OK I THINK IM READY NOW!!!

Knedgers

.......I took the kinky twist out and is a forest in there!!!! :antlers: I clarified my hair, did a 2 min reconstructor, and dc'ed. I then roller set it and its still a forest in there!!:lachen:So-o Im ready to relax I have done well i am at twelve weeks and I have short hair. So I am going to give you guys what I think is a correct relaxing procedure and if you dont mind give me your opinions please:grin:

I washed yesterday so I plan on doing this on thursday(?)
I am going to relax my hair in two sections

1.Base relaxed hair in conditioner
2. seperate my hair in to sections with clips first
3. apply relaxer only smooth with fingers
4. rinse
5. apply a aphogee reconstructor (?)
6. neutralize
7. moisturizing shampoo
8. Dc
9 . apply leave and serum and roller set

it this right guys???

ACEA

Is this your first time self-relaxing? This is just my opinion, but why not wait a couple more days. At least until Saturday. It just seems to me that washing 3 days prior to relaxing is a little risky. Maybe I'm just too tenderheaded. If your not a pro, even appling a base may not prevent you from burning your scalp. I'd hate for that to happen. Otherwise, I think you did a good job with your preparation.

Knedgers

ok so i will neutralize before my reconstructor and wait til sunday thanxs guys I will be sure to post pictures

Aggie

.......I took the kinky twist out and is a forest in there!!!! :antlers: I clarified my hair, did a 2 min reconstructor, and dc'ed. I then roller set it and its still a forest in there!!:lachen:So-o Im ready to relax I have done well i am at twelve weeks and I have short hair. So I am going to give you guys what I think is a correct relaxing procedure and if you dont mind give me your opinions please:grin:

I washed yesterday so I plan on doing this on thursday(?)
I am going to relax my hair in two sections

1.Base relaxed hair in conditioner
2. seperate my hair in to sections with clips first
3. apply relaxer only smooth with fingers
4. rinse
5. apply a aphogee reconstructor (?)
6. neutralize
7. moisturizing shampoo
8. Dc
9 . apply leave and serum and roller set

it this right guys???

Hey Knedgers,

This is exactly how you should relax your hair. A protein treatment should follow your relaxer and come before your neutralizer just like you've outlined it. This step is important because the relaxer strips the hair's cuticle of protein and because the cuticle is opened, it is important to put the protein back in the hair at this time. The cuticle can absorb the protein better during this time.

Now ordinarily I would say 3 days after your last wash it's okay to go ahead and relax your hair, but because you just took out kinky braids, I would recommend waiting at least 5 days. Your scalp may still be too sensitive for a relaxer at 3 days. The clarification and protein treatment timing was perfect. Try not to comb your hair too much for the next 5 days. Now remember, it is also important to protein treat your hair again within 7 days of the relaxer followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. The hair needs it during this time to rebuild the broken down cuticle walls.

BTW here's a link that would help you out:-

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html?page=2

Happy Growing.

Last edited:

Saida

Hey Knedgers,

This is exactly how you should relax your hair. A protein treatment should follow your relaxer and come before your neutralizer just like you've outlined it. This step is important because the relaxer strips the hair's cuticle of protein and because the cuticle is opened, it is important to put the protein back in the hair at this time. The cuticle can absorb the protein better during this time.

Now ordinarily I would say 3 days after your last wash it's okay to go ahead and relax your hair, but because you just took out kinky braids, I would recommend waiting at least 5 days. Your scalp may still be too sensitive for a relaxer at 3 days. The clarification and protein treatment timing was perfect. Try not to comb your hair too much for the next 5 days. Now remember, it is also important to protein treat your hair again within 7 days of the relaxer followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. The hair needs it during this time to rebuild the broken down cuticle walls.

Happy Growing.

Good adivce :yep:

Knedgers

Hey Knedgers,

Happy Growing.

Thank you so much!! I have been self relaxing for years but never understood the correct way to go about it that you so much I will be sure to post the results. I have never had this much new growth I used to relax every 4 weeks

Leslie_C

Sounds great....you are going to use the 2 minute reconstructor and not the hardcore one though, right?

Also, please learn from my mistake of relaxing half and half....I wouldnt do it if you dont know what you are doing...go ahead and do your whole head in one session and just move fast....at least that is what I would do. A few months ago I did the half and half thing and I accidently got my hair a little wet on the other half and ended up putting relaxer on that section...anyway lets just say Im still recovering from the breakage I got in my crown area. Its growing back out with lots of TLC but it sux that had to happen! I wont try the half and half method again. Its really hard not to get any other hair wet no matter how u cover it up.

Let us know how it turns out!

Knedgers

ok thanx gurl, plus i think since i have shorter hair I should be ok, the ladies with much longer and thicker hair probably need the half and half method more than i do

Aggie

Good adivce :yep:

BTW Knedgers,

The protein treatment that you will put on before the neutralizing shampoo should only be on for about 5 or 6 minutes. I wasn't sure if I had stressed this or not, so I came back to do so. Do not skip this step as the benefits are great including normalizing the pH of the hair, maximum protein penetration and replacement, increased body, volume, and strength to your hair.

HTH