"PANTENE made my HAIR FALL OUT!"

song_of_serenity

The girl whose hair fell out in handfuls when she tried her new Pantene shampoo

By Alison Smith Squire
Last updated at 9:00 AM on 15th February 2010

The advert shows TV presenter Myleene Klass playing the piano with her immaculate hair shimmering from root to tip. It is a display that convinced Sophie Peppercorn to try Pantene for the first time.
So she bought one of the shampoos which promised 'healthy looking hair in ten days' and could hardly wait to see the results.
But the 19-year- old administration assistant was left distraught the first time she used the shampoo when clumps of hair came out in the shower, leaving her with bald patches.

Horror: Left, Sophie prior to trying the shampoo out... and right, Sophie after her hair fell out in clumps when she tried the new product

Last night Miss Peppercorn wept as she described what happened. 'As I showered the bubbles from my hair I could feel a lot of it in my hands,' she said.
'But it was only when I patted my hair dry with a towel and looked in the mirror, that I realised the extent of the hair damage. My hairline had receded several inches where my hair had broken off at the roots. Meanwhile, the rest of my hair was so damaged and frizzy it was breaking off in handfuls. I was so devastated, I broke down in tears.'
When Miss Peppercorn, from Peterborough, called the Pantene helpline to complain she was offered a £5 Pantene voucher in compensation.
The Pantene helpline offered Miss Peppercorn a £5 voucher, she says

'Incredibly, they seem to think I will want to buy another bottle,' she said.
'I had seen the ads with Myleene Klass in them and obviously she has beautiful hair. So I thought I'd treat myself to her shampoo and see what it could do for me.
'I was excited about trying it. But I haven't stopped crying since.'
Miss Peppercorn went on to the internet and found many reports from women claiming that their hair fell out in similar circumstances.
She said: 'Many claim that a type of chemical wax, called sodium laureth sulphate, found in this and other shampoos is to blame.'
Miss Peppercorn also saw her GP who found no 'physical reason' for her hair to fall out. She is now wearing a wig to work and hoping her hair will grow back.
Chairman of the Institute of Trichologists-Marilyn Sherlock said sudden hair loss was not uncommon especially in younger women 'due to dieting and stressful busy lifestyles' and can appear to be because of a particular product.
She added: 'But quite often it's just a coincidence and could have happened with any shampoo.'
The bottle of shampoo has been returned to Pantene for analysis. A spokesman for Procter and Gamble, which makes Pantene, said: 'Consumer safety is our number one priority.
'Pantene is completely safe to use and is the leading product on the market as voted by thousands of women who buy and use our product every day.'

song_of_serenity

Her hair looked thin/unhealthy before.
Wonder what her edges were like prior!
Could someone have slipped nair in the bottle (or would it have affected her entire head)
Pantene is wrong for that voucher for more product!

Any thoughts?

illustrioussplendor

That's totally insensitive for the company to offer a voucher, before further investigating the situation. If several women have had the same issue they need to recall the product.

TLC1020

Damn... I would be mad as he**... I don't like pantene products anyway, it made my hair hard.. Especially the one they advertise for women of color..... :nono:

757diva

The one for women of color smells straight up like perfume. It made mi hair hard as ever ugh I hate pantene products

melissa-bee

£5 voucher, they're taking the piss. What so we need to be doing patch tests before we use a new shampoo now?

BlkOnyx488

I had a bad episode with a pantene product when I was kid. I will never use their line.

I hate the way people pretend not to understand how devasting it is to lose your hair. I really feel for this girl but I do have one question about the bolded.

'I had seen the ads with Myleene Klass in them and obviously she has beautiful hair. So I thought I'd treat myself to her shampoo and see what it could do for me.

Did she really believe the model in the commercial actually used that crap for real?
I watch those commercial with Heather Locklear, Eve Langoria, and so on and on all claiming to "color" their hair at home, and do their own hair with cheapie products, and I just roll my eyes like yeah right!

Has anyone here purchased a product because a paid hollywood star said it worked?

The bottle of shampoo has been returned to Pantene for analysis.
And this right here is super shady. I would have sent that bottle to John Hopkins to be analyzed, I wonder what Pantene will report :(

Last edited:

MusicandWine

A £5 voucher - are they having a laugh?

