Oil-based moisturizer for natural hair

Mocha1111

I am looking for a good oil-based moisturizer (I don't want to say grease) for my daughter's natural hair. I am currently using Carrot Oil Cream by Africa's Best and EPQ Mango Butter, but those are water based, and I would like to try a good oil-based moisturizer for every day use, for her scalp and also for flat ironing. The water based creams just don't seem to last. The do the job for a little while, but by the end of the day, her scalp is dry and flaky and her hair looks dry. Any suggestions appreciated...Thanks

Armyqt

What is her hair regime? What is her hair like? And what products do you curretnly use? I like using coconut oil on frshly washed hair as a base. Moisturizers perform better when i do this. After the coconut nut, I spray Sta-Sof Fro to add some moisture. Finally I part each section, put some profective breakfree and and plait it up or do ponytails. Profective can be used daily or every two days. It just depends on how often you redo her hair. hth

Mocha1111

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
What is her hair regime? What is her hair like? And what products do you curretnly use? I like using coconut oil on frshly washed hair as a base. Moisturizers perform better when i do this. After the coconut nut, I spray Sta-Sof Fro to add some moisture. Finally I part each section, put some profective breakfree and and plait it up or do ponytails. Profective can be used daily or every two days. It just depends on how often you redo her hair. hth

[/ QUOTE ]

My daughter's hair type is 4b. I wash every two weeks. I am currently using Pantene Relaxed and Natural on her hair. I flat iron after washing (after air drying of course)or I braid it up. I use a little BioSilk Silk Therapy if flat ironing and Mango butter or Carrot daily.

Armyqt

Panten is great for naturals. For flatironing, I weould definitely recommend coconut oil though. It makes the press last longer. For maintaining the press, CD HHD and Hair milk work great.

For regular plaiting I would say coconut oil, Sta Sof Fro and profectiv breakfree. You will be AMAZED how soft and moisturized her hair will be.

Mocha1111

I've heard a lot about coconut oil. Next time I go to the BSS I'll look for some. I checked out the Carol's Daughter hair products. They are so expensive! I was looking at the mimosa honey and the healthy hair butter. The total for those two came to $24.00.

shebababy

Mocha, if you don't mind ordering off the internet theres a website called crabapplesoaps that sell coconut oil for $2.00 a pound.

sweetpea5000

I mix coconut oil and shea butter together and that is my main oil based conditioner...it leaves my hair so soft, but it isn't too greasy feeling. I usually use a water based moisturizer on my hair first. You could and some essential oils to your blend if you want it to have a nice scent.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:
I mix coconut oil and shea butter together and that is my main oil based conditioner...it leaves my hair so soft, but it isn't too greasy feeling. I usually use a water based moisturizer on my hair first. You could and some essential oils to your blend if you want it to have a nice scent.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA Sweetpea, that sounds like a great combo. I must try this

sweetpea5000

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA Sweetpea, that sounds like a great combo. I must try this

[/ QUOTE ]

Just scoop it out of the containers and mash it up together. It really works great!!!

Chimma

I do the olive oil/shea butter combo, and I love it - it works great.

But as a true product junkie at heart, i'm considering trying your method. What is the difference between olive oil and coconut oil for the hair?

sweetpea5000

Chimma, I read your post and wondered the same thing myself. I tried to look it up to see if there was any real difference but I couldn't find anything. I found that both oils are good for the hair....alot of websites seemed to say that Jojoba oil is the best because it is like our natural sebum. I am still doing more research to see if I can come up with an even better concoction. You've got me thinking of adding some olive oil to the mix....

Yes, I'm a PJ too! Guilty as charged!!

sterry

I have tried Coconut oil by itself and found that it left my hair hard.

For a good moisturizing conditioner I was making my own with a bit of Regis Hydrating balm, rosemary oil, jojoba oil, emu oil and water. Mix and place in spray bottle.
This worked well.

Now I use Dabur Vatika Premium cocnut Hair Oil. Ingredients inclued coconut oil, neem leaves, Brahmi, Amla, Harar, Bahera, Kapurkachri, henna, CM Water, Cow Milk, Rosemary Oil, Lemon Oil. This has a very strong smell but after 2 days becomes plesant. It says on the bottlet that it is an intensive conditioning treatment which nourishes your hair from the roots leaving it shiny, more manageable and tangle free. It does all this and more!

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]I just did that today. DANG my hair is... there's not even a word for it. I'm sooooo happy. my hair feels GOOD!!! Soft, moisturized. I'm definitely going to keep on doing that. I already had all these products but i never thawt to layer them on like that.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]I just did that today. DANG my hair is... there's not even a word for it. I'm sooooo happy. my hair feels GOOD!!! Soft, moisturized. I'm definitely going to keep on doing that. I already had all these products but i never thawt to layer them on like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's wonderful Bellydancer. I'm soo glad it worked for you

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
Norma15 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Netta1 said:
Carols daughter products.

[/ QUOTE ]
yup yup cD hhb Or the milk or some m magic

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I would agree

nijilah

When I get these braids out, I will have to do a test to see which is better, if either, olive oil/shea butter combo OR coconut oil/shea butter combo.

At times when I have conditioned my hair, I have add either of them to the conditioner and the hair always untangled well and was so soft and shiney. I think that all 3 of the products are great for hair!

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's wonderful Bellydancer. I'm soo glad it worked for you

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still in awe... damn... i'm so happy i could kiss you. lol but i won't tho