Olive Oil Moisturizer

butterfly7

I went to my local bss last night for oil for my hair. I was looking at jojoba oil and shea butter, but then I saw something called Olive Oil Moisturizer Shine. Has anyone heard of or used this? It's by Hollywood Beauty. My question is, it contains mineral oil. Is mineral oil on the do not use list? I thought I saw something about mineral oil use or non use here, but I can't find it. I went ahead and bought it and I like it, but what is the deal with mineral oil? There was another one called Carrot Oil Moisturizer. It's not the regular Carrot Oil or Carrot Creme by Hollywood Beauty. It's something new, I guess.

ElizaBlue

Haven't heard or used that one. I do use the ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer. It can be gummy but it's effective.

ParisEmanuelle

No, it doesn't contain MO nor petrolatum. After water, the first ingredient in it is coconut oil. I had been using Dudley's PCA, but found that the ORS olive oil creme kept my hair better moisturized.

angellazette

lwilliams1922 I just started using pure olive oil on my hair. I spray my hair with water then apply the olive oil to my braids/scalp daily. From what I can see it keeps my hair moisturized, doesn't weigh it down, it feels soft to the touch, not greasy...but I noticed that everyone using the extra virgin kind. Is there a reason to not use the pure olive oil?

myco

Here is a breakdown of how olive oils are ranked. They are all "pure" olive oils, but the name is determined by whether or not it was a first, second, or third processing of the fruit and the acidity levels. Each time the same fruit is pressed, you get a lower quality of oil. The "oruja" is the last pressing and it cannot be considered olive oil because it uses solvents to remove it from the fruit. I'm not sure how the acidity levels affect hair, so it might just be a matter of personal preference which one you buy. But the taste of EVOO is probably preferred more than the others which is why it is seen on shelves more than the others.

HTH

Virgin Olive Oil
This oil is obtained only from the olive, the fruit of the olive tree, using solely mechanical or other physical means in conditions, particularly thermal conditions, which do not alter the oil in any way. It has not undergone any treatment other than washing, decanting, centrifuging and filtering. It excludes oils obtained by the use of solvents or reesterification methods, and those mixed with oils from other sources. It can be qualified as a natural product, and virgin olive oil can have a designation of origin when it meets the specific characteristics associated with a particular region. Virgin olive oils can have the following designations and classifications depending on their organoleptic (taste and aroma) and analytic characteristics (the degree of acidity refers to the proportion of free fatty acids, not to the taste):

Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Virgin olive oil with an absolutely impeccable taste and aroma; fruity; the acidity, expressed in oleic acid, may not exceed 1%.

Virgin Olive Oil:Virgin olive oil with an impeccable taste and aroma; fruity; the acidity expressed in oleic acid may not exceed 2%

Ordinary Virgin Olive Oil:Virgin olive oil with a good taste and acceptable aroma, whose acidity does not exceed 3.3%.

Lampante Virgin Olive Oil:Virgin olive oil with an acidity of more than 3.3% and/or whose organoleptic characteristics have defects. Not fit for direct consumption. Always refined.

Refined Olive Oil
This is obtained by refining virgin olive oils which have a high acidity level and/or organoleptic defects which are eliminated after refining. Their oleic acid acidity may not exceed 0.3%.

Olive Oil
This is a mixture of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil. Its acidity may not exceed 1.5%.

Olive-Pomace Oil
This is another oil derived from the olive that keeps its initial chemical structure. It is made of the oil extracted from olive pomace using solvents, which is then refined and blended with virgin olive oil. In no case may the degree of acidity exceed 1.5%.

angellazette

Well the bottle I have just says 100% Pure Olive Oil...so I guess it just falls under the category of "Olive Oil
This is a mixture of refined olive oil and virgin olive oil. Its acidity may not exceed 1.5%. "

SoniT

I use pure, extra-virgin olive oil on my hair. I mix it with my conditioner and sometimes put it on my ends. It makes my hair soft and shiny.

DeQuendre

I have Hollywood Beauty Olive creme. Haven't used it since I found out about Kiehl's from this board. I picked it up from Wal-Mart because it was the first thing I found without mineral oil or petrolatum. I must say it is very heavy and clumps my hair together. But my hair was very well moisturized You may not care for the fragance either. I am iffy on it. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Isopropyl Myristate, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Stearic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Vitamin E, Matricaria Extract (chamomille), Calendula Extract, Vitamin B, Macademia Nut oil, Vitamin A, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Vitamin C, Great Burdock Extract, Triethanolamine, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, FD&C Yellow, FDC&C B

qtpi

I use olive oil, coconut oil, sometimes almond oil on my hair after spritzing with water, or after coming out of the shower with wet hair. I'm thinking of mixing up a batch all in one spray bottle, along with glycerin. I saw that quite a few ladies here use it, so thought I'd give it a try too (glycerin I mean)