Oprah's open letter to her 19 year old self

gn1g

I like it! However at 19 you are not likely to really listen to the elders.

Dear beautiful brown-skinned girl,
I look into your eyes and see the light and hope of myself.
In this photo you are just about to turn 20, posing outside the television station where you were recently hired as a reporter. You’re proud of yourself for getting the job, but uncertain you’ll be able to manage all your college classes before 1 and arrive at the station by 1:30 for a full day’s work. Even so, your biggest concern is how to manage your love life with Bubba. Yes, you are dating someone named Bubba.
On this day you’ve brought him to the station to see where you work, hoping he’ll be proud, too. He seems less than impressed. The truth is, he’s intimidated. You don’t know this, though, because you can see yourself only through his eyes. A lesson you will have to learn again and again: to see yourself with your own eyes, to love yourself from your own heart.
You’ve spent too many days and years trying to please others and be what they wanted you to be. You will have to learn that the wounds of your past—rape, molestation, whippings for “stepping out of place,” and not being allowed to show anger or cry afterward—damaged your self-esteem. Yet through it all, you’ve held on to a belief in God and God’s belief in you.
That will be your single greatest gift: knowing there is a power greater than yourself and trusting that Force to guide you.
The trajectory of your life changed the day you answered the call from Chris Clark, the news director at WLAC-TV. Your response was ignited by the words of your then-favorite Bible verse, Philippians 3:14. “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
Knowing there is a “high calling” is what will sustain and fulfill you.
From where I sit now, viewing your journey, there are few regrets. Only months before this picture was taken, you wrote a poem about a “woman becoming.” Even then you understood that success was a process and that moving with the flow of life and not against it would be your greatest achievement.
Love you deeply,
Oprah​

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I like it! However at 19 you are not likely to really listen to the elders.

Dear beautiful brown-skinned girl,

I look into your eyes and see the light and hope of myself.

In this photo you are just about to turn 20, posing outside the television station where you were recently hired as a reporter. You’re proud of yourself for getting the job, but uncertain you’ll be able to manage all your college classes before 1 and arrive at the station by 1:30 for a full day’s work. Even so, your biggest concern is how to manage your love life with Bubba. Yes, you are dating someone named Bubba.

On this day you’ve brought him to the station to see where you work, hoping he’ll be proud, too. He seems less than impressed. The truth is, he’s intimidated. You don’t know this, though, because you can see yourself only through his eyes. A lesson you will have to learn again and again: to see yourself with your own eyes, to love yourself from your own heart.

You’ve spent too many days and years trying to please others and be what they wanted you to be. You will have to learn that the wounds of your past—rape, molestation, whippings for “stepping out of place,” and not being allowed to show anger or cry afterward—damaged your self-esteem.

Yet through it all, you’ve held on to a belief in God and God’s belief in you.
That will be your single greatest gift: knowing there is a power greater than yourself and trusting that Force to guide you.

The trajectory of your life changed the day you answered the call from Chris Clark, the news director at WLAC-TV. Your response was ignited by the words of your then-favorite Bible verse, Philippians 3:14. “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

Knowing there is a “high calling” is what will sustain and fulfill you.
From where I sit now, viewing your journey, there are few regrets. Only months before this picture was taken, you wrote a poem about a “woman becoming.” Even then you understood that success was a process and that moving with the flow of life and not against it would be your greatest achievement.
Love you deeply,
Oprah​

This is a beautiful letter...

What changed Oprah's heart from the bolded.... ?

SummerSolstice

Oprah can have a seat. Ever since I saw her tell the crowd that there's other ways to heaven aside from Christ she has gotten a side-eye from me.

LifeafterLHCF

Well I don't want to sound unholy but I will say I can take the info in spite of the messenger. She is a christian none the less who has fallen. I won't give her side eyes as this letter and the meaning of it is so me right now. Life changes folks but I can see the beauty of the letter without belittling the messenger.

