Okay, I'm about to relax and...

Naphy

I'm very afraid :(
I'm 13 weeks post-relaxer, and I don't want to be over/underprocessed.
I need some tips to relax my hair well. ThanX

Hairsoaper

Oooh, good luck! Have you ever relaxed your hair before? I'm thinking about doing mine too, but I'm scared as well. I've never relaxed my own hair before. I'm 9wks post right now. Sorry, I don't have any helpful advice--but I did see a thread on here about how to relax your own hair. I'll see if I can find it for you. Please let me know how it turns out!

Naphy

Yesitsmine > Thank you for the support ^^ Yes I've already relaxed my hair myself but it was before I started taking care of my hair, and my hair was not healthy at all ! Thin & overprocessed...
I'm going to relax tommorow... so I would like to know what to do to my hair tonight, before and after relaxing.

13 weeks! Good job. My highest was 12 weeks.

Here's some tips from Redhotlala from her folki:

I kinda stumbled upon not relaxing the hair super straight a couple of years ago. One time, I accidentally relaxed my hair with a lot of oil and grease in it, and the relaxer didn’t take. I was so pissed because I wasn’t use to all the curl and body (The oil keeps the relaxer from penetrating the hair strand). Eventually, I got use to all the thickness and curls, so I continued to apply a lot of oil and grease to my previously relaxed hair before each relaxer. Over time, the hair got fuller due to this.

Basically, I relax my hair just like the instructions in the relaxer kits.
1) Before relaxing, I lightly detangle the hair with a shower comb (the hair doesn’t have to be super detangled).
2) I create 12 parts, I apply a lot of Vaseline, grease, or oil (im sure that they all work pretty well) to the previously relaxed hair (not directly to the roots). I twist each section into a Bantu knot and secured with butterfly clamps. I also apply a lot of grease to my kitchen area, and around my hair line.
3) I unravel 1 section at a time, and apply relaxer to it. I do the front first and the back last.

4)I lightly smooth the hair, probably for about 1 minute or 2 before I rinse. I leave the relaxer on for about 12-15 minutes in total. Depending on how fast I can get it on.
5) I wash my hair about 6-8 times to ensure that the relaxers out…..Two times is not enough.
6) I condition with a mixture of conditioner and oil, and I sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes before rinsing.

To make a long story short, just apply a lot of grease, oil, or vasline to the previously relaxed hair before relaxing. This will prevent overlapping and overprocessing, and over time the hair will thicken up.

Cayenne0622

My best relaxer so far has been relaxing my hair in halves. I base the parameter of my hair and then I part my hair down the middle and then from ear to ear across. I then have about 4 sections in front and 4 in back. I put a thick conditioner on the previously relaxed hair. I start at the top of my head, and using surgical gloves, I apply the relaxer going forward toward my hairline (which I do last because its fine at the front hairline). I pin those sections back up and let them process and then I begin on the back sections, starting with the crown and working my way down to the nape (I relax this last because it is not as course as the rest of my hair). By the time I'm down apply the relaxer to the back, the front is ready to be rinsed out. I put a baggy over the back and then a head band (from eat to ear) to hold the bag in place and provide a barrier between the front and back. I go to the sink and rinse out the front thoroughly several times. I do not use neutralizer shampoo yet but the water has already begun the neutralizing process. I clip the rinsed front hair back up and let the back finish processing. Then I go back to the sink and rinse the entire head thoroughly, I apply the protein conditioner that is part of the relaxer process for 10 minutes and then I rinse throughly again and finally I wash with neutralizing shampoo 3 or 4 times.
I do it this way so that I don't get underprocessed or overprocessed in any areas. When I have tried to relax my whole head, I have ended up with hair overprocessed in the sections where I applied the relaxer first and underprocessed in areas were I applied the relaxer last.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

BrooklynSouth

Naphy said:
I'm very afraid :(
I'm 13 weeks post-relaxer, and I don't want to be over/underprocessed.
I need some tips to relax my hair well. ThanX

Naphy..I'm done with self relaxing...the salon can screw me bad when the wrong person does my touchup but I'm the worst beautician ever at relaxing:naughty: ..I go to the salon only for that chemical application. I truly admire self relaxers here at LHCF but doing it myself is asking for big sobs :cry: of tears for months afterward!