Paging Brown Relaxed Hair

babyblue113

I saw your picture from the May 2003 feature of the month and I love your hair. I see that you do rollersets and wanted to know your procedure for doing them. What products do you use, what type of dryer and rollers do you use and what is your technique for doing a roller set, I've never done one before. Also, how do you keep your roots looking smooth and straight witout the use of a curling iron or blowdryer when doing a roller set.

If anyone else knows how I can get my roots looking smooth when doing a roller set please let me know. thanks.

Hi!

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was away for a couple of days.

I use the magnetic rollars. They are the smooth plastic ones with holes all over. I use the grey ones and purple for my bangs. I also use the silver clips to secure each rollar end. They are the same ones used at Dominican salons.

For me, what first helps is using a great conditioner that detangles well. I like Loreal Unfrizz Smoothing Treatment ALOT. Leave ins for me vary. These days I put Keracare Silken Seal serum on the ends. This helps the hair dry smooth. Sometimes I'll use New Image Damage Free (a heat protectant) or some of the same rinse out conditioner all over esp. on ends.

Amillion from this board had a fantastic step by step rollar setting guide that helped me so much. It detailed how to section the hair. I basically do the front rollar forward for the bangs. Then do a row working from front/forehead back to the nape of the neck. Then at the front sides, I section the hair down to the ear and do the hairline area with 3 rollars, rolling downwards. The key is to keep the hair wet all the time so it lies flat on each rollar and putting the pins in with the rollar very taught. Its tricky and fiddly but well worth doing
I don't use anything to keep roots flat. After removing the rollars (I sit under an inflatable hood that's attached to the nozzle of a hand held dryer), I spritz with Isoplus Hair Spray and wrap covering with a satin scarf. After a few hours (overnight usually) the hais is flat.

The key though is making sure the hair lies flat and smooth on each rollar, making sure the hair stays wet. Keep a spray gun with distilled water handy. Use a rats tail comb to comb each section from the very root to tip to 'lift' each hair section to its maximum length before rolling.

I'd also suggest having a wash and set done at a Dominican salon, the real rollarsetting masters. See how they do it and remember that while doing your own hair. The pattern of sectioning the hair is nearly always the same.

Hope this helps. If anyone has Amillion's rollarsetting guide please let Babyblue know
(That guide should be posted permanently on this site somewhere!)