Oil Mister-- anyone?

I came on the site today specificall looking for something exactly like this. I did a search and couldn't quite figure out how to word what I was looking for. At any rate, I eventually typed the right phrase because I found your posting. This is SUCH a great idea. It's exactly what I was looking for - using a spray that would keep my twist out moisturized and give it sheen! Thanks a bunch!! :grin:
I have the Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey and one of the most useful tips that I have found in her book was using an oil spray mister to spray dry hair with good oils. Kinda like homemade oil sheen spray, but better! :thumbsup:

I do this every couple of days (on my scalp and all over) using Karen's Body Beautiful hair oil (Jojoba Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, Black Seed Oil, Vitamin E & Essential and/or Fragrance Oils.) I do it at night when I dry twist my hair and then cover with a silk scarf and sleep.

It's a great trick bc it adds shine to my hair, eliminates frizz and keeps it soft and moisturized without adding a water based moisturizer which tends to make my hair swell and frizz. (Jojoba oil is my hair's friend:lick:) It's also good because it distributes the oil really well all over, but I can concentrate the oil where I need it. It helps my twists and twists outs to stay nicer looking longer and frizz-free and stretch out my washes. :yep:

I will also spray oil mist when I just need a lil extra shine on my hair and it works GREAT! Kinda like Aveda Brilliant but without the cones, etc.

I use an Endurance mister like the one below:
http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Oil-Mister-18-Endurance/dp/B000QSFKRO

And basically have had no issues with clogging, only that you have to "burp" the mister (ie, unscrew the top to let the pressure out after use)

Also, I don't spray too much, just a light coating (much like you would spray a canned oil sheen spray) and that's enough for my hair to have added shine and not be greasy.

Lorraine Massey recommends any kind of nut oil (canola, olive, jojoba, cocnut, etc.) and even recommends adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil as fragrance. I think this would be of benefit to relaxed, natural or texlaxed hair ie, anyone who has dry, thirsty hair and is partial to good oils.

Anyone else do this? What are your oil spray/mister tricks & benefits?

I would be scared of breaking out from oil getting on my face. I had to start spraying my water, glycerin and avj in my hand. I was getting cyst acne.

You just gave me a great idea the wonder 8 spray costs 2 bucks at the dollar store, i can buy that and dump out the oil and put in my own.:look::grin:.

WHich dollar store. General or Family. Ima be there today. I love Oils for my hair. Especailly to pre poo with or let sit overnight. This Wonder 8 it comes in a container like the one OP posted? i will use the oil and then make my own if that's the case. Smell can't be that bad.

Thanks for the recommendation! That book changed my whole outlook on hair. I bought it about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, and because of that book I stopped using sulfates, started co-washing and doing lemon rinses, and laid off the -cones, and I've noticed a drastic improvement in my hair, despite being a relaxed head. But the way I see it, my natural texture is curly/kinky, so a lot of the things that benefit naturals and those with curly heads work for me as well.

I know I saw an oil mister for food at Publix (it's a supermarket). Spray oiling doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I need to pull the handbook of my bookshelf and refresh my memory a bit.

Last edited:
I was trying to check this out from the library but it was already checked out. I might see if it's there today.

I already had a mister from Pampered Chef that I use in my kitchen for olive oil so I just bought a mister on ebay just for this. I put coconut, safflower, olive, and avocado oils in it. I haven't used it yet. I got the idea from this video:

http://youtu.be/6t8FzRC1Umo

I have seen oil misters at Marshall's as well for a relatively inexpensive price...around 8 bucks I may pick one up thanks op for the inspiration!

I have been thinking about getting one to use for my oil rinses in the shower, plus it just seems cool.

Back