Perming too Soon (Good or Bad)

Needmyhairtogrow

Hello ladies I am throwing a question out there to all of you ladies. When is perming too soon? I've honestly have seen a tremendous growth with my hair in the past 3 to 4 months, seriously doubling my growth. In the past I could hold a perm for 3 to 4 months before needing a touch-up. Since I've taken the advice from many of you WONDERFUL women on this site my hair growth rate has improved dramatically. Now I'm needing a touch-up every month I'm trying to stretch it to at least 1 1/2 to 2 months, but it's getting very difficult to go that long.

Have any of you ladies experience tremendous growth that your questioning weather perming too close to each other is damaging your hair or not (perming 1 to 2 months at a time)? Please help

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Well instead of measuring time for touchups maybe you should consider touching up according to how much newgrowth you have. If you are getting 2 to 3 months of newgrowth in a month then you probably will need to touchup sooner.

If I were getting 3-4 months of newgrowth in a month, I would touchup in a month. :yep:

Needmyhairtogrow

I just don't want to touch-up and become bald, by having so much chemicals in my hair. It's hard to hold out because I hate nappiness. You probably have something measure according to length not time.

hOnii

dontspeakdefeat said:
Well instead of measuring time for touchups maybe you should consider touching up according to how much newgrowth you have. If you are getting 2 to 3 months of newgrowth in a month then you probably will need to touchup sooner.

If I were getting 3-4 months of newgrowth in a month, I would touchup in a month. :yep:

i agree! its not so much the amount of time you wait, but how much new growth you have to relax. i'd say to go ahead and get the perm when you find it getting impossible to wait any longer, or when your hair starts breaking because you need one.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Needmyhairtogrow said:
I just don't want to touch-up and become bald, by having so much chemicals in my hair. It's hard to hold out because I hate nappiness. You probably have something measure according to length not time.

Overlapping is what cause problems not the amount of time we wait. I think people who relax too often run into problems because they only have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of newgrowth and there is not much difference between the newgrowth and the previously relaxed hair. If you get 1 1/2 inches or more in a month you should be able to tell where the demarcation line is.

L

LaNecia

I totally agree w/DSD!! If you wait too long, depending on the texture of your natural hair vs. the relaxed hair, you could start getting a lot of breakage which would make us all :cry3:!

I think the time method of spacing out relaxers is largely dependent on how fast your hair grows, how strong it is at the line of demarcation & your handling and maintenance of your hair and I'm sure other factors.

It's all about what works for your hair! If I were getting that much growth with no breakage or shedding, I'd wait it out just to see how long I could hold out for but...(I wear my hair up most of the time so it wouldn't matter for ME)!

Congrats on the growth!!

Needmyhairtogrow

Thanks ladies I really appreciate the advice, I'm at the stage right now where I'm experiencing shedding and it's iritating when I'm combing my hair. I shed when it's time for a perm and baby it's time. It's getting to the point where blow drying it not straightening it out it's making it puffy.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Needmyhairtogrow said:
Thanks ladies I really appreciate the advice, I'm at the stage right now where I'm experiencing shedding and it's iritating when I'm combing my hair. I shed when it's time for a perm and baby it's time. It's getting to the point where blow drying it not straightening it out it's making it puffy.
A girl has got to do what a girl has got to do!!

star

Needmyhairtogrow said:
Your hairdresser should only be applying the perm to your roots. I would recommend getting it done professionally to make sure only the new growth is done. This should lessen any type of over processing and/or breakage. :)