PHYTO - Can I just FLIP the SCRIPT?

MissYocairis

:cool: Okay Ladies, Help me out here:

I have done 3 phyto phase II 's this year. I have always relaxed my hair with "regular" in the past. Now, for my next touchup, which will be in another 11 wks, I've been considering switching to Phyto Phase I instead of the two. :scratchch

I am 3c/4a. It seems to me that the Phase I would be less damaging to my hair and would offer me a fuller, stronger head of hair because it's milder.

Is there a particular protocol when switching from one relaxer strength to another to protect the hair and avoid damage? :fan:

Please advise, ladies! And, by all means, if I am incorrect in assuming phase I is going to be less damaging than phase II, please skool me. I want to make a well-informed decision. :D

L

lkg4healthyhair

Have you noticed any breakage with Phyto II?

I have used Phyto I and please keep in mind that it may not get your hair as straight as Phyto II. My hair is very fine and even while being left on for 20 mins with smoothing is still had a slight wave to it which was what I wanted at the time. It could possibly give you a underprocessed look (not match the Phyto II hair). It all depends on your hair.

I say if it ain't broke...stick with Phyto II unless you are going for a less straight look.

Not sure if I is less damaging. Anything that changes your hair pattern has to be damaging in some way.

HTH

MissYocairis

lkg4healthyhair said:
Have you noticed any breakage with Phyto II?

I have used Phyto I and please keep in mind that it may not get your hair as straight as Phyto II. My hair is very fine and even while being left on for 20 mins with smoothing is still had a slight wave to it which was what I wanted at the time. It could possibly give you a underprocessed look (not match the Phyto II hair). It all depends on your hair.

I say if it ain't broke...stick with Phyto II unless you are going for a less straight look.

Not sure if I is less damaging. Anything that changes your hair pattern has to be damaging in some way.

HTH

No, I love phyto II and I haven't noticed any breakage. And, in fact, when my time is up and I rinse, I do still have a slight wave pattern. But, I just think I may want to ease on over into texturizing rather than relaxing if it is safe. But, you say it's not safe? :(

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I thought the Phyto relaxer gave the same results as a texturizer :confused: , I thought it didn't quite straighten the hair bone straight. so what would be the difference in a texturizer and Phyto if they give the same results or am I not understanding, because everyone that gets Phyto hair never looks like they ever relaxed it. :confused:

MissYocairis

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I thought the Phyto relaxer gave the same results as a texturizer :confused: , I thought it didn't quite straighten the hair bone straight. so what would be the difference in a texturizer and Phyto if they give the same results or am I not understanding, because everyone that gets Phyto hair never looks like they ever relaxed it. :confused:

Well, my phase II's HAVE relaxed me to almost bone straight. There is a slight wave pattern but it's very slight. I was asking if I could switch to Phase I for a more defined wave pattern or would that be dangerous to the health of my hair.

L

lkg4healthyhair

CantBeCopied said:
No, I love phyto II and I haven't noticed any breakage. And, in fact, when my time is up and I rinse, I do still have a slight wave pattern. But, I just think I may want to ease on over into texturizing rather than relaxing if it is safe. But, you say it's not safe? :(

No I didn't say it wasn't safe. I was just letting you know that I and II may give different results. When I started getting PhytoI I could see the difference between it and my previously relaxed hair by Affirm.

If that is the look you are going for ( a more texturized not bone straight look) then Phyto I will give you that. At least it did for my hair.

HTH

L

lkg4healthyhair

BeautifulWideEyes said:

Not sure of the results you have seen but if you look at the results of the some of the ladies here Phyto II gets their hair straight. I think someone here uses Phyto I as their texturizer, but you can almost use any mild relaxer as a texturizer if you leave it on for 5-10 minutes.

