why? Just because I didnt like the fuzzies around the edges LOL. It seems so silly because it is very hard to tell the difference between my virgin hair and the relaxed hair (even wet).

I went to get a t-up (I just wanted to experience someone else doing it for once) and the lady did not know where to stop putting the cream (I had let it dry in a bun so my roots and all were straight). She told me to wash it let it air dry freestyle and then come back in 3 days LOL. I went home and did it myself!!

Maybe I brainwashed myself into thinking my hair would be hard to manage or something weird like that. Or maybe I just need to relax every 6 months or so!??

HELP...still need to bounce it off you guys!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, your hair sounds very manageable.
I'm guessing you would be okay and your kitchen looks very soft; it doesn't look like you're anywhere near touch up time!

katie

I am confused now tekmommie. I thought I was a 4b all along but after seeing your "kitchen" I dont know what I am now.
My hair is very kinky..not curly or wavy in the least.Thus I assumed I was a 4b.But your "kitchen" looks so straight and I see you have a description as a 4a/b so it just has me wondering what I am...lol

sweetcocoa

You look like you may have 3c texture mixed in with your 4a. Your kitchen looks similar to mine. I say go ahead and try it out...

tekmommie

I don't know what my texture is!!! LOL 4a/b just seemed like it might be right. I had switched it to 3b/c but wasn't sure 'bout that either, so I switched back to 4a/b.
Maybe I am a 3 b/c. My hair is not "kinky" per se, I guess I just feel like it is cuz....heck I don't even know

snukoms

you may want to consider checking out the transitioners' message board at nappturality.com. they'll have good advice for you if you make the decision to go natural. and your hair is lovely, by the way.

tekmommie

Thanks for the feedback ladies! I will keep you guys updated.

Snukoms (what a cute name!) thank you, also. I am going to visit the transitioners' message board at nappturality.com!

Kengne

<font color="blue">Hey tekmommie! Just thought I'd drop some personal knowledge.

Tekmommie I hope u don't take offense. It's really hard to make any determinations of hair texture, unless you have at least a good 1-2 inches of new growth. Anything less than that is quite ambiguous. As well...your picture is one of your nape. The hair at ur nape is usually looser than the rest of your head so it might not be an accurate reflection of your true texture.

Pertaining to the picture you posted I can't really tell what ur texture is. My first impression was that it's rather straight: perhaps u could post a closer pic, parting in between the hair at the back? I say this because alot of natural sistahs (myself included) have looser textures at the nape. Whereas the crown/sides could be a different texture. I'm a multi-textured 4a/4b.

As well...keep in mind the weight of relaxed hair tends to stretch out the new growth curl pattern. Once the permed hair is gone, your hair could shrink revealing a different curl pattern/texture.

PS. Warning: though I'm glad u've considered going natural, please don't make any decisions about going natural based on expectations about your hair texture (esp. only one part of your hair!). I've heard countless stories of sisters going natural, thinking they had X hair..comin' to find they had Y hair. You sound very excited but is this because you think you have "manageable" hair? In my eyes, all hair is manageable. But not all people can manage all hair.

Whatever decision you come to, take care! If you want anymore info feel free to PM me.</font>

z3000zee

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">PS. Warning: though I'm glad u've considered going natural, please don't make any decisions about going natural based on expectations about your hair texture (esp. only one part of your hair!). I've heard countless stories of sisters going natural, thinking they had X hair..comin' to find they had Y hair. You sound very excited but is this because you think you have "manageable" hair? In my eyes, all hair is manageable. But not all people can manage all hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree wholeheartedly with Kenge, especially the part listed above.

for most naturals, unless they have a teeny weeny afro,your hair will be more difficult to maintain in the beginning. it is not because of the texture, it will be because of the lack of knowledge and experience with your natural hair. excluding water, some of the products that appeared to work with your relaxed hair, may not work on your natural hair.

although it is frustrating at times, it is also fun and a period of self-discovery. for example, i discovered that i not only have different textures on my head, but i also have different thicknesses on my head. just like you, i have a looser curl pattern at my nape and tighter curl patterns in other areas.

tekmommie

Hey gurl!

Thanks for dropping some personal knowledge

First off, I am in no way offended (if something as simple as the truth offends me then I don't need to be here, right??) When I ask a question I am prepared to here ALL the facts, not just what I may want to hear! So thank you...Anyways enough of that.

I hate the descriptions of the 3 or 4 whatever, because to be honest with you none of them seem to fit my hair!!!

I remember wearing my hair in what looked like a long curl, back in da day. I put some sta sof fro in my hair and people thought I had a curl.

I will post some more pictures of close views in different areas of my head, hopefully tonight or tomorrow (I'm going to buy a better digital camera, the other was a $25 one just to see if I really wanted one). I will take them wet and dry. The dry pics are very hard to tell because my hair always straightens when dry...you know like if I dry it in a bun, rollerset or whatever. I would have to airdry with no bun or anything at all...that would mean I would have to wash again

Yes I totally agree that ALL hair is managable and not all people can manage all hair. I know I can manage my hair at any texture and any length. I also know some textures at some lenghts take more work and time to get the look a person might want. Let me explain a little of why I said "managable". I am a single mom with 4 children (17, 14, 10, 8), I work full time and go to school part time. All my kids are in sports (boys) and daughter is in Brownies and dance, and I attend EVERY game/function. I don't believe in a lot of fast food so therefore, I cook hot meals 6 days a week. So when I say manageable, I mean, if I want to wear my hair straight I dont want to spend forever getting it that way (for now). Now if my natural texture is going to take more time than the relaxer is thats fine, I will just wait till, say, next year this time when things SHOULD be a little less hectic. And that is all I really meant.

Again thank you my hair sister, for bringing out those points and helping me to clarify....After all I did say I needed to bounce it off you guys

Kengne

<font color="blue">Thank you z3000zee...

And *releasing my breath*..I'm glad u didn't take offense tekmommie. It's just that sometimes I've gotten a not-so-positive reaction from sisters who wanna hear their truth but not the whole truth.

And I totally understand what you say about managing your hair. IMO when I and I was relaxed it was more difficult for me, a part-time student w/ little money, to lay down the $$$ needed to: 1)go to the salon for a touch-up 2)go to the salon for in between washes/treatments or 3) go to the salon for a hairstyle. Tekmommie my pocket &amp; hair couldn't take it anymore! Lol...anywho..I hope everything works out for you.

LaFemmeNegrita

The hairdresser couldn't find the line of demarcation, between your old and new growth? That says a lot. It sounds like your hair is straighter than not, and that you'll have a lot of fun discovering what it will do. Someone already recommended that you visit nappturality, which is excellent advice for anyone thinking about going perm-free.

If you decide to transition, enjoy the journey; it's been a blast for me personally.

tekmommie

Thanks for all the info ladies. It took me so long because my computer went out and I had to build a new one...

Anyways I took some new pictures, some close ups, some wet etc...I will post them later or tomorrow (I'm building a website, if all goes well it will be done by tomorrow)