SummerSolstice

Well I don't want to sound unholy but I will say I can take the info in spite of the messenger. She is a christian none the less who has fallen. I won't give her side eyes as this letter and the meaning of it is so me right now. Life changes folks but I can see the beauty of the letter without belittling the messenger.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm belittling her. I just disagree with her and her selective stances on subjects. But thats how she got her money so good for her?

I wouldn't want to be a billionaire if it cost me my Christianity.

Iwanthealthyhair67

she said she had questions afters hearing a sermon where the preacher said that God is a jealous God ...I don't know what context he said it in, but it made a profound impact on her and her impression of God ...

This is a beautiful letter...

What changed Oprah's heart from the bolded.... ?

gn1g

Lately she has been all about Jesus. She has been attending services at thepottershouse with Bishop Jakes and the things he says are surgeon sharp and I am sure designed for Oprah. He was saying the same things you all are saying, pretty much never sale out your Jesus but the nevertheless he will be there for you when you come back and life has a way of bringing you back around.

She said as a little girl she really thought Jesus was her dad. She spent all day in church on Sundays.

Shimmie

Staff member
she said she had questions afters hearing a sermon where the preacher said that God is a jealous God ...I don't know what context he said it in, but it made a profound impact on her and her impression of God ...

I'd sure like to hear what was said and how this preacher put those words. Oprah has sense / intelligence. Of all things to allow to influence her 'away' from God...

I cringe thinking of all of the people who have followed her every word and where are their souls? Is it too late? Oprah was their icon and their substitute god.

I notice that she's spending a lot of time with Bishop Jakes. Wouldn't it an awesome joy, to see her heart turned completely around to the heart of God and to use her platform to speak God's truth and no longer the world's lies.

Hopefully this will happen... hopefully she'll minister to save the souls who were so mislead by her during her 'Prodigal' journey.

Shimmie

Staff member

I can see where this letter ministers to your heart...similar pasts draws kindred (connected) compassion.

This letter is from the past... since then and in the meantime Oprah's Prodigal change has done so much damage to the souls of others who have been mislead by her philosophies... worldwide. It's not this letter that people identify with, instead it is the acceptance of an 'anything goes' lifestyle.

I personally care about Oprah a great deal. She is a woman of heart and she is indeed a giver and she does indeed love humanity. In her love, it's mislead so many and the enemy has used her tremendously. The attraction to her intelligence, her charity, her charisma is the platform the enemy has sucessfully used to draw hearts towards her and lead astray into a misty vapor where God does not exist.

I pray that she returns to God. I pray that she does.

If nothing more that she gives back to God what He intended her for in the first place... her heart. Not in part, but all of it and there will be not one shread of compromise in her so doing.

I'll be honest the one person I have issues with is Gayle. She needs to be away from the public (i.e. her radio show), and to sit under God's Word and get her life right.

Anyway, I hope my post hasn't offended you. It's not my intent. :Rose:

LifeafterLHCF

I hope Oprah comes back to God fully but I can definitely understand where she comes from. There have been many things that I have grappled with in regards to my faith. I'm not into the overly religious stuff anymore ie rituals etc but I want a relationship. For the longest I felt I was definitely not good enough for God and definitely couldn't be a christian based on things but I know that is bogus. She has been created for a purpose and she will live out that purpose. She has touched a many but those who were weak minded or easily swayed can't just blame her bc it could have been anyone and they would have done the same. Some just don't want to take ownership of things esp in their walks.

Shimmie

Staff member
I hope Oprah comes back to God fully but I can definitely understand where she comes from. There have been many things that I have grappled with in regards to my faith. I'm not into the overly religious stuff anymore ie rituals etc but I want a relationship. For the longest I felt I was definitely not good enough for God and definitely couldn't be a christian based on things but I know that is bogus. She has been created for a purpose and she will live out that purpose. She has touched a many but those who were weak minded or easily swayed can't just blame her bc it could have been anyone and they would have done the same. Some just don't want to take ownership of things esp in their walks.

GoddessMaker....

You share a kindred heart with Oprah and that's beautiful. You'll be among the ones praying for her the hardest. You never know, GM, you may meet with her one on one .... you never know. And God will use you.

