Ok Military Ladies...We need some support too!

For all the military ladies that are trying to grow their hair out, share with us how you maintain your hair. Obviously we can't do braid outs or really BIG hairstyles (headgear issues).

Stretching it is a nightmare for some of us...:lachen:. With PT involved and everything I need some more ideas on how to maintain this stuff while trying to grow it out.

Also, if any of you ladies have to be in the field or deployed, how are you maintaining your tresses. Inquiring minds want to know.:grin:

As for me, when my hair is not braided/in twists, I keep my hair in a phony bun with a baggy underneath. While I am stretching, my edges are the only thing that really gives me problems, so I just do some cornrows along my edges, to get the short edges out of my way and I slick my hair back into the bun. That can get me through a week+ in the field. Cornrows and wigs saved my life when I was in Iraq.

Tell me, what has helped you out????:afropick:

nikkablue

Signing on here! Internet shopping has become my best friend! I usally just part my hair 4 ways, braid or twist each section, then bring the top two together and the bottom two together and call it good:yep:

Signing on here! Internet shopping has become my best friend! I usally just part my hair 4 ways, braid or twist each section, then bring the top two together and the bottom two together and call it good:yep:

You know, I never thought about that style. I can see how that would work. Is it just plaits or french braids or what????

mturner0516

I'm not in the mililtary but I'm a civilian in iraq. (been here over a year) I wear wigs 100% of the time. I wash my hair with bottled water....I also deep condition and c/w midweek. I shop on the internet for all my hair products...I can get anything sent out here. I do my own texlaxes....and I live on this board lol

I'm not in the mililtary but I'm a civilian in iraq. (been here over a year) I wear wigs 100% of the time. I wash my hair with bottled water....I also deep condition and c/w midweek. I shop on the internet for all my hair products...I can get anything sent out here. I do my own texlaxes....and I live on this board lol

LOL....I feel you. On my 1st deployment it was me and a water bottle all the way!!! So you wig it up most of the time, huh? I did that too. When I was there Sheldeez was my friend. I ordered from there all the time!!!! If there is no running water, how are you DCing?

mturner0516

Sheldeez, gmbshair, hell most places will ship here....Yes there's running water, but it has so many minerals and stuff in it so I try not to use it on my hair but sometimes i'm lazy....I dc using my soft bonnet dryer, or under my conditioning cap. And since its 125 degrees or so i can just sit outside :yawn:

tiffanyoneal

Girl I bow down to you. :worship2:If I wore a wig over here in afghan I would be falling out. I keep my naps in some braids or twists until its time to go on R&R and then I rock the wig on the day I fly to Dubai. Did you really notice a difference from you using the regular water vs. the bottled water? Im too lazy so I just wash in the shower.

mturner0516

Tiffanyoneal,
Girl I am very fortunate, I work in a bldg where the AC is so high i have to wear a jacket. I only have the pleasure of being outside in the wonderful heat for about 30 mins total all day....I have to wear these wigs and keep from the sand storms, and the sun....or i'll be bald....And my company does not allow us to wear hats :perplexed I've tried bottled (drinking) water twice and it seemed to make a difference...but i'm going to keep trying...i'll keep you posted. I wish i could do the braid thing...no patience...but i may try to get cornrows every other month...but these braiders kill my nape:wallbash:

Ivonnovi

For all the military ladies that are trying to grow their hair out, share with us how you maintain your hair. Obviously we can't do braid outs or really BIG hairstyles (headgear issues).
Stretching it is a nightmare for some of us...:lachen:. With PT involved and everything I need some more ideas on how to maintain this stuff while trying to grow it out.

Also, if any of you ladies have to be in the field or deployed, how are you maintaining your tresses. Inquiring minds want to know.:grin:

As for me, when my hair is not braided/in twists, I keep my hair in a phony bun with a baggy underneath. While I am stretching, my edges are the only thing that really gives me problems, so I just do some cornrows along my edges, to get the short edges out of my way and I slick my hair back into the bun. That can get me through a week+ in the field. Cornrows and wigs saved my life when I was in Iraq.

1. Hair and skin: Olive Oil; Shea or Coco Butter (raw)
2. Combo: RawButter and Olive Oil Blend used sparingly.
3. Twists, thin and pulled back into 1 or 2 ponytails (stacked if 2).
3. Twists must be with human hair, I found synthetic 2 damn hot!!!
4. AND should be #1: Learn to do your own braids/twists. I could before I left but I can assure you that if you start before deployment you'll be an expert by the time you return :yep:. Ensure the added hair is longer than your own.
5. Hair Holders. Cut the top part of a nice pair of Kneehighs. I'm still using 1 set 2yrs later. Use them by themselves or underneath your other barrets. They hold the hair in place, don't cut /break the hair, And IMHO my wet hair dried better using these than other scrunchies/bands/barrets and did so without breaking.

6. Maintenance:
  • Daily: Spritzed hair with mixture (Water, OliveOil, Conditioner of choice); Paul Mitchell foaming pomade for added sheen.
  • 2-3 days: Rinsed hair regularly while in the shower. CoPoo'ed on occasion.
  • bi-weekly: 4-hours every other Sunday Morning (it was the only day we could "sleep in"), took quite a while to work my way through my whole head!
  • Cover hair when sleeping.
When I returned I was impressed with the growth, was to chicken-S&!% to BC so I went back to perming with minimal trimming necessary.

Last edited:

apollo

I have been stretching for about 18 weeks now, so after pt I usually wet my hair a little with water and use ntm leave-in and slick my ends down with qp mango butter and put my hair in a bun. By the end of the day my hair is a hot mess because of the beret, I wish we could go back to the patrol cap. Sometimes I just use coconut oil and water and pull back into a bun. hth

MissTical

Damn.... I got excited seeing this post. Nice to see some military chicas on here. Yes it is hard as hell to wear certain styles because we have to make sure that it falls within our regs, and that it's not faddish and other ish. I wish that I would have found this board before my deployments because I have not been overseas and returned with healthy hair. I was never patient enough to wash with bottled water in any of the countries; and I always returned having to have 2-4 inches chopped off.

So how are you ladies wearing your hair, and how often are you washing/co-washing... taking care of your hair with PT?