HTH

bluediamond0829

so just to get this straight..because i just purchased phyto I..because my hair is fine...would this compare more to like a kiddie or mild relaxer?...and the phyto II compare to like a regular or super relaxer...it doesnot take much to get my hair straight so im hoping that the phyto I will do...if not then i guess i'll be getting the next time the phyto II...

divinefavor

bluediamond0829 said:
so just to get this straight..because i just purchased phyto I..because my hair is fine...would this compare more to like a kiddie or mild relaxer?...and the phyto II compare to like a regular or super relaxer...it doesnot take much to get my hair straight so im hoping that the phyto I will do...if not then i guess i'll be getting the next time the phyto II...

I have fine hair and it doesn't take much for my hair to get straight. I am considering buying the Phyto for my next touch up which will be in December at 6 months post (if I can make it that long :) ). I would like to know if Index I is best for me too.

Bluediamond0829 - please keep me posted when you do your touchup.

bluediamond0829

divinefavor said:
I have fine hair and it doesn't take much for my hair to get straight. I am considering buying the Phyto for my next touch up which will be in December at 6 months post (if I can make it that long :) ). I would like to know if Index I is best for me too.

Bluediamond0829 - please keep me posted when you do your touchup.

i will let u know...november will be my 6 months post...i have like a 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch of new growth...

ichephren

I use Phyto I and my hair is fine and REALLY easy to straighten(it got straight with the eluence gentle), but my hair still comes out texturized with the phyto. I plan to do a touchup this weekend, maybe I'll post pics.

divinefavor

ichephren - I don't think I want the texturized look though. Maybe I should purchase the Index II or just stick to my ORS Olive Relaxer. I would love to see your pictures when you do your touch up.

L

lkg4healthyhair

bluediamond0829 said:

I have never used a kiddie relaxer so I can not compare, but Phyto is for Mild hair so yes it would compare to a mild relaxer.

My hair is very fine and I used Phyto I for 20 mins and it was not bone straight. That is what I wanted at the time so it was fine. The pic in my avatar was after getting my first phyto at a dominican salon and she blowdried my roots.

If you want straight hair (like with a regular relaxer) Phyto II may be what you want.

HTH

bluediamond0829

thanks for the information..i guess i'll just have to see how it does my hair because im use to using kiddie relaxers..but most people say that they are about the same as using a regular relaxer anyway...and ive already purchased and have the phyto I..and cant sent it back because i ordered off of ebay...

cocoberry10

bluediamond0829 so just to get this straight..because i just purchased phyto I..because my hair is fine...would this compare more to like a kiddie or mild relaxer?...and the phyto II compare to like a regular or super relaxer...it doesnot take much to get my hair straight so im hoping that the phyto I will do...if not then i guess i'll be getting the next time the phyto II... [/QUOTE said:
divinefavor said:

I have fine 4a/b hair. Currently, I am wearing braids, but will remove them in the next few weeks. I plan to order the Phyto I, because my strands may be in more delicate shape after resting from relaxers for 4 months and wearing braids for 2 more (6 months relaxer stretch). Contrary to popular belief, "kiddie perms" are actually stronger than, or at least equal in strength to "regular" perms. This is because "kiddie perm" manufacturers assume that most people using them are going to be children getting first-time relaxers, and our hair is more resistant in first time relaxers.

See BlackHairMedia entry:
Did you know that just for me kiddie perm has a higher ph than MOST of the adult perms mentioned?! (from http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1264) See weaveitup's entries. She also mentions which perms have the highest ph's and gives great info on that.

Anyway, back to Phyto. I think that Phyto I is what I will try. You can always go to a milder perm, and if you don't like it, return to the stronger perm. It's like when you get a relaxer that doesn't take. You just wait it out, and then get another one.

by the way, sorry so long.

bluediamond0829

cocoberry10 said:
I have fine 4a/b hair. Currently, I am wearing braids, but will remove them in the next few weeks. I plan to order the Phyto I, because my strands may be in more delicate shape after resting from relaxers for 4 months and wearing braids for 2 more (6 months relaxer stretch). Contrary to popular belief, "kiddie perms" are actually stronger than, or at least equal in strength to "regular" perms. This is because "kiddie perm" manufacturers assume that most people using them are going to be children getting first-time relaxers, and our hair is more resistant in first time relaxers.

