Oil Free Regimens?

MonPetite

My skin is at war with the oils my hair needs. The needs of my face win out and I've bumbled into (read: Much trial and error) a regimen that's working well for me but doesn't involve using any oils.

I recently BCed (in FEB 08) and all is well...for now.

Am I setting myself up for long term damage now that I'm natural? Can one truly have an oil free regimen with natural hair and achieve great growth?

Help!

What do you mean by oil free? I use very few oils on my hair - Red Palm Oil is the main one, but that's usually mixed in with something else. I use butters - a lot - shea/shealoe/cocoa, etc.....

If your hair is happy without oils though, I think that's what your hair wants. If its needs change, it'll let you know.

Maybe you can try lighter oils like jojoba and safflower.

You can also try showering / washing your face after completing your hair regimen (moisturizing/sealing/DC-ing). That way whatever oil gets to your skin is removed during your cleansing process.

Eh, What kinds of oils are you using?

And are you using so much that it runs down onto your face?

Maybe you need to try different oils or not use so much??

What do you mean by oil free? I use very few oils on my hair - Red Palm Oil is the main one, but that's usually mixed in with something else. I use butters - a lot - shea/shealoe/cocoa, etc.....

If your hair is happy without oils though, I think that's what your hair wants. If its needs change, it'll let you know.

I don't use products that are oil based, if they have oil its at the bottom of the list. I don't use it in DCs, I don't use it to seal, I don't use it in my conditioner washes -I don't use butters, balms, spritzes anything with a lot of ANY kind of oil in it I don't use.

I'm worried over time I may have breakage or damage of somekind because of this. :nono: It seems almost "Everyone" here has a favorite oil or miracle oil they use for some purpose.

Maybe you can try lighter oils like jojoba and safflower.

You can also try showering / washing your face after completing your hair regimen (moisturizing/sealing/DC-ing). That way whatever oil gets to your skin is removed during your cleansing process.

Tried them both, my face revolted. I co-wash daily and sleep with my leave-in in a shower cap a sort of light DC daily as part of my "Cap n Go" method. When I tried adding those oils to my cheape cowash, leave-in, or DC the skin around my hair line went nuts. Just being exposed to it around the edge of the showercap was enough to irritate it.:ohwell:

Eh, What kinds of oils are you using?

And are you using so much that it runs down onto your face?

Maybe you need to try different oils or not use so much??

I've tried them all from jojoba to coconut to olive to castor to everything in between. I don't do oil rinses -for the fear of it running down my face.

I would use oil, if my skin allowed for it, in my cowashes (which does cause contact) or my DCs (irritates skin around my hairline) or in my leave-in (overtime works its way to my forehead).

Maybe my hair IF fine without it, I was just wondering if anyone had started down this path with disasterous results or if anyone with knowledge on the subject would know if overtime I would be "starving" my hair of something vital...:perplexed

How about mixing your own moisturizing concotion...for example, glycerine, aloe vera, honeyquat et al.

I tried doing that with an all natural (I checked the ingredients closely) conditioner as a base mixed with aloe, a bit of coconut oil and essential oils as a leave-in. My hair was really healthy. :yep:

But looked like a HAM...and my skin around my hair line wasn't too much better. :nono:

Right now I'm using Redken's Smooth own Leave-In Detangler or the Smooth Down Butter Treat as a leave-in and my hair (so far) is soft with a healthy sheen. I wash daily as well and that's actually helped my skin and growth.

Perhaps oil isn't necessary for naturals? :blush:

Ah, the joys of hair...worrying about what could potentially be no big deal. :lachen:

Thank you everyone for your help! Any more ideas or info will be greatly appreciated!!

It looks like I may have an oil free regimen. My relaxed hair didn't like oils, except the Vatika and castor oils, and avocado butter. When I went natural, I thought it would be different. Nope. Now, avocado butter is the only thing that works, but it's just too heavy and greasy. I'm still searching for the perfect water based moisturizer. In the meantime, I just deep condition twice a week, and I've started back cowashing.

I don't use oil. I just wash and DC my hair once a week.

It looks like I may have an oil free regimen. My relaxed hair didn't like oils, except the Vatika and castor oils, and avocado butter. When I went natural, I thought it would be different. Nope. Now, avocado butter is the only thing that works, but it's just too heavy and greasy. I'm still searching for the perfect water based moisturizer. In the meantime, I just deep condition twice a week, and I've started back cowashing.

Not totally alone, I see. Hurrah! Thanks ladies. I guess my hair is just happy without it.

I don't do oil, i'd say i'm low to no oil, it just sits on my hair and makes it feel greasy the only time i use it is for DC's its rarely though.

My skin is at war with the oils my hair needs. The needs of my face win out and I've bumbled into (read: Much trial and error) a regimen that's working well for me but doesn't involve using any oils.

I recently BCed (in FEB 08) and all is well...for now.

Am I setting myself up for long term damage now that I'm natural? Can one truly have an oil free regimen with natural hair and achieve great growth?

Help!

To answer your question, no. Plenty of naturals don't use oil for various reasons, and as far as I can tell they have minimal problems. There is even a popular no-oil routine that naturals have been using for years. But as your hair grows it's needs will change, and as long as you pay attention you should be o.k. Congrats on your BC.

Back