I met one of my favorite actresses; she actually had her office call me to invite me to have a 'girl's' lunch with her. Never in a million years could I have ever thought that this would/could happen. But I had been praying for her ... I sent her a letter letting her know that. Never thinking that I'd meet her in person. I just wanted her to know that I cared about what she was going through and that I was praying for her. Others had given her a somewhat 'raw' deal. It bothered me. I prayed for her.

The lunch day occurred on Thursday, May 4, 2000, she came from "Hollywood" to Washington, DC .... National Day of Prayer. :yep:

Pray your heart for Oprah... if lead of God, write to her and tell her that you care. You never know, how far you can reach with prayer and love.

And before you even think it... why not you... ? You have the heart for her. :yep:

:grouphug2:

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

Shimmie that would be like so cool to me. I for the longest time didn't like Oprah. It wasn't until she went off the air and start doing the life classes that I got into her. She is very transparent and beautifully rich to me. Not in the money way but the depth of her and her existence. This gives me some great things to think about.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Shimmie said:
I'd sure like to hear what was said and how this preacher put those words. Oprah has sense / intelligence. Of all things to allow to influence her 'away' from God...

I cringe thinking of all of the people who have followed her every word and where are their souls? Is it too late? Oprah was their icon and their substitute god.

I notice that she's spending a lot of time with Bishop Jakes. Wouldn't it an awesome joy, to see her heart turned completely around to the heart of God and to use her platform to speak God's truth and no longer the world's lies.

Hopefully this will happen... hopefully she'll minister to save the souls who were so mislead by her during her 'Prodigal' journey.

That would have been awesome when he had the opportunity not to endorsed the 'many paths ' also and why is he in the line up with the yoruba priestess and deepak chopra

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie that would be like so cool to me. I for the longest time didn't like Oprah. It wasn't until she went off the air and start doing the life classes that I got into her. She is very transparent and beautifully rich to me. Not in the money way but the depth of her and her existence. This gives me some great things to think about.

It's an awesome thing when God brings us into the life of someone to Minister His love to. I believe that God is bringing all of us to a point to love and pray more for those we 'oppose'. (Hope that sounds right). I mean, He commands us to pray for our enemies.

There's still a way to show 'error' in philosophies and love the person. I think you're giving me an excellent example of it God took something personal and gave you a heart for Oprah. Someone in the Body of Christ has to love her beyond what others love her for and pray for her soul. You're there.

I love her 'All Stars' show with Dr. Phil, Suzie Orman and Dr. Oz. I just never wanted to get 'caught up' and become a 'follower' of someone who wasn't following Jesus. So much is given to the world and so little credit is given to God for who He truly is.

Her letter shows that she does have God and your heart shows that she will return unto Him fully and completely. That's our prayer.

GM, you may not be aware of this, but you are an 'anchor' in our lives and in the lives of others. You keep us grounded in reality and grounded in knowing that life is no life without prayer. God is taking you from glory to glory. Each step you take is upon a path that has only blessings within and upon it. The enemy put a stone in front of opening of your path, in attempt to hide the Lighted path. But... remember that stone that the angels rolled away from the cave Jesus was in... the cave couldn't keep Him... the enemy couldn't hide His Light any longer. The journey's path still had miles to accomplish and no longer was He hindered from going through.

This is you... Light ... Bright on a path not yet finished. A brighter path with joys and tears, yet more joys and happy tears and you will minister and accomplish the hearts of many... such as you are now....but more.

You're Oprah's anchor. You know the prayers and the heart behind them... Pray and allow God to bring you face to face and you will be embraced by her very soul. Even if only by a letter...:yep:

LoveisYou

Even though Oprah appears to have a solid belief in principles etc., it appears to me that she's still searching, I pray her search leads her to Christ.

Shimmie

Staff member
That would have been awesome when he had the opportunity not to endorsed the 'many paths ' also and why is he in the line up with the yoruba priestess and deepak chopra

Lord... don't get me started......... Deepak Chapra (sp?) and Ilyana Vans.... (sp?).

