Perm not working amymore!!

blessed

Perm not working anymore!!

I need advise ladies. About a month and half ago I put a precise relaxer in my hair which didn't take. I still had new gowth and waves. Because my hair texture is hard to manage with out a perm I had to put braids in. So after I took my braids out a I tried putting another perm in and still it did not take. I tried leaving it in a little longer still nothing. I am wondering has my hair just started rejecting this type of perm and maybe I should try another kind. Has anyone had this problem before? What have you done.

Last edited:

kandegirl

How long did you wait after taking down your braids before your relaxer?
If you put on a relaxer too soon that may have been the problem. I've also noticed that with better haircare, my perms don't take as well as they used to anymore especially when I have a lot of new growth. So maybe next time wait a few weeks after your braids and do your relaxer and try a stronger one. I use Mizani sensitive and it works pretty well. The regular Mizani straightens well too.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Maybe it's the kind of relaxer you're using. I've been advised by my mom to give up the relaxers. They just don't last on my hair anymore. MTG and Surge has pretty much made sure of that. My advice to you is that you let a pro apply the relaxer if u can't get it the way you want. Hope all works out for you.

KiniKakes

That's interesting. My last relaxer didnt take either. I use a mild relaxer, and that's usually fine. But this time some of my roots were still wavy/curly. I attributed that to the fact that I had a LOT of new growth, and also had been using products (MTG, etc.) up until a few days before the relaxer, without washing out. It wasnt a big deal, so i didnt do anything about it. But since that time i've had braids.... and it will be about a 18 week stretch when i get my next touch-up. So i figured that next time i would make sure my hair is product free, and quite possibly use a regular....? I wanna make sure all that new growth is straightened out, for my next progress pictures!

jasmin

If my hair has a lot of oil the relaxer won't take. I have to watch my hair a day or 2 before relaxing.

KiniKakes said:
That's interesting. My last relaxer didnt take either. I use a mild relaxer, and that's usually fine. But this time some of my roots were still wavy/curly. I attributed that to the fact that I had a LOT of new growth, and also had been using products (MTG, etc.) up until a few days before the relaxer, without washing out. It wasnt a big deal, so i didnt do anything about it. But since that time i've had braids.... and it will be about a 18 week stretch when i get my next touch-up. So i figured that next time i would make sure my hair is product free, and quite possibly use a regular....? I wanna make sure all that new growth is straightened out, for my next progress pictures!

Very interesting this happened to me!!! I had to use Heat to get it straight

cat eyes

Precise relaxer doesn't relax your hair bone strait, this relaxer keeps your thickness in your hair, maybe you should try a differnet perm. I use Precise and I love it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
KiniKakes said:

I've just decided to long transition. My fave products like MTG and Surge makes my relaxers last only a short time. In a month's time it will look like I barely relaxed it. Ah well, I'm texlaxed again.:ohwell:

sareca

My relaxer stopped working as well because of porosity changes in my hair. Needless to say my hair was very porosity at the beginning of my journey. Meaning, it let things in more readily (like relaxers and dyes) and let things out more readily (like color and moisture) :( . Now it's normal so I have to make sure I first clarify and use Porosity Control to help it absorb the right amount of product.