Old Testament Question - How was this possible?

SvelteVelvet

Adam & Eve, the first man and woman, had Cain & Abel. Cain gets married. Who birthed his wife? Where did she come from?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I do not really see Genesis as a literal story.

But if I did, I would guess that it was Adam and Eve's daughter.

moonglowdiva

For as long as they lived they did a lot of begetting.:grin: You will not find the answers you seek here or in the Bible. It makes no mention in the Bible and everybody has an opinion.

brg240

well I'm sure adam and eve had more children. Of course I like to think God made more people in addition.

Crown

Sister or niece as Momi said.

The Bible does not give specific detail about this subject, but the Bible gives some important information.

*Adam was the first man :
1Cor. 15.45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Cor. 15.47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

*All man come from Adam :
Act. 17.26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

*Eve was the mother of all :
Gen. 3.20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

*Adam had other children than Cain, Abel and Seth :
Gen. 5.4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5.5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

*Seth had many sons and daughters :
5.6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: 5.7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: 5.8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

discobiscuits

adam means man (the gender not an individual name for an individual persosn) and eve means woman (the gender not an individual name for an individual persosn).

Adam \a-dam\ is pronounced AD-um or ad-DOM. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "earth". From "adama". In Hebrew, it is a generic term for "man".

genesis says god created man and woman the genders as well as individuals.

some ppl believe that there were many men and women not just one man named adam and one man named eve. some ppl believe there was only one man and one woman created and they were named adam and eve.

Gen 5:1-2
This [is] the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

i don't really care where he got is wife from but i don't think she was the daughter of cain's parents.

portions of the book of Genesis discuss man the gender not an individual man named adam. that is my belief and/or interpretation and nothing in the bible can 100% support or refute that belief/interpretation just like nothing can 100% support or refute a belief or interpretation that god only created one man and one woman. The bible actually has verses that supports both interpretations.

knowing what i know about god, he is against incest so i find it difficult to believe that "in bible times" he would set it up so that humans had to procreate by having sex and children with their offspring.

science has proven the genetic degredation of dna of inbreeding and i'm sure since god invented dna he knew what would happen with inbreeding so again, i sincerely doubt that an all powerful god would set up his beloved children to sin against him by wifing and sexing their sisters/mothers/fathers/etc.

Last edited:

Crown

adam means man (the gender not an individual name for an individual persosn) and eve means woman (the gender not an individual name for an individual persosn).

genesis says god created man and woman the genders as well as individuals.

some ppl believe that there were many men and women not just one man named adam and one man named eve. some ppl believe there was only one man and one woman created and they were named adam and eve.

i don't really care where he got is wife from but i don't think she was the daughter of cain's parents.

portions of the book of Genesis discuss man the gender not an individual man named adam. that is my belief and/or interpretation and nothing in the bible can 100% support or refute that belief/interpretation just like nothing can 100% support or refute a belief or interpretation that god only created one man and one woman. The bible actually has verses that supports both interpretations.

knowing what i know about god, he is against incest so i find it difficult to believe that "in bible times" he would set it up so that humans had to procreate by having sex and children with their offspring.

science has proven the genetic degredation of dna of inbreeding and i'm sure since god invented dna he knew what would happen with inbreeding so again, i sincerely doubt that an all powerful god would set up his beloved children to sin against him by wifing and sexing their sisters/mothers/fathers/etc.

Anyway…

*Jesus is compared to Adam, is Jesus a gender or an individual ?
1Cor. 15.47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.
Luke 3.38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

*If Adam was not an individual who was the first man Adam in 1Cor.45 ?
1Cor. 15.45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

*Who sinned ?
Rom. 5.14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
1Cor. 15.22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

*How many times God did this ?
Gen. 2.21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 2.22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 2.23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 2.24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

*How many naked in Eden ?
Gen. 2.25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

*Being the mother of all, was Eve a gender or an individual ?
Gen. 3.20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

*What is the concept of one blood ?
Act. 17.26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation.