Did you know that just for me kiddie perm has a higher ph than MOST of the adult perms mentioned?! (from http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1264) See weaveitup's entries. She also mentions which perms have the highest ph's and gives great info on that.

Anyway, back to Phyto. I think that Phyto I is what I will try. You can always go to a milder perm, and if you don't like it, return to the stronger perm. It's like when you get a relaxer that doesn't take. You just wait it out, and then get another one.

by the way, sorry so long.

thanks for the info...i did hear this before and alot of stylist that ive been to will tell u up front that kiddie relaxers are just regular relaxers....

MissYocairis

***TO EVERYONE*** :D

Okay, so, I've read a lot of women are concerned with hair type and wave vs. straight as the basis for their choice. My question is, can anyone tell me if "TEXTURIZING" is, overall, healthier for our hair than all-out relaxing? Or, does texturizing break down the hair to a point that makes it nearly or just as damaging as the straight look?

Secondly, can I as a straight Phase II user, switch to texturizing with Phase I safely or is switching to something milder a bad thing because I would then have competing textures on my head? Has anyone ever done this?

Lastly, if Phase I is considered "MILD" by other relaxer standards, how is it that Phase II can straighten the hair of people who have extremely resistant hair? There is no Phase III. And, is a kiddie kit = in strength to a "MILD" or a "REGULAR" relaxer? :confused:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

So according to that info in the black hair media forum, Curl Free Natural Curl relaxer is better than PHyto I AND II, since it has the lowest PH of 7.6??So I wonder why noone has tried this yet.

MissYocairis

BeautifulWideEyes said:
So according to that info in the black hair media forum, Curl Free Natural Curl relaxer is better than PHyto I AND II, since it has the lowest PH of 7.6??So I wonder why noone has tried this yet.

Hey BWE, can you share a link to that forum? I'd like to read that info. I am a "PH"-Learning disabled person. I don't understand the concept of why a lower ph automatically means better. Can someone explain what the higher levels cause in our hair that makes it bad? :huh:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

CantBeCopied said:
Hey BWE, can you share a link to that forum? I'd like to read that info. I am a "PH"-Learning disabled person. I don't understand the concept of why a lower ph automatically means better. Can someone explain what the higher levels cause in our hair that makes it bad? :huh:
The link is in Coccoberry 10 post.

MissYocairis

cocoberry10 said:

****PASSING OUT**** :angry2: :cry3: :whyme: :shocked: OPTIMUM CARE is a 13.2!!!!!????? NO WONDER I had fried hair for the last 5 years!?!?! Their name is a LIE! I am so disgusted and SO happy I found LHCF!

cocoberry10

CantBeCopied said:

It's better, b/c the natural PH of our hair is 7.5 (I think, double check that). When we relax, it can bring the PH of our hair up to 14 (Not good at all). So, the relaxers w/lower PH's will bring our PH up, but not that much (It can go from 7.5 to 9, instead of 7.5 to 13 or 14.

MissYocairis

Faith said:
Thanks. So it's kind of high too. Or is this average I wonder.

I was wondering this too Faith. And then, I remembered something I read in that pH article someone posted the link to earlier. Though Phyto is only 2 points less on the pH scale than say, DRAINO, it still is a great improvement in toxicity and damage done to one's hair because each pH point represents some ridiculous spread. Read below:

A one point difference in pH’s could have a significant impact on your hair A product with a pH of 13 is 10 times more alkaline than a product with a pH of 12. This same product would be 100 times more alkaline than a product with a pH of 11. The pH levels even tend to vary among the same products from batch to batch. A relaxer that worked great for you the last time you touched up, may cause more damage to your hair the next time you use it. It’s worth noting that the pH balance of Liquid Drano is 13.3.

Faith

The pH levels even tend to vary among the same products from batch to batch. A relaxer that worked great for you the last time you touched up, may cause more damage to your hair the next time you use it. It’s worth noting that the pH balance of Liquid Drano is 13.3
This just makes me want to go back to natural (lol), which I have been considering. Hm! Thanks for the info.

Last edited: