Paging Sweetcocoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy

Hi! Thanks for your comments on my pictures!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif I just looked at yours, and your hair is really beautiful!! Did you really get that much growth in just one year???!! (I'm talking about from the pics from Feb. 2002, when your hair was chin length, to the 2003 pics where it's below your shoulders) Heck, I want to know your secrets!!!/images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Lindy

Sweet Cocoa, Where are you??? Pls. respond...

(I'm Just bumping this post up to the top...)

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sweetcocoa

Sorry girl! I do have a job...lol...anyways, yes I did. I think keeping it moisturized(rinsing daily in the summer) at least 3 times week followed by just wearing it up or back in a loose ponytail in my natural curls(and using my pomade on wet hair along with my leave-ins makes a big difference. I have it straight today and already I notice my hair is not as moisturised as when I wear it in curls. I also never ever blowdry anymore or use a curling iron. The only heat I get is when I do a wet set(which are getting further and further apart as my hair grows). I also feel that for me personally(even with the knowledge I gained here)relaxers don't work for me....and now I see I really didn't need one.

Lindy

WOW!!! You are so lucky that your natural hair is so curly and beautiful that you don't need to get a relaxer. I don't even want to imagine what mine would look like natural. I would need to press it, for sure.

I truly think that if we all stopped using heat in our hair, we would achieve a lot more growth. That is going to be my new goal for 2003 - to use as little heat on my hair as possible.

Thanks for the info.!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BrightEyes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Lindy said:
WOW!!! You are so lucky that your natural hair is so curly and beautiful that you don't need to get a relaxer. I don't even want to imagine what mine would look like natural. I would need to press it, for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

No one truly NEEDS a relaxer or a press and curl. The "need" for straight hair is purely mental. It's not a true physical need.

I happen to love my 4a hair, thanks.

Lindy

Sorry Midoria,

My bad!! Of course, you are right. The need for straightened hair is definitely a mental thing. I haven't seen my hair in it's natural state since I was about 12 yrs. old, which I guess is unfortunate, in the opinion of some. What's right for me may not be right for you, and vice versa.

OK; now that you've /images/graemlins/spank.gif me.... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

pebbles

No one truly NEEDS a relaxer or a press and curl. The "need" for straight hair is purely mental. It's not a true physical need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brighteyes,

I'm not sure what you mean by it's a mental thing to want a relaxer or a press and curl. Do you mean that some feel a need to wear a relaxer or press and curl just to have or see their hair straight? I would imagine that the decision to wear your hair in any style is a mental one. I think it all boils down to what you feel like doing with your hair at a particular given time.

I've gone from natural, to a curl perm, to natural again, to a relaxer, to natural again, etc. For me, it's just a mood. Sometimes I want to be natural and sometimes I want to be relaxed. But no matter how I wear my hair, I love my combination 4a/b hair. I think it looks beautiful any way I choose to wear it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Sweetcocoa,

Please forgive me if you have answered this question before. I wanted to know if you just use a conditioner to rinse your hair daily during the summer months? Or do you just rinse with water? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm trying to plan my strategy now for the summer months. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crysdon

Big Ups to Pebbles for her tactful dialogue /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

I think it looks beautiful any way I choose to wear it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BrightEyes

pebbles said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brighteyes,

I'm not sure what you mean by it's a mental thing to want a relaxer or a press and curl. Do you mean that some feel a need to wear a relaxer or press and curl just to have or see their hair straight? I would imagine that the decision to wear your hair in any style is a mental one. I think it all boils down to what you feel like doing with your hair at a particular given time.

I've gone from natural, to a curl perm, to natural again, to a relaxer, to natural again, etc. For me, it's just a mood. Sometimes I want to be natural and sometimes I want to be relaxed. But no matter how I wear my hair, I love my combination 4a/b hair. I think it looks beautiful any way I choose to wear it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant exactly what I said. No one NEEDS to straighten their hair. There is no true need to wear your hair straight. There is only desire.

pebbles

I meant exactly what I said. No one NEEDS to straighten their hair. There is no true need to wear your hair straight. There is only desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said for wearing your hair natural. No one NEEDS to wear their hair natural. There is only a desire to do so for what ever reason the individual chooses. And the desire to wear your hair straight is fine. Even naturals wear their hair straight sometimes. If I remember correctly, even you use a flat iron on occasion to straighten your hair, at least that's what I saw in some of your pictures. The whole point is that the desire, or the need, or whatever you want to call it, is fine. If you choose to do it for a day, that's fine. If others choose to wear it for years or permanently, that's fine too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think that should be o.k with everybody.