I haven't watch the panel with Bishop Jakes. Has it aired yet? I truly want him to be uncompromising... I hope he is. Please don't be another Joel. :pray:

I understand not coming off as rude and brassy...we want to 'win' their hearts not push them away. But how far do we drop our standards of faith to appease the world?

Iwanthealthyhair67

Shimmie said:
Lord... don't get me started......... Deepak Chapra (sp?) and Ilyana Vans.... (sp?).

I haven't watch the panel with Bishop Jakes. Has it aired yet? I truly want him to be uncompromising... I hope he is. Please don't be another Joel. :pray:

I understand not coming off as rude and brassy...we want to 'win' their hearts not push them away. But how far do we drop our standards of faith to appease the world?

Yes the one and only, leading people to hell disguised by ones purpose she introduced the secret in the book club then it was Ekhert Tolle we need to be very careful of these people they talk a good talk and they are very successful but no Jesus only God at their convenience.

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes the one and only, leading people to hell disguised by ones purpose she introduced the secret in the book club then it was Ekhert Tolle we need to be very careful of these people they talk a good talk and they are very successful but

no Jesus only God at their convenience.

THAT's IT !!!!! Heatlh Hair... THAT's IT!

All this time, I've been trying to explain what they were all about... and you put into these simple words...

"No Jesus... just God at their convenience..."

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

They use God as an 'insert' when they want to gain the attention of a certain audience, which is only a trap of deception.

Do you know that Ilyana (sp?) was the first reason I was turned off of Oprah. She was too much... and not real. :nono::nono::nono: I couldn't watch her, there was a wall there. Of course now I know why; she was clashing with the Holy Spirit.

We have to pray for all of them. So lost and losing others...it has to be prayed for God's intervention.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Shimmie said:
THAT's IT !!!!! Heatlh Hair... THAT's IT!

All this time, I've been trying to explain what they were all about... and you put into these simple words...

"No Jesus... just God at their convenience..."

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

They use God as an 'insert' when they want to gain the attention of a certain audience, which is only a trap of deception.

Do you know that Ilyana (sp?) was the first reason I was turned off of Oprah. She was too much... and not real. :nono::nono::nono: I couldn't watch her, there was a wall there. Of course now I know why; she was clashing with the Holy Spirit.

We have to pray for all of them. So lost and losing others...it has to be prayed for God's intervention.

Ev e ry knee shall bow and ev e ry tongue must confess...the way we must go it is not popular, God bless the man/woman who will stand for righteousness and proclaim the name of Jesus wherever he goes and speak the same as in and out of season...(no matter which pulpit , platform or arena).

Truth mixed with error is still deception...let God be God and every man a liar, watch them, watch them closely , listen to them, listen to them carefully still yet aspire to be like Jesus that was our example in the earth...

Shimmie

Staff member
Ev e ry knee shall bow and ev e ry tongue must confess...the way we must go it is not popular, God bless the man/woman who will stand for righteousness and proclaim the name of Jesus wherever he goes and speak the same as in and out of season...(no matter which pulpit , platform or arena).

Truth mixed with error is still deception...

let God be God and every man a liar, watch them, watch them closely , listen to them, listen to them carefully still yet aspire to be like Jesus that was our example in the earth...

Words of wisdom.... Words of wisdom... Words of wisdom... :yep:

Watch them closely... there's no Jesus, no Holy Spirit. Did not King David say in Psalm 51... "Take not your Holy Spirit from me..."

King Saul had that void in his heart ... a dark hollow in his soul which lead him to his demise.

If Jesus is not in our hearts, it's a darkness and void that cannot be endured.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Shimmie said:
Words of wisdom.... Words of wisdom... Words of wisdom... :yep:

Watch them closely... there's no Jesus, no Holy Spirit. Did not King David say in Psalm 51... "Take not your Holy Spirit from me..."

King Saul had that void in his heart ... a dark hollow in his soul which lead him to his demise.

If Jesus is not in our hearts, it's a darkness and void that cannot be endured.

Yes amen if Jesus is not in it, it's darkness.