Perming at 6 weeks???

classi123

Who has done it with good results? I am soo tempted my NG is out of this world. Im going to wash n set and treat and make them blow out the roots to see if I can hold off til 8 weeks!:perplexed

well normally most ppl would say thats too soon to relax, but if you have more than an inch of new growth...i don't see the harm...I would try and stretch till 8 weeks though.

I think that I got about 3/4 of an inch. Its just that my hair is growing in so thick and coarse. I feel that it is breaking because it it. I guess I will wait until 8 weeks.

Hey! I know friends (who are not apart of this board) who relax every six weeks, sometimes even sooner. I personally used to stretch 3-4 months but I now go to only 8 weeks because anything beyond that results in critical damage on my hair. I think its all about what you want. I would tell you to hold off another two weeks by wearing your hair pulled back or with low-maintenance hair styles. But if you feel you must, I say go ahead because sometimes we wreak more damage on our hair by stretching.

I just relaxed @ 7 weeks. I normally do 10 weeks, but I've been using Ovation so my NG was out of control. I say let your hair tell you when its time to be relaxed. I think the point of the stretching craze was to change mindsets on the need to relax when ever you see a tiny weeny bit of NG.

I used to relax at 6 weeks with no problems... If you have *enough* new growth and you cannot wait any longer, go for it! Be sure not to overlap!

i would never relax at anything under 4 months. but thats just me. i know some pple cant go that long. i had a stylist try to relax me every month and my hair got so thin that i almost cried myself to sleep. its been about 7 months since i've relaxed and my hair never breaks since i started washing every week and co washing once a week. i luv my hair and i may never relax again.
with that said, you have to listen and pay attention to what your hair wants

i did it for years and never had any problems. i think people's only issue with doing it at 6 weeks is not having enough new growth. but you sound like you do, so i say go for it.

i did it for years and never had any problems. i think people's only issue with doing it at 6 weeks is not having enough new growth. but you sound like you do, so i say go for it.

Yeah, what she said. So make sure the stylist doesn't overlap or it'll result in even more issues.

I heard that's not good, I wouldn't want to take the risk, because you could get burns and your hair could fall out. I would wait.

I heard that's not good, I wouldn't want to take the risk, because you could get burns and your hair could fall out. I would wait.

You can get burns and you hair can fall out anytime you apply chemicals, even if you wait 6 months.

I did it all the time before joining here and it wasn't a problem per se. My issues arose from not having knowledge on how to truly care for my hair.

I relax my hair based on the amount of newgrowth I've obtained and not just on the amount of time that has passed.

When I'm on my vites and my reggie good, I may have 8-10 weeks worth of newgrowth in a 6 week period...it's time to relax...

Good luck to you!

i jus relaxed my hair(pix in fotki).... first stretch was 20 weeks. this one was 13 weeks. I think the difference was because I was really taking care of my hair so my new growth was WICKED!! I hope I dont go any sooner on my next relaxer.

Hi there

I relax my hair every 6-8 weeks. If I don't want to stretch to 8 weeks then I go ahead and relax at 6 weeks with no problems at all.

I used to relax at 6 weeks with no problems... If you have *enough* new growth and you cannot wait any longer, go for it! Be sure not to overlap!

Yup, me too. I dont do it anymore since I've learned to stretch a little longer which is really 8-10 wks which probably wouldn't even be considered a "stretch" to most.

Well I went and got a wash n set and of course the stylist said I need to touch up, But I told her to just wash condition and blow my roots, my hair actually came out softer and more manageble so I decided im going to hold off on getting the perm, until 8 weeks or until I cant manage the new growth anymore...:grin:

Thanks ladies!!

I relax my hair based on the amount of newgrowth I've obtained and not just on the amount of time that has passed.

When I'm on my vites and my reggie good, I may have 8-10 weeks worth of newgrowth in a 6 week period...it's time to relax...

Good luck to you!

That makes sense.

Being that I am afraid of my hair being overlapped, I am going to stretch it the most I can. I was overprocessed my last perm. So I have to be careful!!

Being that I am afraid of my hair being overlapped, I am going to stretch it the most I can. I was overprocessed my last perm. So I have to be careful!!

Go get a roller set, It will smooth out your new growth a lot. ITA with Dlewis, stretching is not for everyone, as long as your not overlapping ( I relax every 12 weeks and I overlapp like a ****, not on purpurse though).

Last edited:
Who has done it with good results? I am soo tempted my NG is out of this world. Im going to wash n set and treat and make them blow out the roots to see if I can hold off til 8 weeks!:perplexed

I have, but my hair is in decent condition. As long as it's conditioned/rinsed well, you shouldn't have a problem.

Back