*Is it true or not ?
Gen. 6.13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Gen. 7.21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: 7.22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. 7.23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

*If it is true, did only 8 remain and multiply again or not ?
1Pet. 3.20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
Gen. 7.13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark

*Was Sara the sister of Abraham ?
Gen. 20.11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake. 20.12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

I am not asking for an answer. These questions came from reading this post.
We choose what we believe and we are / will be accountable before God.
May God guide us!

goldielocs

It was most likely his sister or niece.

Adam and Eve were genetically perfect so incest would not have been an issue IMO.

discobiscuits

It was most likely his sister or niece.

Adam and Eve were genetically perfect so incest would not have been an issue IMO.
genetic "perfection" has nothing to do with incest. DNA degrades like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy so their GP is irrelevant, their DNA degrading the more they incest with their offspring.

Anyway…
that was rude.

quote all the scripture you want, it is a fact that adam means man the gender and scripture does say that "through one man (Adam)" sin came into the earth so i'm not saying that there was not an individual man named adam. i'm saying that adam is both a name and a word and it means man the gender.

the scriptures are 100% silent on the matter so this matter falls under the "debatable matter" clause so my theory is neither right nor wrong and i can not prove by the scriptures if it is right or wrong.

Last edited:

goldielocs

genetic "perfection" has nothing to do with incest. DNA degrades like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy so their GP is irrelevant, their DNA degrading the more they incest with their offspring.

What scripture supports the stance that there was more than one Adam and Eve created?

CoilyFields

Sister or niece as Momi said.

The Bible does not give specific detail about this subject, but the Bible gives some important information.

*Adam was the first man :

*All man come from Adam :
Act. 17.26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

*Eve was the mother of all :

*Adam had other children than Cain, Abel and Seth :
Gen. 5.4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5.5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

*Seth had many sons and daughters :
5.6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: 5.7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: 5.8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.

This is right on! There are many things that the Bible does not specifically answer for us but we can infer a lot from the evidence it presents. For me, when the word says that
1. through one man sin entered,
2.then that he passed down that sin to all his progenitors
3. then it says that ALL have sinned and have this sin nature from Adam

that leads to the conclusion that all people that have walked the face of this earth came from Adam (because no one besides Jesus has walked this earth without sin).

The Bible doesnt talk against incest until later in the old testament but with the command given to them to be fruitful and multiply it seems to be logical that at those early moments there was not the risk of genetic defect/mutation that will have developed later (and would be regulated by the law). (Hence the pre-law examples of Abraham and Sarah, Noah's Family.)

Crown

I don’t think so. No intention of rudeness from me : it just was to shake my mind off the confusion that came when reading the post (this is why I took you username off).

But, I am sorry if my expression anyway seems rude to you.

As Christians, we have to be vigilant on what we believe and why; and it is for me as for someone else.

What you said made and make me think about incest. The more I consider the plan of God - from Edenic Law to laws after fall, Noahide Law, Mosaic Law, Christianity - the more I see a progression with more restrictions (and at the same time, by the grace of God, more freedom).

As we know, Sara was the sister of Abraham, the daughter of his father) and from them came Isaac, the son of Promise.
[FONT=&quot]Maybe at this time, incest was limited to father and mother.[/FONT]

quote all the scripture you want, it is a fact that adam means man the gender and scripture does say that "through one man (Adam)" sin came into the earth so i'm not saying that there was not an individual man named adam. i'm saying that adam is both a name and a word and it means man the gender.

the scriptures are 100% silent on the matter so this matter falls under the "debatable matter" clause so my theory is neither right nor wrong and i can not prove by the scriptures if it is right or wrong.

I agree, there was an individual man named Adam (Ish) and from him came Eve (Isha), they sinned and we are all sons and daughters of them : the principle of one blood (Act 17:26).
By the grace of God, the second Adam, Jesus, came to set us free.