paging naturals-- pressing question

deborah11

do any of you press your hair on a regular basis. if so how often do u press and what is our regime? how long does the press last? do u get it professionally pressed or do u do it yourself? finally, how long have u been pressing and have u noticed a change in the texture of your hair as a result of pressing? sorry for all the questions. i am trying to determine the best route to take for the rest of my transition. thanks

Lucia

I don't press often 2-4x/year max but when I do I do it myself I only get it done professionally if I need an updo or something and I go there with my hair already washed and detangled and sectioned, so they don't rip out my hair w/ a thin comb. I use a ceramic flat iron with setting dial,frizz eaze before drying and proclaim glosser afterward.
hth

Nina_deF

I'm having the same questions as deborah and am wondering which is the best flatiron?
I'm about to buy one ( they are really expensive) and I was wondering Jilbere, Chi, Hi, babylyss, WHICH ONE WILL ACTUALLY work on our hair? Is a small one better on natural hair for getting at the roots?
Maybe a curling iron is better?
Help!
I'm
in options!

Tgirl

I would like to know the same thing. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to work.

skegeesmb

I flatiron my hair for updates in my photo album (which is usually once a month). I use a jilbere flatiron, it gets my hair very straight. I don't know about the other irons though. I have 3C/4A hair and it works well for me.

I got my hair professionally pressed during my transition period every four weeks. I transitioned for two and a half years. Once the relaxed ends were gone, I started alternating between natural and pressed. I haven't pressed my hair since June of 2001, and I have noticed a significant amount of growth.

babyblue

I havent pressed my hair in about 7 months now, but when i did it was done every 2-3 weeks at the salon. Its only within the past 2 yrs i discovered i can do my own hair and i started pressing it myself. In the beginning i was using the old fashioned stove pressing comb, but last year i discovered the ceramic flat iron which i find is better because the old pressing combs have the tendency to pull the hair out. the flat iron is better cause u can control the settings reducing the risk of burning your hair plus it glides through smoother and doesnt pull the hair.
if you do decide to press yourself use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner followed by leave in and add pressing creme to damp hair. detangle and blow dry with a comb attachment to make the hair smooth, then use your hot comb or flat iron to finish. dont overdo it on the heat because it can cause your hair to be limp and remain straight in some places.

leejure

I get my hair pressed professionally ONLY. I do it maybe once every two months or on special occassions.

-lee