I love that line. :lachen:

Her hair didn't really look healthy in the before photo. But Pantene needs to take things like this seriously. More people need to get on this no chemical/minimal chemical products for hair and body thing.

LushLox

I had a bad episode with a pantene product when I was kid. I will never use their line.

I hate the way people pretend not to understand how devasting it is to lose your hair. I really feel for this girl but I do have one question about the bolded.

Did she really believe the model in the commercial actually used that crap for real?
I watch those commercial with Heather Locklear, Eve Langoria, and so on and on all claiming to "color" their hair at home, and do their own hair with cheapie products, and I just roll my eyes like yeah right!

Has anyone here purchased a product because a paid hollywood star said it worked?

And this right here is super shady. I would have sent that bottle to John Hopkins to be analyzed, I wonder what Pantene will report
:(

Hell NO! Have you seen Myleene Klass' hair? I'd be very surprised if she uses that brand exclusively! :lol:

She may as well forget hearing anything positive back from Pantene, if she's lucky they might double the voucher to £10. :look:

I love that line. :lachen:

Her hair didn't really look healthy in the before photo. But Pantene needs to take things like this seriously. More people need to get on this no chemical/minimal chemical products for hair and body thing.

It's a typical British type of comment! :grin:

Yeah her hair looked fried to death in that first picture, but still it's a damn shame she had to lose her hair like that. :nono:

Last edited:

Shoediva

This is so wrong! Pantene need their arse whooped for that response. It doesnt matter if her hair was damaged prior to using Pantene's shampoo, product should not have resulted in her hair falling out in clumps like that after 10 days of use :nono:

Companies rely on the public to assume a particular celebrity is using their product in hopes this will increase sales. She is 19, she still has typical teen thought process.

Pantene is a big sponsor of the Wendy Williams show and they just flew a AA Mother of 4 from Arizona to NY for a Pantene hair makover yesterday. The reveal is today. I hope her hair doesnt end up the with the same results!

supermodelsonya

Uh ladies...don't drink the koolaide.

There is more to this story....

People have done a lot worse to get money out of companies.

There's something not right here...

Emoniegirl03

:rolleyes:

Team Pantene:yep:

Lol I co-sign I love Pantene Especially the relaxed and natural line. Leaves my hair soft and smell good. I'm weary about this womans claim pictures looks like her hair was cut and shaved. If she washed her whole head would it all break off or all thin out? no just certain spots? idk i gotta look into this claim

and they advertise giving your money back for any complaints, thats why they gave her a voucher. I dont think they are being insensitive . she sent the bottle back and now they are investigating it standard procedure

NIN4eva

Hair loss like that is absolutely nothing to make light of, but there is definitely something sketchy about those before and after photos.

However, I've read horror stories over the years of people who've had issues/hair loss with Pantene products; particularly the relaxed and natural line. I can't use the Pantene at all. And I've tried because I LOVE the smell, but the quality is garbage.

brucebettye

I feel sorry for the lady losing so much of her hair, but I can understand Pantene checking out her claims. In this ecomony people will do anything for money. I have tried many different shampoos and my hair has never fallen out like that. When I used to get bad perms my hair would fall out like that.

Junebug D

I know. And then she blamed it on SLS, which is in pretty much every non-natural shampoo... :look:

And then it looks like it ripped off her hairline alone? :look: I can believe the repeated use probably caused the dryness and breakage, but the ripped-off hairline? Nah. :lachen:

ceebee3

Wow, that's scary. I feel bad for her.

I love the regular Pantene products especially the masks and the leave ins.

I've never tried the relaxed and natural line.

Barbie83

That's what I'm saying! Like do people really believe Beyonce dyes her hair with Feria?? I mean come on people (it's a lace front anyways)....:rolleyes:

I feel bad for the girl tho...I would be devastated and boiling mad! :mad:

Misseyl

Her hair looked thin/unhealthy before.
Wonder what her edges were like prior!
Could someone have slipped nair in the bottle (or would it have affected her entire head)
Pantene is wrong for that voucher for more product!

Any thoughts?

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. Her hair is no way healthy before.

theLovelyStyle

Wow I discontinued to use their products a long time ago. I used to use the relaxed n natural set.....and the only thing it did was make my hair smell good...other than it it left it coated, weighed down, wet, and dry...lol (wet when i applied and dry when it dried)