BrightEyes

pebbles said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The same could be said for wearing your hair natural. No one NEEDS to wear their hair natural. There is only a desire to do so for what ever reason the individual chooses. And the desire to wear your hair straight is fine. Even naturals wear their hair straight sometimes. If I remember correctly, even you use a flat iron on occasion to straighten your hair, at least that's what I saw in some of your pictures. So on occasion, a lot of women wear their hair straight. The whole point is that the desire, or the need, or whatever you want to call it, is fine. If you choose to do it for a day, that's fine. If others choose to wear it for years or permanently, that's fine too! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think that should be o.k with everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pebbles, to be honest I am not interested in debatating this with you. And I'm not about to defend my choices or explain my mindset. I commented on something another poster said, she clarified what she meant, and that is that. You asked me a question and then proceeded into a very uneeded rant. I answered your question in a few short sentances for a reason.

You are the one "taking it there", and I'm not willing to go there with you. This thread is supposed to be about Sweetcocoa's hair, not about choices. FYI, I just didn't like the fact that Lindy felt that she would be unattractive without a relaxer. It hurts me to hear women talk like that in general. And I'm sorry that I have an issue with that.

I'm opinionated and curious, so I always have a comment or question in mind. But that doesn't mean that everytime I make a statement I am asking for a whole long debate. If you pay attention to my posts, I don't question other people's choices unless I feel something is offensive, ignorant, or just plain confusing. This is one of those times.

Send me a PM if this topic is that imporant to you. But please stop ranting about something that I never questioned in the first place.

LuvableLady

Pebbles,

I think she’s on to something here. Yes, I like straight hair and curly hair. However, for me, relaxing my hair was a mental thing, it was something that I felt I had to do. It was as common as taking a bath. I don’t need a relaxer and I used one for years and years thinking I had to.

I love bright eyes hair. IMO, natural straighten hair (with a flat iron) looks healthier then chemically straighten hair.

We have beautiful hair and I’m so happy I broke the mental cycle I had going. There is nothing wrong with relaxing, but I don’t need one and they tore my hair up year after year because I mentally programmed in my mind that it was something I had to do. There are other ways that I can temporarily straighten my hair if I want a mood change.

It does hurt when I hear people talking about how hard their new growth is. It wouldn’t be hard if it weren’t for the chemical buildup on the scalp.

We’ve got the most beautiful hair in the world, full of body and curls, we don’t even realize it. Neither did I until recently.

sweetcocoa

pebbles said:
Sweetcocoa,

Please forgive me if you have answered this question before. I wanted to know if you just use a conditioner to rinse your hair daily during the summer months? Or do you just rinse with water? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm trying to plan my strategy now for the summer months. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey girl...no problem...conditioner washes don't work for me so I rinsed daily(or nightly). But this summer I'm gonna try NayNay's idea of putting conditioner on the length then shampooing the scalp. I've done this for 2 weeks now and so far I really like it.

pebbles

I'm unclear about what you say I'm "ranting" about? I will not send you a PM. I will tell you what I have to say right here, and you will just have to deal with that.

You seem to have an issue with relaxers, or people who choose to relax their hair, that you are barely able to conceal. I don't recall asking you to explain your mindset. Whatever it is, you have a right to it. However, you do not have the right to respond in such an unpleasant manner. If I had been unpleasant to you, your last post would have been justified.

If you post on any thread on this forum, you must be prepared for the possibility that you will receive questions or comments about it.

The original post was between Sweetcocoa and Lindy. You jumped in and commented on a post that was not directed at you; therefore proving my previous point.

It's a good thing that you're not willing to "take it there" as you stated. I wouldn't recommend that you do. I am not interested in taking anything anywhere with you. Perhaps your very "opinionated and curious" way, has been able to intimidate people you've come across up 'till now. Unfortunately for you, I don't fall into that catagory.

I would advise you to choose your battles wisely.

As a moderator, I do have options available to me in dealing with different situations that may come up on this board. Should the need arise, I will do so. If you would like to continue to enjoy posting on this forum, keep a civil tone to your replies.

My hope is that every member of this forum enjoys their time here, and can respond in kind to posts made on this forum. You are bound to read things that you may not agree with. You will just have to deal with that in an adult fashion, and not throw a temper tantrum because someone sees things differently than you do. I cannot imagine that I could have said anything to provoke such a nasty tirade from you.

Now, should YOU have any further comments or would like to discuss this issue further, YOU may send a PM and take this up with me directly. This conversation is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.